Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

houstonfella

The Tolerance Bridge needs a theme song.

Feel free to jump in. I'm still muddling through, but Queen really does to come to the top of the list. Killer Queen. Definitely one of the most underused songs, and so appropriate for diversity and tolerance and such. Plus, would accomodate bridge suicides nicely.

So after you complain, you'll just tolerate it. I think Tolerance Bridge has accomplished its goal. Thanks, Tolerance Bridge!

Just because most people will eventually become tired of hearing me whine about it does not mean that I will not still continue to dislike and whine about the bridge and its name. Whining about it to whoever happens to be with me in the vicinity of the bridge will become a ritual of sorts.

Just because most people will eventually become tired of hearing me whine about it does not mean that I will not still continue to dislike and whine about the bridge and its name. Whining about it to whoever happens to be with me in the vicinity of the bridge will become a ritual of sorts.

But you'll tolerate it in some way. You're not planning to blow it up or anything, are you? That's really all tolerance is: not blowing something up.

But you'll tolerate it in some way. You're not planning to blow it up or anything, are you? That's really all tolerance is: not blowing something up.

So the KKK would be considered "tolerant" of black people if it only dresses in white robes and burns crosses on the lawns of black people but does not go so far as to blow them up? Even a lynching would be "tolerant" in some way because the KKK would at least not be blowing them up.

I reject your definition of tolerance.

Edited by TheNiche

So the KKK would be considered "tolerant" of black people if it only dresses in white robes and burns crosses on the lawns of black people but does not go so far as to blow them up? Even a lynching would be "tolerant" in some way because the KKK would at least not be blowing them up.

I reject your definition of tolerance.

I tolerate your rejection of my definition of tolerance.

I love this forum. :lol:

I think the design is interesting enough to be noteworthy, and the name is unusual enough to be memorable. As long as people drive by and say, "hay, did you see that little bridge? that's pretty cool" I am satisfied.

I'll have to concede that the name is a little awkward, but let's be honest, its only a pedestrian bridge---no one will refer to it by name.

Slightly off topic - where was the bridge that burned a few days ago? Not sure if it spanned White Oak or Buffalo Bayou. Was it completely destroyed, or only damaged?

Saw mention of it in the print edition of the Chronicle, but doesn't appear to be online.

From what I can see in the initial rendering, if you were to take away the decorative Moebius strip, it would look like just another graceless concrete bridge-on-stilts. I.e., the typical Houston bridge-over-the-bayou or freeway overpass. (The only exception I can think of is the Main Street Viaduct.)

It would be more interesting if the bridge supports mimicked the curvature of the superstructure in some fashion.

I did some of the hydraulic work on this bridge. As currently planned, it will never get built.

It impedes too much flood waters for the bayou. The only way I could justify the bridge working was to cut down all those trees you see in the picture to allow the water to flow better.

I suggested some kind of cable stayed or suspension concept for the bridge that would eliminate a lot of the piles. Alas, I'm not an architect but only a hydraulic an hydrologic engineer.

• 1 month later...