Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

houstonfella

James Turrell would do something very interesting, but since we already have three spaces that are accessible to the public I would like to see them commission Mineko Grimmer to do something reminiscent of her piece that was on display at the Menil from September 2001 to February 2002. It featured water dripping from frozen ice and rock stalactite shapes into pools of water with brass rods strung above the water and below the melting Rocky icicles. They would make chimes as the rocks fell from the frozen icicles and the lights that shown on the water reflected onto the walls creating beautiful patterns as the ripples moved. this to me would be the perfect kind of meditative piece

Featuring water since that is what this space was built for. Holding water. I hope some of you will remember the exhibit or understand what I'm trying to explain. It was a great exhibit and had an incredible audience. I always thought the piece should maybe move into the old Byzantine chapel under the black box.

Trudy Smith spokesperson for Buffalo Bayou spoke at Neartown (great presentation) related that the Brown Foundation will be funding the conversion of the 1927 Houston Waterworks underground cistern ( cathedral?) into an art space.

This is great news, but let's avoid the cathedral metaphor at all costs. It is terribly overused, and I say that as a big fan of cathedrals.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a large hole being dug at the bend in the bayou between the HPD memorial and the skate park, on the south side of Memorial Drive.  Any idea what is? (I apologize in advance, I know, this post is worthless w/o pics. . .)

Really happy to see the bayou revitlaion been taking serious..I really hope the plans for the east end come to pass..if done like they propose it could make the san Antonio river walk look like a cute little ditch...if it comes out like they plan

I agree, this project really needs to focus on Downtown and the East End after the completion of the western stretch. A revitalization of the bayou through Downtown could revolutionize the district. There's so much empty and underutilized space that has the potential to become an urban oasis.

Really happy to see the bayou revitlaion been taking serious..I really hope the plans for the east end come to pass..if done like they propose it could make the san Antonio river walk look like a cute little ditch...if it comes out like they plan

Have you seen the riverwalk recently it's quite nice after the expansion

been a few years, not to say the river walk is not nice but to say the east end proposal has the potential to dwarf it

The riverwalk is 10 miles long now with bike paths along the sides. It was a long project done by the use army core of engineers with habitat restoration. Absolutely beautiful.

]I snapped this photo of the Sunset Coffee building today. It is coming along quite nicely. attachicon.gifInternational Coffee House October 2014.jpg

It's actually been somewhat slow:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/1299-sunset-coffee-building-allens-landing/?p=468388

I haven't provided an update to that thread because there hasn't been any major visible changes as of yet. Maybe a few dirt mounds moved around in the front.

It's actually been somewhat slow:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/1299-sunset-coffee-building-allens-landing/?p=468388

I haven't provided an update to that thread because there hasn't been any major visible changes as of yet. Maybe a few dirt mounds moved around in the front.

Your photo's perspective makes me wonder how they would develop the Commerce Promenade. The buildings on the other side of Fannin and San Jacinto come right out to the waters edge. If they were to continue with that part of the project, would it require those buildings to be leveled, or would they build out the bulkhead to go around them?

Your photo's perspective makes me wonder how they would develop the Commerce Promenade. The buildings on the other side of Fannin and San Jacinto come right out to the waters edge. If they were to continue with that part of the project, would it require those buildings to be leveled, or would they build out the bulkhead to go around them?

Yeah those jail administration(?) facilities on this side of the bayou would have to be torn down to build the Commerce Promenade

I ride these trails almost every weekend and love them but I wonder if the contractors building them will also repair the damage their heavy equipment does to the cement trails? There are probably 3 or 4 dozen spots where this equipment cratered the trails.

I read somewhere that the Energy Corridor wants to develop their portion of the bayou (Terry Hershey park) into a "waterfront park".

Does anyone have any info on this?

Not sure what that means, but it sounds like a terrible idea.

Doing something with George Bush Park might make sense though.

• Like 1