Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

houstonfella

It's still a Greek church if you ask me, or any orthodox person. It is disgusting to see what they did to those icons

The Hagia Sophia is no longer a mosque - Ataturk made it a museum. But I agree, in my eyes it is an Orthodox church and always will be.

Although the original icons, if I remember correctly, were destroyed not by the Muslims but by the Orthodox themselves during the iconoclast era.

• Like 1

They have nearly everything we need to know on their website and even data to download to explore and manipulate if you have ideas you want to share.  Still can't wait for the verdict

http://portal.smartgeometrics.com/cistern/#prettyPhoto

Huh, so they are going to take off the top of the cistern? Or make it a ramped entrance to the underground chamber? Either way, It's an amazing space that we need to take advantage of!

• 2 weeks later...

I took my daughter to Buffalo Bayou earlier today for the first time and I was more than impressed. It's sad that it took me this long to really get out and walk it but they are doing an incredible job with the trails and vegetation. I can't wait to take her for walks here in the future.

ypa4y7a3.jpg6eseduha.jpgquqedezu.jpg

• Like 7

I've always loved the bayous. I have spent countless hours walking along Brays, White Oak, Greens and Buffalo Bayous.

I have lived in two areas where I could walk out my door and see the bayou. Living near such a park is scary but so rewarding when it doesn't flood :D

I am so excited about the buffalo bayou improvements and cant wait to see the later phases of development. Great resource for the city

This city is missing a monumental opportunity with the bayou downtown. The rebirth of the bayou west of downtown needs to continue into downtown.

I think economically it will happen on its own. We all know that everything revolves around the almighty dollar. Once the Sunset Coffee building is complete, you can expect smaller developments to follow suit.

I find it such an honor to know that our city has one of the top ten public green spaces in America. We are really growing in a smarter way and at a fast rate. This is my theory on the entire situation of what is "Houston." Houston has no zoning, yet the lack of zoning has almost been a plus in the development of some very unique neighborhoods. Sure its created some undesirable areas, but because the city filling in so nice with newer walk friendly developments, the old run down areas of the city are being transformed as well. Just driving down West Alabama and Kirby the other day I saw a small glimpse of where this city is headed. Houston is a very nice city.

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

I was driving down memorial from downtown the other night and it just reaffirmed how transformative this project can be to this city. When completed this will be a true destination for residents and tourists alike. I also couldn't help but envision the south side of Allen parkway lined with high rises, overlooking this wonderfully redone park and feeling excited as to where this city is headed.

• Like 3

Hard work by Anne Olsen, her staff, and Guy Hagstette, for delivering one of the great civic projects  for Houston.

This has been in the works for a very long time and when completed will completely transform this area around Buffalo Bayou into one of the great Urban parks in the U.S.. 

• Like 2

Yeah I love Htown as much as anyone else here but let's not get delusional now. It's still a bayou...

Maybe it won't be the greatest urban park in the world, but a vast improvement over what is existing.

It is a start.  Besides, after this one is finished why not move to reworking other bayous?  Perhaps some will always be channelized but why not try to move towards a more natural state?  Braes (with all its flood control improvements) would be a start.  All that would be needed is some sort of linear line connecting the two (thinking about the railroad tracks that bisect Memorial Park and form the western edge of Highland Village).  If some day those could be worked into a sort of park frontage (assuming eventually the trains will relocate - many years from now - or be submerged!)?  Wishful thinking I know.  Maybe an elevated park could be built to allow walkers/joggers/bikers ?

Would be neat.  Again, wishfull thinking though!

• Like 1

I understand that, but I have seen rivers in other cities that don't look nearly as impressive as Buffalo bayou as small as it is. Once downtown and its confluence with another (White oak) bayou, it actually is a fairly good size body of water.  This transformation would make 

a gully look inviting. There's already a lot of buzz and more curious visitors. No matter the size of the stream it will attract  attention both in visitors and national press. Its going to be a very attractive park.

• Like 1

Maybe it won't be the greatest urban park in the world, but a vast improvement over what is existing.

It is a start.  Besides, after this one is finished why not move to reworking other bayous?  Perhaps some will always be channelized but why not try to move towards a more natural state?  Braes (with all its flood control improvements) would be a start.  All that would be needed is some sort of linear line connecting the two (thinking about the railroad tracks that bisect Memorial Park and form the western edge of Highland Village).  If some day those could be worked into a sort of park frontage (assuming eventually the trains will relocate - many years from now - or be submerged!)?  Wishful thinking I know.  Maybe an elevated park could be built to allow walkers/joggers/bikers ?

Would be neat.  Again, wishfull thinking though!

Maybe something like this?

and this?

I mean yeah not saying it's pointless or doesn't look good, it definitely looks at least 1000x better than it used to, just saying that Houston will always be a swamp. We have no natural beauty so the only choice is to create our own.

I have a pretty serious problem with the idea that Houston has no natural beauty. If you don't think coastal prairie and pine woods are capable of being beautiful, that's totally your prerogative, but don't assume everyone else shares it.

Houston's problem has been that it has, at best, ignored its natural resources, and, in many cases, actually destroyed or seriously altered them. This project has actually started to change that, and so far I've been very impressed to how it's turning out, not just on it own terms, but also in comparison to river areas in Denver, Minneapolis etc. 

• Like 4

I guess I wasn't clear enough. I personally feel (read: my opinion not every1's) that Houston pretty much looks the same throughout. I'm not saying the coast and forests aren't beautiful, they're actually really great. I'm saying that Houston looks the same pretty much throughout the 3 loops; green, wet, and brown. Other major cities have a greater variety in settings; Denver has wide open plains mixed with the cool crisp air of the Rockies. You look around outside in Denver and you see all this amazing natural beauty. Austin has their "hills", LA has the Pacific coast, Chicago has the Great Lakes. Houston's trees and bayous, while still representing beauty as we can see in this project, still aren't original. I want Houston to have some amazing natural feature that we can be proud of and something that attracts tourists, something that we want to show off to the rest of the world. I doubt non-Houstonians would really care about an (admittedly) impressively large ditch.

Disclosure: My opinion doesn't reflect everyone blah blah blah yall get the rest

This photos started to get really blurry cause it was getting dark.

Much better than my junky little cell phone pictures, thanks for sharing! I wanted to get up in that pavilion that's under construction but I was on the other side and a 9 year old's attention span is just a little too short to make the walk that much longer.

I guess I wasn't clear enough. I personally feel (read: my opinion not every1's) that Houston pretty much looks the same throughout. I'm not saying the coast and forests aren't beautiful, they're actually really great. I'm saying that Houston looks the same pretty much throughout the 3 loops; green, wet, and brown. Other major cities have a greater variety in settings; Denver has wide open plains mixed with the cool crisp air of the Rockies. You look around outside in Denver and you see all this amazing natural beauty. Austin has their "hills", LA has the Pacific coast, Chicago has the Great Lakes. Houston's trees and bayous, while still representing beauty as we can see in this project, still aren't original. I want Houston to have some amazing natural feature that we can be proud of and something that attracts tourists, something that we want to show off to the rest of the world. I doubt non-Houstonians would really care about an (admittedly) impressively large ditch.

Disclosure: My opinion doesn't reflect everyone blah blah blah yall get the rest

I do understand what you're saying:

I'm going to nitpick....  [Denver, LA, Chicago all have a unique natural feature.  Austin does not.  The "hill" country is pretty, but hardly worthy of the definition of beautiful.  And Austin's now nearly dry man-made lakes look terrible, Towne Lake (or whatever nonsense its called) is decent, but at the expense of the Colorado River and Lake Travis (and others).  Denver would be ugly as sin if not for the Rockies 50 miles away.  Chicago shares the great lakes with: Milwaukee, Detroit (sorta), Cleveland, Buffalo (sorta) and Toronto.] ...end nitpicking

The most glaring problem with Houston is: A) Not close enough to Galveston Bay. and B) That Bay is soooooooooo heavily industrialized (at our expense - at the nations benefit) that its hardly scenic any more.  Unfortunately industry has made Galveston Bay its playground.  Yes we've grown rich off that industry but perhaps it could have been contained a little better?  Who knows.

arch, you also have to remember that industries and cities around the world started on shorelines. it's not a unique thing to Houston.

There have been cities that "reclaimed" the seaside for residential and tourism, as well as green space, but it was only after the various industries failed.

now that some want to come back (fishing and ship building), they are unable to because they're unable to reestablish itself because of the huge tracks of land required that are now prohibitively expensive.

it is a blessing but also a curse to have a nice seaside community, but there would be little work for those that are unable to afford the scenic views.

^very true.  Its trying to establish the industry and still leave wetlands and scenic open space + potential land for residential along busy waterways that's the trick.  Galveston Bay is the largest inlet this side of Chesapeake Bay (I do believe) so there is plenty of land for all, I don't think the refineries needed to be clustered so tightly along the shoreline.  Perhaps better foresight into seeing Houston becoming one of the worlds largest industrial centers back in the 1930s or 1940s would have helped our "problems" now?  Of course I'm kind of the opinion that what we have - massive industrialized shipping/refining basin - is a good problem to have!

• Like 1