Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

houstonfella

• 2 weeks later...

I heard Trudy Smith speak today -- lots of talk about the new Dog parks and how parking was scarce to say the least. AIG has ok'd using parking lot It extends from Waugh to Studemont, I think, on weekends for anyone wanting  to use Dog Park-- or any part of the park. It will help a lot.

Edited by trymahjong
  • Like 3

I heard Trudy Smith speak today -- lots of talk about the new Dog parks and how parking was scarce to say the least. AIG has ok'd using parking lot It extends from Waugh to Studemont, I think, on weekends for anyone wanting  to use Dog Park-- or any part of the park. It will help a lot.

AIG could use some good publicity :P

• Like 1

That dog park is nauseating.... now we're sure to have strays running amok biting people... The good thing is that it will bring people together and give a different feel to the local community. The bad thing is well... the hipsters. :P

Even worse, we could have hipsters running amok biting stray dogs!  ;-)

That dog park is nauseating.... now we're sure to have strays running amok biting people... The good thing is that it will bring people together and give a different feel to the local community. The bad thing is well... the hipsters. :P

I'm not a dog owner, but I think the dog park is a nice addition. It's fenced so I don't think you'll have strays running amok. That was more of a problem when it was an unofficial dog park. 

I guess they are starting today with first of several meetings in regards making improvements to allen parkway 

http://downtowntirz.org/meetings.html

from Cohen's enewsletter

Joint Committee to Review Allen Parkway Proposal

A special-called joint meeting of the Council Committee on Quality of Life and the Transportation, Technology, and Infrastructure Committee will take place Thursday, February 12th at 10:00am in Council Chambers at City Hall. Representatives from the Downtown Redevelopment Authority (Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone #3) will present their proposal for improvements to Allen Parkway and Buffalo Bayou Park. All committee meetings are open to the public and include an opportunity for public comment.

After that, they need to add a separated bike lane to Memorial Park alongside that mile long section of Memorial Dr. 

yeah the city definitely needs to figure out what theyre going to do with Memorial Dr through that mile stretch.

I always thought that stretch would be a perfect candidate for an elevated bike & walkway (a la the Highline) above the esplanades / middle of memorial dr connecting Memorial and Buffalo Bayou park.

Of course, you'd avoid the industrial look of the Highline and try to make it blend / make it look like a continuation of the parks.... but you get my idea. The parts of memorial from Detering to Shepphard without esplanades could possibly have an ivy covered wall separating the east and westbound traffic that supports the raised bikeway/walkway.

IDK the cost, but it would be pretty figgin' awesome.

• Like 1

I always thought that stretch would be a perfect candidate for an elevated bike & walkway (a la the Highline) above the esplanades / middle of memorial dr connecting Memorial and Buffalo Bayou park.

Of course, you'd avoid the industrial look of the Highline and try to make it blend / make it look like a continuation of the parks.... but you get my idea. The parts of memorial from Detering to Shepphard without esplanades could possibly have an ivy covered wall separating the east and westbound traffic that supports the raised bikeway/walkway.

IDK the cost, but it would be pretty figgin' awesome.

So maybe something like this?

Bicycle-Snake-Bridge-by-DISSINGWEITLING-

This was a bridge recently completed in Denmark.

I do agree with the point that this would be a golden opportunity to once and for all negotiate the different modes of travel along Allen Parkway and have them separated from each other. I haven't seen any dedicated bike lanes in these "renderings" (more quick photoshop schemes which is fine), but I think a wise move would be to continue what is being done on Lamar and stretch it from downtown along Allen Parkway and yes with the green color as well to help demarcate where each mode of travel goes.

• Like 1

is there a reason the Buffalo Bayou trails are so sporadic through downtown?

and yeahh.. no elevated stuff will fly on that ritzy residential stretch of Memorial between Memorial Park and BBP. we could always go with building a boardwalk along the non residential sides of Buffalo Bayou between the two parks.. heh. a more reasonable, though not as scenic alternative would be to pave over the median that is present in that span of Memorial Dr and push all the lanes together to the north side of the ROW, leaving some pavement on the southern edge of the ROW for a protected bike lane.
but really they need to address that stretch of Memorial Dr all together and trench the street below those intersections. if they ever do all that maybe they can figure out a more permanent/appealing bike lane solution.

Edited by cloud713

There must be other cities with bayou-like land who have done something nice with it so we can imagine what is possible, anyone know of any and have a pic?

I saw miles of these bike bridges all around Moab, Utah.  They must have cost a fortune, but they were a way to make bike paths along the rivers where the roads are too skinny to add bike lanes.

post-4274-0-87995700-1424100989_thumb.jp

• Like 1