Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

houstonfella

they still desprately need to address the access to the park from the south. there's no great way to cross allen parkway save for shepherd and even there it's no walk through the park. dunlavy, waugh and montrose all need attention IMO.

You're absolutely right. Rode my bike there last weekend and I saw a runner nearly get hit by a car trying to go across Allen Parkway near Taft. Absolutely stupid.

Montrose is dangerous just as well. The sidewalk isn't maintained at all coming from Dallas St. Perhaps more pedestrian bridges are needed?

Edited by Triton
  • Like 1

Honestly? Why does that even matter?

It matters to me because I meet alot of people who do business here and live elsewhere. Im always suggesting places for them to see and experience. One of those places is Herman Park because of its beauty and its close proximity to the museums, TMC, etc... Because of the Buffalo Bayou renovations, this will be and added destination to those suggestions. By the way, wasn't there supposed to be an amphitheater built as well?

I believe it was originally planned to go where they found the cistern, behind the skate park. The cistern plan is coming together according to a very reliable source and I believe he said they have chosen a project for the space. Should be really exciting to see this space when accessible.

I did notice that 610 at I-10 interchange has grown up and is looking much better. I just really think the landscaping softens the harshness of the stark concrete, hides some of the ugly feeder minutia, and makes for a much more enjoyable drive.

Northern Virginia did a good job with I-66, the Dulles Toll Road and the Beltway in terms of using trees for screening, placing climbing vegetation on the noise walls and actively trying to hide concrete. In addition, there appear to be restrictions that prevent billboards on any of the main highways between Fairfax County and the Potomac. It all looks good, and the GW Parkway (which the Feds maintain) looks great. 

The thing that's been interesting about this project lately is all the history they are "rediscovering", like the cistern and the Donnellann Crypt. I wonder if there are any other surprises out there waiting to be found. 

With luck they will discover the English "black earth" graves that are located under the old Cenikor parking lot.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Has this been discussed yet? Not sure exactly where on the east end this is

http://www.buffalobayou.org/buffalobendcap.html

FinalMasterPlan_000.jpg

buffalobend.jpg

The first park of its kind to serve Houston’s East End residents, Buffalo Bend Nature Park is a new project of the Buffalo Bayou Partnership Conservation Division.

Consisting of a series of graded, water-treatment wetlands, the environmental park will contribute to the restoration and enhancement of Buffalo Bayou and the downstream coastal ecosystems it impacts. Buffalo Bend will also serve an important function for East End residents, providing them a direct link to the heritage of their city and a higher quality of life that offers hiking, bird watching, environmental education and most importantly, a sense of wildness that many locals from this community rarely have the opportunity to experience.

The central feature of the park will be a system of three wetlands which will meander through the parkland before finally opening to the bayou. The wetlands will be surrounded by Gulf prairie transitioning to the bayou’s restored riparian forest on the fringes. With sustainability being the overarching feature of this inner city park, sustainable principles will guide all aspects of the Park’s development, from low impact building materials and solar energy panels to restoring the once abundant wildlife habitat, ecological productivity and species diversity. Historically known as an under-served, industrialized and highly developed portion of Houston, the completion of Buffalo Bend Nature Park will provide an important natural space for recreation and rejuvenation within Houston's East End.

• Like 2

Has this been discussed yet? Not sure exactly where on the east end this is

http://www.buffalobayou.org/buffalobendcap.html

FinalMasterPlan_000.jpg

buffalobend.jpg

The first park of its kind to serve Houston’s East End residents, Buffalo Bend Nature Park is a new project of the Buffalo Bayou Partnership Conservation Division.

Consisting of a series of graded, water-treatment wetlands, the environmental park will contribute to the restoration and enhancement of Buffalo Bayou and the downstream coastal ecosystems it impacts. Buffalo Bend will also serve an important function for East End residents, providing them a direct link to the heritage of their city and a higher quality of life that offers hiking, bird watching, environmental education and most importantly, a sense of wildness that many locals from this community rarely have the opportunity to experience.

The central feature of the park will be a system of three wetlands which will meander through the parkland before finally opening to the bayou. The wetlands will be surrounded by Gulf prairie transitioning to the bayou’s restored riparian forest on the fringes. With sustainability being the overarching feature of this inner city park, sustainable principles will guide all aspects of the Park’s development, from low impact building materials and solar energy panels to restoring the once abundant wildlife habitat, ecological productivity and species diversity. Historically known as an under-served, industrialized and highly developed portion of Houston, the completion of Buffalo Bend Nature Park will provide an important natural space for recreation and rejuvenation within Houston's East End.

Just east of Wayside and south of the Buffalo Bayou. Looks like the easternmost extent of the Buffalo Bayou Master Plan. It'd be impressive if they can make a cohesive park all the way from Downtown to the turning basin, I'd love to see that one day.

ProjectStatusjan07copy_000.jpg

• Like 3

Just east of Wayside and south of the Buffalo Bayou. Looks like the easternmost extent of the Buffalo Bayou Master Plan. It'd be impressive if they can make a cohesive park all the way from Downtown to the turning basin, I'd love to see that one day.

ProjectStatusjan07copy_000.jpg

That's a great image that I hadn't seen before, thanks. Do you know if there's a more recent version? This nature park looks like it could be the land they've acquired around Tony Marron Park east of Hirsch, where the We CAN Recycle facility is. Hopefully by now they've managed to get the rest of that land on the south bank all the way to Lockwood, since that last parcel is vacant anyway.

I'm impressed that they've acquired that much. It looks like two big pieces that could be achievable at some point are the Proler Southwest property across from We CAN, and the Southern Crushed Concrete property on east of Lockwood and on Turkey Bend. Not sure how much it would cost to get the current users to move elsewhere, or if it would be more likely purchased by a developer as the KBR site was, but either of those pieces could be a "game changer."

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...