Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

houstonfella

15441436690_3553da26df_h.jpg

Buffalo Bayou Park by marclongoria, on Flickr

A bit of a soapbox observation I suppose, but the city is so much more beautiful with power lines hidden from view. Beautiful shot Triton.

I'm embarrassed as a Houstonian every time ESPN shows the Downtown view from the new TDECU Stadium due to the visual blight of the power lines along Scott. Opportunity missed.

• Like 4

I'm glad that switch does not exist.

Which is why houston is and always will be ugly. It takes no effort to keep vines from literally choking out trees, and people accept it here for some strange reason. Hwy 59 has so much potential, but the vines look aweful, and literally haven't been trimmed since the freeway was completed. Thankfully, the guys redoing buffalo bayou are addressing the invasive vines and removing them. That's my opinion, but clearly not shared by everyone.

Which is why houston is and always will be ugly. It takes no effort to keep vines from literally choking out trees, and people accept it here for some strange reason. Hwy 59 has so much potential, but the vines look aweful, and literally haven't been trimmed since the freeway was completed. Thankfully, the guys redoing buffalo bayou are addressing the invasive vines and removing them. That's my opinion, but clearly not shared by everyone.

So Houston is "ugly" because of vines? . . . Seems exaggerated in my opinion. Also the vines on 59 were planted on purpose.

• Like 3

I think the stretch of 59 from the downtown spur to Kirby is the most attractive section of freeway in Houston. 

The greening of the freeways make it much less harsh and is a pleasure to the eyes. Since I just go across the bridges and don't spend much time on it I agree with SWTSIG we need more of this type of improvements to all of our freeways. 

I always liked how L.A. took care to landscape their freeways and I applaud TEXDOT for finally wising up.

• Like 6

I just hired a young lady from LA and she was complimenting Houston on its greenery and how cleaner it is than LA. She even mentioned how our downtown was a lot nicer aswell. This shows the progress Of projects like these that change the perception of outsiders who visit our wonderful city. Btw, she finally found our downtown after mistaking it for uptown or TMC. It was quite entertaining.

• Like 3

I think I-10 from downtown to 6-10 interchange will be nice too when the trees grow in. Also, 45 North around the heights is nice because there are sizable trees there too.

Observation? Trees in empty spaces around freeways is a win-win. It helps contain and mitigate freeway noise / it beautifies the drive / it recreates Houston's original landscape. Overall, it helps Houston reverse the ugly image. Memorial Drive and Allen Parkway are really beautiful with the bayou improvements.

• Like 2

I know this thread is about Buffalo Bayou, but one last thing about our freeways. If we could just get rid of the remaining billboards I would be much happier.

It seems like there are a lot less on some and it really makes a huge difference.

Less is more!

• Like 3

the vines on 59 are great. The invasive vines that are killing trees along parts of Buffalo Bayou are not so great. They look cool now, but when the trees they climb on are dead, they wont look so cool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudzu_in_the_United_States

Uh-oh...has kudzu made it this far west?  When I lived in Atlanta during the '90's people were looking for ways to commercialize kudzu products in hopes that businesses would try to harvest it as a control method (because other types of control weren't working).

I don't think you guys are getting the point. Vines that are maintained looked great. Vines that are never maintained look aweful. 59 is an example of vines that aren't maintained. Go look closely at 59. Vines have literally taken over a street light to where it is not visible. Half of them are dead, and some others have never been trimmed and fallen off the wall onto to the roadway. If you plant vines, great. But maintain it at least twice a year. Give me the new landscaping on I10 every day over 59. It's not the greenery thats ugly, it's the complete lack of care given to it. If what you see makes you guys happy, I think we can do better. TxDOT has taken something that could be awesome and completely turned it into something not so much.

• Like 3

I think I-10 from downtown to 6-10 interchange will be nice too when the trees grow in. Also, 45 North around the heights is nice because there are sizable trees there too.

Observation? Trees in empty spaces around freeways is a win-win. It helps contain and mitigate freeway noise / it beautifies the drive / it recreates Houston's original landscape. Overall, it helps Houston reverse the ugly image. Memorial Drive and Allen Parkway are really beautiful with the bayou improvements.

The two nicest stretches of freeway in the city are 59 between the spur and Shepherd, and the Hardy Toll Road connector to IAH.

Not coincidentally, these are also among the only stretches of freeway in the city w/o feeder roads.

• Like 2

I think the stretch of 59 from the downtown spur to Kirby is the most attractive section of freeway in Houston. 

The greening of the freeways make it much less harsh and is a pleasure to the eyes.

The trees along the West Loop appear to be gaining height and starting to provide some screening of the neighborhoods. They've just planted trees along I-10 from downtown out to 610, and it already looks nice. Where they've done this it's been a good thing.

jt16  

I agree that they should do a better job of manicuring the Jasmine( I believe its called), but still I prefer this section to just about every other.

I did notice that 610 at I-10 interchange has grown up and is looking much better. I just really think the landscaping softens the harshness of the stark concrete, hides some of the ugly feeder minutia, and makes for a much more enjoyable drive.

Now if we could just get some control over the millions of individual signage for every individual retail space on the feeders and maybe allow just one pole per strip center.

I know these companies need their signage, but it really is an overload and with so many signs its sometimes hard to see the one your looking for anyway.

Once the renovation of Buffalo Bayou is complete, do you all think this will be the premier park in Houston or will Herman Park keep that title?

Why do you hate poor Memorial Park?

I think they're different things, and I'm not sure why they need to compete for "premier" status. Herman Park is a more traditional, carefully manicured park with major attractions (zoo, museums) surrounding it. Buffalo Bayou Park is both a more practical (running/cycling trails, can be used for commuters coming downtown) and more "wild" park.

Personally, I prefer Buffalo Bayou and Memorial as "parks," but I would almost describe Herman Park as an exaggerated plaza. It has a different function and I think it's very successful on those terms.

• Like 2