HAIF - Houston's original social media

Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

15 minutes ago, Texasota said:

I sympathize with your skepticism and also worry that this will remain surface, but I do think there's room for a residential building there and think that would be the ideal use. What would have been better (from my perspective) would be if the Parks Board/BBP had purchased the lot and then put out an RFP for a building on it.

But I also don't really agree that "this really boils down to is, do you want a narrower park or a wider park along the bayou".  I want the park to be wide where there's a programmed benefit to that width and narrower where that width makes less sense. Given the wider sections between Caroline and Austin and Fannin and San Jacinto, plus the proximity of Allen's Landing and James Bute Park, I actually thinks it makes for a better, more interesting experience for the park to narrow here to make room for something else. As long as it's still wide enough to be useful and "something else" doesn't just stay a surface parking lot. 

I'll of course take a park over a parking lot in a heartbeat, but I think this lot is uniquely positioned to work well for a building (of some sort) despite its relative proximity to the bayou.

Shrug. I guess the Riverwalk in San Antonio is an example of where close commercial development makes the experience more interesting. I liked the original vision in the 2002 Master Plan where everything north of Commerce would be cleared out and you'd have a "Commerce Street Promenade," but that isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

commerce-st.png

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 2
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is this new? Buffalo Bayou East Master Plan

This is by the Midway East River, looks like trail work on either side of the of Jensen Rd. north bank.East side looks like new work west of the bridge looks like they are removing silt from existing

Posted Images

1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

Shrug. I guess the Riverwalk in San Antonio is an example of where close commercial development makes the experience more interesting. I liked the original vision in the 2002 Master Plan where everything north of Commerce would be cleared out and you'd have a "Commerce Street Promenade," but that isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

commerce-st.png

That rendering is really throwing me off. The area around UHD looks like it's reversed like it's mirrored, but then Minute Maid Park is in the right place. My head hurts! 😄

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, JLWM8609 said:

That rendering is really throwing me off. The area around UHD looks like it's reversed like it's mirrored, but then Minute Maid Park is in the right place. My head hurts! 😄

You can't really see UHD in this. Off to the right. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

commerce-st.png

According to the new East Sector Plan, there will be a promenade on the North Canal similar in appearance to what was depicted for the Commerce street promenade in the original Master plan. Interestingly the North Canal would give the warehouse district a riverfront. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Sunstar said:

According to the new East Sector Plan, there will be a promenade on the North Canal similar in appearance to what was depicted for the Commerce street promenade in the original Master plan. Interestingly the North Canal would give the warehouse district a riverfront. 

That's good. Both would be better.

• 4 weeks later...