Jump to content

Buffalo Bayou Master Plan


crunchtastic

Recommended Posts

San Antonio has a tunnel that protects their downtown area. HouChron has an article about it and whether Houston's can work.

"The tunnel provides a case study for Houston engineers analyzing whether to build something similar to protect the nation’s fourth-largest city."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/environment/article/San-Antonio-hidden-downtown-flood-tunnel-Houston-16792388.php

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Amlaham said:

It's the little projects like these that makes the city a whole lot nicer. This site went from a parking lot to part of the trail and now this memorial will be another addition to make the trail even more cohesive and inviting. Hate that the jails and Sheriffs office sits on probably the best lots in Houston, but it is what it is :)  

Yep I agree. In the unusual case for Houston, we grew so fast that all the little infill projects that make neighborhoods dynamic and energetic were far and few between because we were/are so spaced out. It's nice to see us adding layers to our neighborhoods now. 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

since the population center of Houston is now west of the loop, maybe it makes sense to move the criminal justice wing over to the Galleria area? lol

seriously though, I hope that this area and the east end of the bayou starts seeing more traffic, this isn't too far from the place on the bayou that cyclists were getting mugged.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/2/2022 at 11:43 AM, Amlaham said:

Hate that the jails and Sheriffs office sits on probably the best lots in Houston, but it is what it is :)  

I've often find myself obsessing over the idea of moving the sheriff's office, jails, inmate intake, county administration building and courthouses out of downtown and into some new civic center complex (and yes, I know that Houston already technically has a neighborhood called Civic Center; they can move city hall too and keep the building itself as historic). That area is susceptible to flooding anyway (as Harvey showed, disrupting court operations for over a year), and the city of Houston already wants to build a new public safety facility to house the city court, HPD Headquarters, and the Central Precinct. The city and county have already combined their prisoner intake and jail facilities, not sure why they haven't put their heads together to move the facilities to a more palatable location.

 

On 2/2/2022 at 1:44 PM, samagon said:

since the population center of Houston is now west of the loop, maybe it makes sense to move the criminal justice wing over to the Galleria area? lol

That...might not actually be a bad idea. The only problem is that the level of development might forgo moving there. South and East Houston/Harris County are comparatively under developed in comparison.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/2/2022 at 1:44 PM, samagon said:

since the population center of Houston is now west of the loop, maybe it makes sense to move the criminal justice wing over to the Galleria area? lol

seriously though, I hope that this area and the east end of the bayou starts seeing more traffic, this isn't too far from the place on the bayou that cyclists were getting mugged.

While that makes sense when looking at overall population growth, in terms of future density it needs to stay where it is. Inner Loop Houston (97 sq miles) is only 15% of the total amount of land that makes up Houston, but almost 1/4 of the total population lives here. Density is about 4.5k people per square mile compared to the city average at 3.5k per square mile. And that number is going to continue to grow as more and more development in the Loop continues. A third of all development in the city is inside the Loop, and most of it is beginning in the most well known inner city neighborhoods like The Heights, Downtown, Montrose, etc.

Edited by j_cuevas713
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

While that makes sense when looking at overall population growth, in terms of future density it needs to stay where it is. Inner Loop Houston (97 sq miles) is only 15% of the total amount of land that makes up Houston, but almost 1/4 of the total population lives here. Density is about 4.5k people per square mile compared to the city average at 3.5k per square mile. And that number is going to continue to grow as more and more development in the Loop continues. A third of all development in the city is inside the Loop, and most of it is beginning in the most well known inner city neighborhoods like The Heights, Downtown, Montrose, etc.

I was mainly joking about moving it to the Galleria area, seeing a picture of the joint processing center right next to Tilman Fertitta's new hotel just got me laughing a bit.

it would be really nice if the area that all that stuff sits on now could be used for something else that might bring more people downtown on weekends, but where else would all that stuff go that the neighbors wouldn't fight tooth/nail to keep it from coming?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/8/2022 at 7:57 AM, samagon said:

but where else would all that stuff go that the neighbors wouldn't fight tooth/nail to keep it from coming?

East Houston near the ports and refineries? A field in the middle of South Houston somewhere. Or maybe they can knock down the apartments in Gulfton and put it there. And if the residents complain, tell them they can stay and be guaranteed three square meals and a cot to sleep on, but won't be able to leave whenever they want.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Big E said:

East Houston near the ports and refineries? A field in the middle of South Houston somewhere. Or maybe they can knock down the apartments in Gulfton and put it there. And if the residents complain, tell them they can stay and be guaranteed three square meals and a cot to sleep on, but won't be able to leave whenever they want.

Maybe it could replace the Greenspoint Mall. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gene said:

Wait what about Chess King and Merry Go Round though!!!???!!!

 

Their clothes are now being sold in the retro resale shops on Lower Westheimer (in case you have an urge for a polyester disco shirt and double-knit flares).

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 12:00 PM, hindesky said:

According to an email I received, Night Life is happening this April 2nd.

https://buffalobayou.org/event/night-light/

"Buffalo Bayou Partnership (BBP) and Aurora Picture Show present Night Light, an evening of free video art along a ¾ mile stretch of Buffalo Bayou East trails. Houston artists Julia Barbosa-Landois, Marcelese Cooper, and Input/Output have been commissioned to create new, site-specific, media art works for a landing, an understructure of a bridge, and decommissioned gravel silos along the waterfront." 

Looks cool, too bad I'm out of town this weekend.  :(   Maybe in the future they could make a city wide Night Light like Signal Festival in Prague...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EaDo Lou said:

On Friday, I rode past the area near where the Jose Campos Torres Memorial will be and I noticed that there was some tents and chairs set up.  I wonder if they are about to open the new bike trail?

 

Dedication of the plaza is happening tomorrow at 1PM

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, sapo2367 said:

Will it be open permanently soon?

From the earlier render I once posted this should be getting a canopy and a fountain wall so I don't think this is finished yet. Don't know when it will be back open.

UGjxYYW.png

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, hindesky said:

From the earlier render I once posted this should be getting a canopy and a fountain wall so I don't think this is finished yet. Don't know when it be back open.

UGjxYYW.png

Do we know if this is definitely happening? Is it safe to get my hopes up? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey for those that go to Buffalo Bayou along Allen Parkway and park a car: Beware of car break-ins.

Yesterday i was on my bike ride and noticed the areas that you can park that face the trees and not the park where the volleyball court etc, there was tons of broken glass...I saw no less that 6 spaces that had shattered glass and oddly enough new cars were parked there knowing that cars are being broken into. So to clarify the location, if i am on the bikepath along Buffalo Bayou heading east towards downtown on Allen Parkway just before the large park with the volleyball court on my left, there are lots of spaces to park that face the slightly secluded rose bush rest area and trees etc and that is where these crimes happen. I am betting when i ride by today all the glass will still be there...maybe more from the new cars that continue to park there. While parking is limited, if i got out of my car to tons of broken glass, i would think twice before parking there...but whatever 🤔

Just fyi...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, gene said:

Hey for those that go to Buffalo Bayou along Allen Parkway and park a car: Beware of car break-ins.

Yesterday i was on my bike ride and noticed the areas that you can park that face the trees and not the park where the volleyball court etc, there was tons of broken glass...I saw no less that 6 spaces that had shattered glass and oddly enough new cars were parked there knowing that cars are being broken into. So to clarify the location, if i am on the bikepath along Buffalo Bayou heading east towards downtown on Allen Parkway just before the large park with the volleyball court on my left, there are lots of spaces to park that face the slightly secluded rose bush rest area and trees etc and that is where these crimes happen. I am betting when i ride by today all the glass will still be there...maybe more from the new cars that continue to park there. While parking is limited, if i got out of my car to tons of broken glass, i would think twice before parking there...but whatever 🤔

Just fyi...

Yeah if you park in any of the lots along the BBP there is glass everywhere. Also over by Spotts park and Cleveland park. Just don't leave anything out in the open in your car and you'll be fine.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, sapo2367 said:

Woo! Now keep it going and connect up the white oak trailhead :)

I asked them on their IG if work will continue eastbound and they said that when finished it will go all the way to the Ship Channel Turning Basin.

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Saw the Van and Sons Drilling crew doing core samples at the southwest corner of the Jensen St. bridge next to the bike trail. Worker said they have been drilling along both sides of the bank all around the area. For that reason I think this is Buffalo Bayou Trail related, he didn't know what was being built here though. I've seen this company drilling core samples all around Houston, they did the Texas Tower, 3615 Montrose, 1920 W. Alabama and countless other sites.

YKBHJE7.jpg

PvXa0tQ.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/18/2022 at 3:56 PM, hindesky said:

It's only .4 miles long but it's progress, hopefully they are still working to link this to the MKT/White Oak trail just 1/2 mile away.

1m21CuH.jpg

JKZ1mjx.jpg

ZuTfyNG.jpg

oqAM3vx.jpg

God, an Allen's Landing bridge would be amazing

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hopefully something will be named after him in this city, other than helping to grow Enron (which he left in 96) he has done a lot of really great stuff for Houston.

it probably mentions it in the article on click2houston, but there's a total of $310,000,000 federal, local, and philanthropic money (which includes Kinder). if I am reading things right, this donation put them over the threshold to start the project.

it's kind of obvious, but this plus east river, east end is is going to lose the status as an affordable inside the loop option.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...