Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

houstonfella

and for Monarch here is a photo of all the cranes downtown haha (a photograph of my buddy, model Mitchell taken by me this past saturday!) 

might be a little warm for that jacket...

on another note... Gene, can you draw me like one of your french girls?

;)

• Like 3

You build a park with the river you have, not the river you might wish you had. Buffalo Bayou is a bayou. It is slow-moving and muddy. I will never be blue. If something were done to turn it blue, it would no longer be Buffalo Bayou; it would be some twisted abomination playacting at something it never was. 

• Like 7

Thats why we have lazy river water attractions. So people who like to float or swim in blue water can pretend their floating down that mountain stream with limestone banks. None of the rivers that flow through the eastern half of Texas are blue. They all have muddy

bottoms and no rocks to filter the sediments. You're just going to have to live with it the way it is. Its a bayou.

• Like 3

Thats why we have lazy river water attractions. So people who like to float or swim in blue water can pretend their floating down that mountain stream with limestone banks.

Don't forget the "Crystal Lagoons" at least 5 developers around Houston are looking into building.

"We currently have five projects in negotiation in the Houston market. They are in several submarkets and the clients are not yet ready to announce the projects," Man said. "We always keep our clients info confidential until they are ready to announce."

Ongoing negotiations between two undisclosed Houston-area communities will hopefully yield the first local "crystal lagoon" by 2016

http://m.chron.com/neighborhood/homes/article/Suburban-communities-to-embrace-high-tech-lagoons-6453260.php

• Like 1

Don't tell Linda Ronstadt.

I believe she was singing metaphorically, or perhaps about a bayou named after the Blue family.

At least I hope so.

Then again, if it's southern Louisiana she's singing about, there's no telling what sort of icky goo might be in there.

Is there anything that can be done to make the waters of buffalo bayou a little more blue?

Believe it or not, the Bayou was reportedly clear enough to see the bottom once upon a time.  There are some references to that in some early Houston books/diaries (and not just Allen Bros. marketing material).  Apparently there was a favorite swimming hole somewhere near where the Pierce Elevated is now.. 

Up until 6-8 years ago, the Sabine Bridge had some interesting structures at the base of the pilings in the middle of the Bayou.  There were concrete stairs cast into the concrete and a vented or grated concrete platform around the sides.  I always assumed it dated to when kids actually used to swim around there and was a place to climb up and dive in.  It has since been removed -- looks like it was jackhammered out -- but you can still see the remnants if you look.

The historical swimming holes around there and other places nearby were spring fed.  They all dried up soon after development occurred in surrounding areas. If there ever was any clear water in the bayou it was likely due to these flows. Technically the goal is to get Buffalo Bayou safe enough for swimming but this isn't very realistic and is probably only the goal because of federal regulations. 

Don't tell Linda Ronstadt.

I believe she was singing metaphorically, or perhaps about a bayou named after the Blue family.

At least I hope so.

Then again, if it's southern Louisiana she's singing about, there's no telling what sort of icky goo might be in there.

Yeah, there's a bayou in Louisiana named "Blue Bayou".    I don't have any idea how it got its name.

Between the Buffalo Bayou Park grand opening, the 10th Heights Bicycle Scavenger Hunt and Houston HTX Sunday Streets and the projected nice weather on Sat. and Sun. I will be putting in lots of miles on the bicycle this weekend.

http://buffalobayou.org/event/bbpark-grand-opening/

Heights Bicycle Scavenger Hunt.

http://www.artshound.com/event/detail/441930645

HTX Sunday Streets

http://gohealthyhouston.org/sundaystreetshtx/

• Like 4