Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

houstonfella

wasnt it at NRG/Astroworld plot the first year? Or was that some sort of Bayou Music Fesfival(?) thing I'm thinking of?

Someone had the not so bright idea of moving the International Fest there around the time Reliant opened.  they thought the parking lot would end up serving as some sort of Fairgrounds.  Hot, treeless, asphalt fairgrounds.  Total buzzkill.  It was only there for one year but that one year was enough to drive the first nail in the coffin of that thing...

• Like 2

I sold my tickets (8 of them). It was pretty easy to sell, I was a little worried when I saw so many people selling after the announcement. But there are still buyers.

I am very disappointed, I'd like to be upset with them but I'm sure it was a very hard decision to make. And I'm guessing it was driven by the park itself more than the organizers. They listed safety has a concern which I think is BS. I was out there yesterday and the ground was soft but easily manageable. Last year after a torrential downpour which delayed the start (only because of lightning) it was a mess, exremely wet and muddy and the show went on. I assume the Buffalo Bayou partnership is worried about the damage.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I kept my tickets, It wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be. I obviously would prefer having it on the bayou, but it was a decent back up. 

Agreed.  I thought it was going to be horrible.  It was still probably my least favorite FPSF (have been to all but the first), but it wasn't as bad as I expected.  They do need to return to Eleanor Tinsley and raise the profile of the performers though.  I like a lot of the bands each year but it just doesn't measure up to other, similarly priced festivals in terms of the bands.

The Suffers won FPSF this year by the way.

Yea, was surprised not one of my friends gave up their tickets. Had fancy pants and, with less shade this year, I am so glad I got them. As others have said, I thought it was going to be just awful when I heard we would be walking around on parking lot the entire time. But I gotta admit, it was pretty good and the choice of hosting it there wasn't that bad at all. I mainly went to the EDM shows (Skrillex, ML, Steve Angello, etc.)... next year I hope they have more high profile and indie rock bands, IMO. And yes, they need to keep it at Eleanor Tinsley. Much more photogenic. 

Yea, was surprised not one of my friends gave up their tickets. Had fancy pants and, with less shade this year, I am so glad I got them. As others have said, I thought it was going to be just awful when I heard we would be walking around on parking lot the entire time. But I gotta admit, it was pretty good and the choice of hosting it there wasn't that bad at all. I mainly went to the EDM shows (Skrillex, ML, Steve Angello, etc.)... next year I hope they have more high profile and indie rock bands, IMO. And yes, they need to keep it at Eleanor Tinsley. Much more photogenic.

Triton confirmed for tripping balls at FPSF
  • Like 2

I live 1.5 miles from Tinsley Park and have gone to all 7 FPSF. I ride my bicycle to the event at Tinsley as it's the easiest to access and exit the event. I was about to sell my tickets this year with the move but decided to help support our local hometown promoters and all they have done for the local music scene. I was expecting the worst and was surprised how well it turned out. I took the light rail both days and it was packed to the gills with other fest goers. But I hope they move back to the Tinsley park next year. They will have access to the new concert pavilion over the cistern next year and it should help but they need to stop using Allen Parkway for some of the smaller stages as it makes the already narrow road too congested.

• Like 1

They have booths (food, drinks, etc) set up along the east bound side. Some small stages right along the main lanes. Then areas of port-a-poties or other amenities. And its really the only east-west corrider since the hills and grass have the big stages and all the people camped out. So yes the last two years ('13 and '14) Allen Parkway felt quite narrow with the number of concert goers attending. It wasn't bad, but definitely a few bottlenecks every once and a while.

At Tinsley we could walk there, so I never bother with Fancy Pants. Being able to go home and get out of the heat in the middle of the afternoon and use the bathroom, grab a few drinks, and head back was key (especially to my wife). I would have still gone this year but our group vetoed and I wasn't that excited about the lineup. Suffers were high on my list. I'll have to catch them some other time...

I heard from some kids (maybe teens or young 20s) that the HPD presence was really high. They claim they saw some undercovers arresting a group for smoking pot.

• Like 1

Eleanor Tinsley just feels like Houston.  You have downtown in the background, you are along a bayou, and it is unique.  I can't think of anywhere that they can have it that would beat that.  The big issue is there is definitely space constraints there and I know they don't want to cap the ticket allotment.

• Like 2

Yeah I know this was the last year they had a contract with the city for hosting it at Eleanor Tinsley. If they can figure out a way to host it on both sides of the bayou utilizing the new concert pavilion over the cistern then they could resolve some of those capacity issues.

Yeah I know this was the last year they had a contract with the city for hosting it at Eleanor Tinsley. If they can figure out a way to host it on both sides of the bayou utilizing the new concert pavilion over the cistern then they could resolve some of those capacity issues.

Why would the new concert pavilion be built if not for something like FPSF? They could alternate set times between the two stages on it and do away with some of the congestion created by the stages on the Allen Parkway. Close off half of Sabine St so the people living at the lofts could get in and out.  Continue to move east toward Sam Houston Park and Bagby St. like they did last year and for the NYE concert they did in 2013.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't quite make out all of the far end of the lake on the second photo, but is it fed by a storm drain, or just stand alone?

I don't know how it's going to work when everything is done....but you can see the terraced area at the far end of the water....it looks like it might be fed from there.....there is also the big round "tube" in the first pic...not sure how it's all going to work...

I don't know how it's going to work when everything is done....but you can see the terraced area at the far end of the water....it looks like it might be fed from there.....there is also the big round "tube" in the first pic...not sure how it's all going to work...

I figured the round tube would be for overflow, which would run through to other side of the curved wall. 

I figured the round tube would be for overflow, which would run through to other side of the curved wall. 

You're probably right about that - when I was taking pictures last weekend there was a ladder in the tube, so it goes down quite a ways...probably to the curved wall like you said..

They put up a new "sign" or display piece that says "Buffalo Bayou is back!" with flower cutouts all around it, lots of bright colors and pretty big. Its on the sidewalk railing at the corner of Taft and Allen facing south. Looks like it was either done by the city or a talented 10 year old girl with some resources. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow, it snuck up on me this morning.