crunchtastic

Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

Yeah if you go to the Houston flood maps

http://www.harriscountyfemt.org/

Pretty much the entire park system is designed within the flood plain of the bayou. I'd imagine after any super heavy rain or hurricane, theres going to be money allocated for cleanup of the park. 

From what I remember everything in the park is designed be able to hold up to flooding. Not just the architecture, but also the landscaping and vegetation.

• Like 2

From what I remember everything in the park is designed be able to hold up to flooding. Not just the architecture, but also the landscaping and vegetation.

Yep, exactly what Guy said..

Yeah if you go to the Houston flood maps

http://www.harriscountyfemt.org/

Pretty much the entire park system is designed within the flood plain of the bayou. I'd imagine after any super heavy rain or hurricane, theres going to be money allocated for cleanup of the park. 

well i guess today is the test! haha! 

This has to have flood damage... Just based on everything I've seen

• Like 1

yeah its pretty crazy out there...thankfully my area is fine (galleria) and hope all of you out there are safe and okay too!!! 

The water had already started to subside. I think the bottom floor and some equipment got flooded. 

The water had already started to subside. I think the bottom floor and some equipment got flooded. 

Yea you can tell it was higher because of all the grass/trash/weeds stuck in the railing in the background.

man i wonder how the lot lake area is if what i see is way out of its banks i am sure the lost lake area with that restaurant went under

Lost Lake is underwater but the restaurant and the water fall feature was fine. Dog park was covered with about 20' of water

• Like 3

wowsa ...thanks for the amazing photos...and be safe out there folks!!! 

• Like 1

I guess you should always keep a blow up boat and an oar in your trunk just in case.

Drone footage over Buffalo Bayou.

That North Korean comment made me laugh out loud!

The music stage kinda looks cool with the steps leading to the water.

i'm sure the building feels the same way about you.

I'm sure the building feels warm and fuzzy with you looking out for it.

are you talking about the dog poo sculpture celebrating the awesome dog park nearby? thats what i always refer to it as! 

• Like 1

haha just saw that...to the right of the sculpture! funny!

• Like 2

Did anyone else see a Minotaur at approximately 3:00? What the hell is that in the middle of the screen?

Do you mean Minotaur or Centaur?  :P

It looks like the park's grand opening has been pushed from the end of this month to some time in the fall. The new date hasn't been released yet. 

It doesn't surprise me, flood or no flood, they seemed really far behind on some of these projects for a June grand opening. At least the weather will be cooler then. 

• Like 4

I thought the plan was a fall 2015 opening anyways?

It was originally targeted to open in April, and finally scheduled for June 20th. They sent out a note today stating that it would be rescheduled for the fall, thanks to the heavy rain we've received over the last few months.

I guess you should always keep a blow up boat and an oar in your trunk just in case.

After Allison, I got one of those and keep it in our laundry room upstairs in case we need to go boating from the second story one day.

there's a cleanup scheduled tomorrow for the park at 9am at the tapley tributary open to anyone that can make it.

• Like 8

wasnt it at NRG/Astroworld plot the first year? Or was that some sort of Bayou Music Fesfival(?) thing I'm thinking of?

Free Press Summerfest moved to NRG for those that weren't aware.  What an awful location. 

Yea, I have a lot of friends thinking of asking for refunds. I had no clue this was going to happen but now I'm really glad I got fancy pants. On the bayou, you have trees and bridges for shade. A parking lot with asphalt/concrete everywhere is going to make the heat a whole lot worse.

• Like 3

The music stage kinda looks cool with the steps leading to the water.

The music stage at Panther Island in Fort Worth actually faces the river. For the benefit of the tubers. B)

wasnt it at NRG/Astroworld plot the first year? Or was that some sort of Bayou Music Fesfival(?) thing I'm thinking of?

Someone had the not so bright idea of moving the International Fest there around the time Reliant opened.  they thought the parking lot would end up serving as some sort of Fairgrounds.  Hot, treeless, asphalt fairgrounds.  Total buzzkill.  It was only there for one year but that one year was enough to drive the first nail in the coffin of that thing...

• Like 2

I sold my tickets (8 of them). It was pretty easy to sell, I was a little worried when I saw so many people selling after the announcement. But there are still buyers.

I am very disappointed, I'd like to be upset with them but I'm sure it was a very hard decision to make. And I'm guessing it was driven by the park itself more than the organizers. They listed safety has a concern which I think is BS. I was out there yesterday and the ground was soft but easily manageable. Last year after a torrential downpour which delayed the start (only because of lightning) it was a mess, exremely wet and muddy and the show went on. I assume the Buffalo Bayou partnership is worried about the damage.

• Like 2

I kept my tickets, It wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be. I obviously would prefer having it on the bayou, but it was a decent back up. 

I kept my tickets, It wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be. I obviously would prefer having it on the bayou, but it was a decent back up. 

Agreed.  I thought it was going to be horrible.  It was still probably my least favorite FPSF (have been to all but the first), but it wasn't as bad as I expected.  They do need to return to Eleanor Tinsley and raise the profile of the performers though.  I like a lot of the bands each year but it just doesn't measure up to other, similarly priced festivals in terms of the bands.

The Suffers won FPSF this year by the way.