Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

houstonfella

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

whats the deal with Houston trying to get the Buffalo Bayou park to be Nationally registered or something, so that they can get federal funding for the park? ive heard about this a few times the last couple days.. apparently it should pass. i wonder if that will have any effect on fast forwarding other segments of the master plan with the new inflow of money.

• 2 weeks later...

i could of sworn i saw a thread somewhere here about them trying to figure out what to do with the large cistern/reservoir under the park..

cistern_bbp.png
1330362004-1330127794-buffalo-bayou-cist

i say they should commission James Turrell to come and run wild with his imagination and turn it into an underground art exhibit/attraction (and possibly James' largest installation). the only problem is the land above it is going to be a performance lawn or something so they would have to find a way to keep people from falling into the holes.

• 1 month later...

Went for a ride this morning and there were a lot of joggers/walkers/bikers out there. I like that they added asphalt paths on the north side (between Sabine and Montrose) with signs stating 'No Biking'. A lot of joggers were using those making it easier for bikers on the new wide sidewalks.

• 1 month later...

Don't know out of the several threads that we have where I should post these pics but there's another pedestrian bridge over Buffalo Bayou:

HlXEnDp.jpg?1

QDNNOJm.jpg?1

Hfpu4uJ.jpg?1

And yet another one farther down near Waugh.

muW0KcT.jpg?1

And this is Lost Lake I believe:

exImB5u.jpg?1

And just some more stuff across the bayou from the skate park:

RhrsWTw.jpg?1

• Like 4

So excited about this project. Probably more than anything else happening in Houston currently. This will really increase the quality of life for our citizens and will be the first place I take out-of-town visitors.

Agreed.  Transformational project.  The coming Bayou Greenways projects will also be transformational.

• 4 weeks later...

There is a sign at the current unofficial dog park (montrose and allen) stating the area will be closed for construction on 1/27 and won't be opening again until October. Seems like a long time to build a dog park, but I know they are incorporating a lot of features.

I really wish they would build a ped bridge over Allen near Taft. Going to Montrose or the ped bridge closer to downtown is quite far if you are on foot. I think it would be heavily utilized by the residents to the south, and be useful during the Art Car parade, Marathon, etc.

• Like 1

We walked from Sabine to Montrose last weekend and it's really going to be nice when finished.

It was good to see so many people down there running biking and walking.

And this is before it is even half finished. This is definitely going to improve the quality of life for all who use This area for recreation.

The bridges are really nice and even though the plantings on the North side are in, it will be a while before everything starts to

take hold and look natural, but you can get the feel of how the new contouring really makes a huge difference.

I bet even more people start running this trail than Memorial if they can just figure out where to park.

Oh puleeeze. That professor is an idiot! :angry: We do do art. We have the largest art car parade, the Museum of Natural Science has the second highest attendance of all museums in our country. To my knowledge, the Menil Collection is the, if not one of, the largest privately held collections on display. Plus, there are galleries and studios all over this town. And... remember the Westheimer (now Bayou City) Art Festival. I miss the street fest.

Sorry, I got riled.

Houston really gets passed over in music and art compared to other places. Talented people are from here but they migrate elsewhere. Police in this city along with the county court system are not at all nice to artists or musicians involved with any counter culture or sub culture. There will never be any kind of real art or music scene ever in this city in the foreseeable future. Houston is also too far spread out so events are often a bust. 

Houston really gets passed over in music and art compared to other places. Talented people are from here but they migrate elsewhere. Police in this city along with the county court system are not at all nice to artists or musicians involved with any counter culture or sub culture. There will never be any kind of real art or music scene ever in this city in the foreseeable future. Houston is also too far spread out so events are often a bust. 

I have been in the art and musical communities in this town for years, and have no idea what your talking about. While Houston may not be putting out smash pop artists in music, it's acts do very well regionally and even nationally. Hell, I have a top 50 album in Japan and Europe and my band was discovered here.

The artist here also do very well and many make decent livings at their craft.

As far as the police and court systems not being "nice to artists or musicians?" I'm at a loss. Not once have I ever encountered this, nor have I know anyone in the community that would agree with that statement. Why would either have an issue with the art community?

Keep in mind that Houston has never consistently been a spotlight city, and many of us like it that way. Sure, if you want to make it big time, then LA or Nashville's your best bet. Even Austin with it's heralded music scene doesn't put out many national acts.

Sorry for getting off topic, guys.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...