Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

houstonfella

Depending upon the tide I have seen pretty good size motor boats come up and dock at Allen's landing.

They just have to be careful for low tide. I had some customers at Cabos, that would come up from the bay and

I also think a few years back during one of the boat shows they brought up a couple of boats for publicity.

I know that they use skimmer boats to fight the litter on the surface. I wouldn't suggest trying to go any further than Allen's

Landing though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thrilled with how this project is turning out. If only it weren't sandwiched between two freeways. I think there's an opportunity to turn Allen Parkway into more of an urban boulevard and enhance access from the south. As it stands, there's almost a mile between safe crossing locations east of Montrose. That's not how a city capitalizes on a gem of an urban park.

I'm thrilled with how this project is turning out. If only it weren't sandwiched between two freeways. I think there's an opportunity to turn Allen Parkway into more of an urban boulevard and enhance access from the south. As it stands, there's almost a mile between safe crossing locations east of Montrose. That's not how a city capitalizes on a gem of an urban park.

That's always been my biggest beef with this project. Where I live, it's easy to come to this project since there are entry ways all the way from Sabine to Sawyer and then down towards Waugh and Shepherd. But from the south because of Allen Parkway, it is quite difficult. Montrose's sidewalks are in disrepair, Shepherd is quite difficult on that side to pass and there's only one foot bridge towards downtown that gives you a somewhat decent assess.

I thought the "South Canal" was just the current course of Buffalo Bayou, downstream of where White Oak Bayou joins it.  Is that right?  If its not, where would the current channel be in the rendering above?

While I wish we wouldn't have to deal with the "Little Alcatraz" aspect of the island, I think the greatest benefit provided by the canal would be flood control.  And ... perhaps it would not be impossible to make the banks of both channels attractive to people, especially once a lot more people live in the area who are free to move about :-)

I thought the "South Canal" was just the current course of Buffalo Bayou, downstream of where White Oak Bayou joins it. Is that right? If its not, where would the current channel be in the rendering above?

While I wish we wouldn't have to deal with the "Little Alcatraz" aspect of the island, I think the greatest benefit provided by the canal would be flood control. And ... perhaps it would not be impossible to make the banks of both channels attractive to people, especially once a lot more people live in the area who are free to move about :-)

From the image it looks like two islands are made. There are two bends.

One around the jail that resulted from the bayou looping south.

The second one loops north, right after the jail. Looks like the south connection runs from Labranch, past 59 to Jensen. Not sure though. Can't really tell from the small pic.

Edit: the south canal looks much smaller than the north canal. It looks like the south canal will be more for boosting development than flood control than the north canal. That area north of Minute Maid does need some help

Edited by HoustonIsHome

It looks like the connection work from Sesquicentennial Park to Allen's Landing has begun:

Buffalo Bayou.JPG

Will this Downtown section and Allen's Landing also be outfitted with the Blue Lunar lighting fixtures also?

Will be interesting to see how the Post Office site's redevelopment may possibly tie into this portion of the bayou... could be a game-changer.

Edited by tigereye

Note:  The South Canal is much longer, and serves as a visual for a much greater length than does the North Canal.  Obviously the North Canal will probably happen first, and would be a great addition to the formal area known as Downtown (I honestly do not consider anything the other side of Buffalo or White Oak Bayous to be Downtown).  Both would serve as flood control based on what the BBP has said in documents/online/what have you.

If I am remembering correctly - the Buffalo Bayou Partnership presented the Master Plan post Tropical Storm Allison?  So any large development mentioned at that time was quite clear to have adequate verbiage dedicated to flood control.  Much of the BBP Master Plan is dedicated to flood control with the neighborhoods being proposed around the bayou being mentioned as having porous street surfaces, water basins and storage throughout the site(s) along with new parkscape where water can flood as a natural event without really causing damage.

Personally I've long considered the potential arboretum component built at the old wastewater treatment facility east of Downtown as one of the highlights of the whole plan.

As an aside:  I find this whole project very exciting.  The fact that it is actually happening is beyond amazing in this town of big talk and small work.  Truly estactic about this!  In 20 years we will have a continuous park system along this whole bayou that has cultural/economic/residential impact for the whole region beyond the turning basin.  Really fun to think of what can be.  What will be.

the jails will temper any game changing wishes.....doing my best mary catherine gallagher victory splits "GAME CHANGER!"

The south channel seems unlikely...it is a new channel eliminating Ruiz going under 59 and most of Guadalupe Plaza.

• Like 1

Unlikely at this time, though I believe it is possible in the long term.  Perhaps an alternate route for the canal can be found?

The jails temper much of what could/would be the district just north of Downtown across the Bayou.  Would be interesting to see what will come of that land in 20 or 30 years.  Hopefully it won't take nearly that long for those facilities to be relocated elsewhere.  Like someone else proposed earlier (on this topic or another) maybe we could get a highrise jail facility - like Chicago has?  Or build the county facilities elsewhere?  We can wish.

• Like 1

I don't really have a problem with "Little Alcatraz".  Does making that tract an island really change the development dynamics so that the jails are no longer appropriate for the site?  That said, I do hope that the banks are landscaped as well as the rest of the bayou, although I wouldn't expect a lot of foot traffic there.  

Like someone else proposed earlier (on this topic or another) maybe we could get a highrise jail facility - like Chicago has?  

And there's an obvious candidate structure too:  high-rise, not adjacent to residential, in need of tenants, centrally located:

ExxonMobilBuilding-Jan08-010a.jpg

• Like 1

All this development is wonderful! I really should get down there more often. Now if only they moved the Pierce Elevated to 59 and trench both of those over there.....that would be amazing. Then you would have Downtown connect to this development seamlessly as well as future development of the Bayou East (of course you would still have to have 59/45 go over the water in that area (which you could also make a nice bridge for that as well)).

1-WATE~1.jpg

Posted this on Post Office thread. Since were also discussing "Alcatraz Island" here, thought Id repost here.

Observation: Rendering shows what appears to be the elimination of Franklin St bridge over Buffalo Bayou by rerouting Washinton Ave over some of the Post Office site, then through the middle of North Canal Island to an eventual connection to Runnels/Navigation. Considering the revitalization efforts on both Washington Ave & Navigation Blvd, I'd love if this were to happen and they be connected.

Idea: Since land next to County Jail on Alcatraz Island would be a hard sell to any developer, how about HPD build it's new headquarters and support buildings there. They'd have quick access to 10, 45, and 59 and by next to Criminal Courts as well. And maybe HPD's presence on Alcatraz Island would make it somehow ...less seedy.

I honestly don't know what to think of this...

Opposition to bayou erosion project grows louder

A $6 million plan to tame a mile-and-a-quarter stretch of Buffalo Bayou is drawing an ever-louder outcry from several prominent environmental and conservation groups who say the project aimed at reducing erosion and improving water quality would only make things worse.

Opposition to the so-called Memorial Park Demonstration Project, targeting a segment of the historic bayou that snakes between Memorial Park's secluded southern edge and the River Oaks Country Club golf course, has grown more vocal as a deadline to submit feedback to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers approaches. The project requires a permit from the Corps.

The agency on Thursday announced it would extend the public comment period by 30 days, until June 30, citing "the complexity of the project studies and stream restoration techniques."

Borne of a 2010 workshop hosted by the Bayou Preservation Association, the project calls for reshaping the banks of the bayou that wind past the posh country club, the Hogg Bird Sanctuary, a residential neighborhood and the southernmost border of the 1,503-acre park.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/politics/houston/article/Opposition-to-bayou-erosion-project-grows-louder-5493631.php

Edited by Triton
  • Like 1

Riding on Sunday and yesterday evening, I saw a few security guards on golf carts on the path. I wonder if that is going to be a normal thing?

I saw this too! However, I also saw a couple homeless guys who 'washed' his shirts in the Bayou and had them hanging on a clothes line. 

I've seen him b/f and his little camp seems to be a semi-permanent addition that wasn't necessarily on the master plan.....

So whatever the guards are doing, they're not running off the homeless (not that they should, I just assumed that's what they'd do).

Right now the golf cart guards are mostly staying on the completed section (north bank east of Montrose).  I've been seeing them most days over the last couple weeks.  Presumably they will roam the entire park once the construction is complete.  All they seem to do now is get in the way, though; I've noticed no change in the number of homeless (basically just one guy) over the last year.