Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

houstonfella

Thinking more about the Buffalo Bayou Master Plan....if they are able to complete a full scale park and trail restoration from Shepherd all the way to the turning basin on the East Side of downtown, complete with new residential along the park, how would it compare to other urban parks around the US?  My view is that it would be truly unique in its scale and connectivity, but I'm admittedly limited in my awareness of comparable urban parks.  

long story short, I hope it happens, and I hope it is awesome.

• Like 3

Yeah that's pretty much the only option unless someone got creative with a bayou boardwalk trail (way more appealing surroundings, immersed in nature, but you'd have to skip back and forth across the banks a few times to avoid private residences, and constructing such a thing down in the bayou area would be tricky without prefabricating everything and flying it in in sections with a helicopter, making it a logistics nightmare). Maybe they can pave an additional lane along the south side of Memorial and make it a separated bike lane like the downtown/Lamar route? Or maybe an elevated bike lane like Copenhagen did with the Bicycle Snake(?) bridge.

• 2 weeks later...

Which segment of Buffalo Bayou do you wish had "elevated walking areas"? I'm not sure I'm understanding you because I consider the current/new sidewalks along the banks of Sabine to Shepherd to fit the descriptions you listed.

I agree though, it would be cool to see planked boardwalks along major bodies of water in the Houston area.. Specifically Clear Lake and the areas around Stewart Beach where the sea wall/road curves slightly away from the shore and there is more room for a boardwalk alongside sand and attractions.

I wish they would have made the banks of 'lost lake' more like those of disco green. more natural, less sterile. Maybe I need to wait until it's done and open, but it just looks too sterile for the rest of buffalo bayou park, where, for the most part, it all appears to fit with the nature of the place.

Thinking more about the Buffalo Bayou Master Plan....if they are able to complete a full scale park and trail restoration from Shepherd all the way to the turning basin on the East Side of downtown, complete with new residential along the park, how would it compare to other urban parks around the US?  My view is that it would be truly unique in its scale and connectivity, but I'm admittedly limited in my awareness of comparable urban parks.  

long story short, I hope it happens, and I hope it is awesome.

They need to figure out a way to get a hike/bike trail from the turning basin down to brays bayou. There's plenty of removed railroad tracks that would be good use for this near/at turning basin. It wouldn't be perfect, as a path along the bayou that goes to the convergence of brays and buffalo would be best, but industry gets in the way of this.

Some pictures of the trail link between Sesquicentennial park and Allen's Landing. Like most projects downtown, it's progressing slow and steady

IMG_1470_zpslugmyyfx.jpg

Cool.  Now that the Donnellan crypt is going to be accessible, are there any plans to put up a plaque or something?  I think it's a pretty interesting relic.

Cool.  Now that the Donnellan crypt is going to be accessible, are there any plans to put up a plaque or something?  I think it's a pretty interesting relic.

I've posed that question to them before via email and  their response was "Yes, these historical elements are being incorporated into the design and we will have interpretive info." 

So that is fairly encouraging.

• Like 2

No lie I could see myself jumping into lost lake after a long ride.

On the bayou side of the water works, I am trying to piece it together in my head, but it almost looks like there will be water features that you can walk in/through. It's hard to tell though.

Next time I ride that way on my bike, I'll try to remember to stop and take a snap of it from the bayou looking at the water works, and from the water works looking at the bayou.

Usually riding in buffalo bayou park I always end up more frustrated with the inconsiderate people who block the paths by walking 2 or 3 abreast, or completely stopped and chatting in the middle of the paths. I had to stop to pass someone who was just standing in the middle of the path yesterday. I asked them if they could stand in the grass to chat and they looked at me as if my hair were on fire.

Anyway, no matter, it will be great once all this stuff is finished, and the rebuild of Allen Parkway too. That will be awesome, and there will be even more people using these facilities. Which is great for our city.

• Like 2