s3mh

Canino Produce Co. Farmers Market @ 2520 Airline Dr

I believe Canino is an Italian name. There were many Italians who settled in that area and who were truck farmers (grew vegetables which they sold at market). There were also some Japanese families that settled in the area and were farmers. Two names I recall are Io and Okabayashi.

9 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Does the redevelopment of Canino Farmers Market, 2520 Airline Dr,  mean the name will change?

There is a website for the redeveloped farmers market with a new name and logo. The name is Houston Farmers Market. The new name erases traces of Canino and the Hispanic influence and culture that has been the cornerstone of this market for decades. My white people and their whitewashing, gentrifying ways. :angry:

https://thehoustonfarmersmarket.com

There's irony in your statement above. Canino's is an Italian name and the roots of the market are in Italian and German farmer's coming together and starting the co-op.

"The Airline market's shoppers and its offerings have reflected the area's changing demographics. Initially the site served the Italians, Polish, Eastern Europeans and Anglos who lived in the area. But by the 1980s, the market was catering to the Tejano, Mexican-American and Latino populations living in the Heights and Greater Northside."

The market is changing, just like it has before, to serve the surrounding demographics. The continued existence and growth of the market is great in my opinion and hopefully will bring more local produce back into the area and support local farmers.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/gray-matters/article/Farmers-markets-in-Houston-A-history-11636755.php

Edited by HouKev

The market was founded by and has been run continuously by the Farmers Marketing Association of Houston.  Canino's is just a tenant, albeit the most prominent and identifiable vendor.  I have heard as many people call it the "Airline Farmer's Market" as the "Houston Farmer's Market" as "Canino's".  So, I do not see this as a big name change.  Canino's will still be there.

I am actually not at all concerned about the upgrades.  If the new venture is going to work, they are going to have to strike a balance between the existing vendors and their clientele and the more affluent customers who will be attracted to the promised foodie stuff.  The more affluent clientele will not buy enough produce every week to support the produce vendors.  People are too dedicated to big box grocers, which are beginning to saturate the area.   And then you have people eliminating grocery shopping altogether with instacart and similar services.  As good as Urban Harvest and other small local farmer's markets are, there is only enough demand for these markets to be open one day a week.  Finally, it will not be a tourist trap like Pike's Place market with people moving through shoulder to shoulder all day long.  Thus, the farmer's market cannot rely on upper income earners to sustain the produce market.  They will have to keep the existing Spanish speaking and lower and middle income clientele if they want to have enough business to keep the produce market open daily.  Hopefully, there will be enough increased demand from upper income clientele to offset the rent increases.

Hopefully, it will be a win win.  As lively as it is, the current market is in terrible condition.  If you park anywhere other than right in front of Canino's you take your life into your own hands trying to cross through the parking lot by the security guard's post.  And you buy your kids a mango flower, but there is absolutely no where to sit and eat.  And without the new money coming in, odds were pretty good that they would just have to sell and not be able to reopen anywhere.  

11 hours ago, Specwriter said:

There's nothing wrong with being 'country' in my book. What I meant was Aldine was in the process of ensuring its students were well prepared for college or the work world when they graduated. One rumor (possibly apocryphal) was that one had to have a 'B' average from an Aldine school back in the 1950s to be considered for admission to the U of H when a 'C' average from most other Houston area schools was acceptable. When I started college in the late 1970s I was as well prepared as many of my counterparts who attended private college prep schools.

I agree, MartiMoser, if someone wants to enjoy the peace and quiet of the rural life one must expect to forego some of the "conveniences" of the big city. One really cannot have it both ways.

Our main thoroughfare is FM1128 (Masters Rd). It was dirt road when my husband moved to this property. It is still a 2 lane road, but it's the back road shortcut for Medical Center, Midtown and beyond. It is also the favorite of bicyclers on weekends. None of the above is a bother. I just have one itch to scratch. It is a very young adult male on a Japanese motorcycle that apparently only has 2 notches on the speedometer. Stop & 120 mph. You literally don't hear him coming until he's here. It sounds exactly like a Formula1 Ferrari. I wasn't going to do anything about it, I'd mulled it over, his business, none of mine, etc. But I've decided to do the correct thing & speak to someone at the police department. I am saving his life, not tattling. I would hope a stranger would do the same for my children. With all the unbelievable lunacy coming from the shining house in the East, I'm not going to change who I am as a person. That is a mother, wife, daughter, sister & good citizen of this country. Nobody will make me cower. Nobody.

Screenshot_20180620-213103.png

19 hours ago, s3mh said:

I have heard as many people call it the "Airline Farmer's Market" as the "Houston Farmer's Market" as "Canino's".  So, I do not see this as a big name change.  Canino's will still be there.

I think the Houston Farmer's Market is a bad name from a Marketing perspective.  Houston is a huge sprawling place so "Houston Farmer's Market" lacks specificity.  We're already seeing lost tourists in the Heights on Saturday mornings stopping to ask directions to "the farmer's market" that they've heard about, but they don't know which of the many different one's they're really looking for.  It could be Canino's or many times it's one of the many small collections of individuals at places like Onion Creek, etc.

Retaining Airline or Canino's in the name would help them stand out from the rest.

On 6/21/2018 at 7:29 AM, innerloop said:

I think the Houston Farmer's Market is a bad name from a Marketing perspective.  Houston is a huge sprawling place so "Houston Farmer's Market" lacks specificity.  We're already seeing lost tourists in the Heights on Saturday mornings stopping to ask directions to "the farmer's market" that they've heard about, but they don't know which of the many different one's they're really looking for.  It could be Canino's or many times it's one of the many small collections of individuals at places like Onion Creek, etc.

Retaining Airline or Canino's in the name would help them stand out from the rest.

Correct. We went 2 places for produce  on Saturday mornings...Farmers Market or Produce Row. We knew both clans but I don't ever remember saying Caninos or Elizondo Brothers. 

I know Canino is Italian. I read the history of Houston's Farmers in the Chronicle some time back. I should have lead with that. Removing the name whitewashes the history of both the Italian immigrants and Hispanic community who built and sustained the market for decades. From the plans shown so far, there is something with the Canino name but it's not the same as the name for the entire development. I know why the new owner changed the name, it's better to market it to the public, mostly to magazines and other media outside of Houston. But the name Canino goes hand in hand with the market.

From CultureMap:

Plans are still underway to transform the Houston Farmers Market. Announced last year by MLB Capital Partners, the process will convert the currently shabby facility, better known as the Canino’s market after its largest vendor, into a “destination retail experience offering more diversified products, renovated facilities and community programming.”

Other than an animation that showed more detail about the plans, the project has been mostly quiet, with little word from MLB about when construction might begin. However, that doesn’t mean things aren’t happening behind the scenes. Chris Shepherd, chef-owner of Underbelly Hospitality (UB Preserv, Georgia James, etc.), and his business partner Kevin Floyd are consulting on the project. They’ll be helping select vendors and working on the overall layout of the 18-acre tract on Airline just south of 610.

Floyd recently told the Houston Business Journal that he and Shepherd have two projects lined up for 2019 and 2020 but didn’t offer any details. 

“Now when people call me asking if I want to look at a piece of real estate, I tell them, 'Sure, if you're cool with me doing 2021. If you're not, I don't want to talk to you because I'm never going to do two major projects in a year again,’” Floyd said.

When CultureMap interviewed Shepherd about the opening of his new steakhouse Georgia James, we asked Shepherd what he and Floyd are working on for the next two years. The James Beard Award winner revealed that his role at the market will have his attention in the coming months.

“We’re working on the market. That’s going to consume a lot of time,” Shepherd says. “That’s the projects I’m looking at right now. I want to make sure the market is the best it can be. That’s going to take up a lot of my time in the next couple years.”

Currently, the project is still in the design phase. The owners are assessing what the various need and space requirements are for the type of tenants they hope to attract. Eventually, they’ll start soliciting proposals. Once that happens, things should move more quickly.

“I think there’s a lot of opportunity for really cool things to happen there as far as what vendors go in, trying to get actual farmers in there, too,” Shepherd says. “I need a seafood guy and a meat guy [and others] to be a sustainable market. It’s just having conversations and seeing how we go.”

From the chef’s perspective, the biggest problem isn’t that process appears to be moving slowly from an outsider’s perspective. It’s that he has to attend so many meetings.

“Eric, I thousand dollarsing hate meetings,” Shepherd says. “If I can’t get it done in 10 minutes, I’m pretty much fading. It’s just my lifestyle. Let’s cut this real quick and we’ll go.”

Whether he likes it or not, the meetings will go on. Eventually, more news will come on the market’s transformation. For now, just know the people who are responsible for the transformation are putting in the time to make sure it's done right.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/10-15-18-houston-farmers-market-transformation-update-chris-shepherd-mlb-capital-partners/

On 6/20/2018 at 11:41 AM, s3mh said:

The market was founded by and has been run continuously by the Farmers Marketing Association of Houston.  Canino's is just a tenant, albeit the most prominent and identifiable vendor.  I have heard as many people call it the "Airline Farmer's Market" as the "Houston Farmer's Market" as "Canino's".  So, I do not see this as a big name change.  Canino's will still be there.

I am actually not at all concerned about the upgrades.  If the new venture is going to work, they are going to have to strike a balance between the existing vendors and their clientele and the more affluent customers who will be attracted to the promised foodie stuff.  The more affluent clientele will not buy enough produce every week to support the produce vendors.  People are too dedicated to big box grocers, which are beginning to saturate the area.   And then you have people eliminating grocery shopping altogether with instacart and similar services.  As good as Urban Harvest and other small local farmer's markets are, there is only enough demand for these markets to be open one day a week.  Finally, it will not be a tourist trap like Pike's Place market with people moving through shoulder to shoulder all day long.  Thus, the farmer's market cannot rely on upper income earners to sustain the produce market.  They will have to keep the existing Spanish speaking and lower and middle income clientele if they want to have enough business to keep the produce market open daily.  Hopefully, there will be enough increased demand from upper income clientele to offset the rent increases.

Hopefully, it will be a win win.  As lively as it is, the current market is in terrible condition.  If you park anywhere other than right in front of Canino's you take your life into your own hands trying to cross through the parking lot by the security guard's post.  And you buy your kids a mango flower, but there is absolutely no where to sit and eat.  And without the new money coming in, odds were pretty good that they would just have to sell and not be able to reopen anywhere.  

The Canino family are most certainly a part of the association as well as The Froberg family. If a Canino market or space is part of the new plans, it will not be the Canino family. He stated he was retiring. His children  have are all white collar, college educated attorneys, doctors & at least one dentist in the family. They simply aren't going to be taking over.  

I have not seen any updates on the timetable for the renovations to start. Once they bring in a baker, butcher, and fish vendor the marker will be in great shape. I will definitely drive from the other side of Houston to visit. Take a cooler with me and load it up.

• Like 1

There is a timeline for the Houston Farmers Market at 2520 Airline Dr, which broke ground today.

From CultureMap today:

The massive effort to transform the Houston Farmers Market into one of the city's leading culinary attractions finally has a timeline. MLB Capital Partners, the local investment firm that purchased the almost 18-acre tract at the corner of Airline Drive and 610 in 2017, broke ground on the project Tuesday, August 6, with a goal of completing the work by late 2020.

...MLB's changes to the property will include "new climate-controlled spaces, shaded open-air market areas, restrooms, and common seating areas," according to a release. Better traffic flow and expanded parking areas will separate commercial traffic from pedestrians, and expanded facilities will accommodate a host of new merchants and food vendors. The market will remain open during the renovations. 

James Beard Award-winning chef Chris Shepherd is serving as a culinary consultant on the project and will open a new concept at the market, which shouldn't come as a surprising considering Mason is also Shepherd's partner in Underbelly Hospitality.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/08-06-19-houston-farmers-market-transformation-groundbreaking-renovations-mlb-capital-partners-chris-shepherd/

• Like 4

Updated renderings of Houston Farmers Market at 2520 Airline Dr,.

(Previous renderings here , hereherehere , and here)

Renderings found in Houston Business Journal and CultureMap articles.

Entrance

kp2IU5U.jpg

Produce market
ADzzuLO.jpg

Alley
nt3jc06.jpg

View of courtyard from a restaurant
mtu5YHA.jpg

Courtyard
GnXY2mj.jpg

Inside a cafe or restaurant
uZli5ad.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/7/2019 at 2:15 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Updated renderings of Houston Farmers Market at 2520 Airline Dr,.

(Previous renderings here , hereherehere , and here)

Renderings found in Houston Business Journal and CultureMap articles.

Entrance

kp2IU5U.jpg

Produce market
ADzzuLO.jpg

Alley
nt3jc06.jpg

View of courtyard from a restaurant
mtu5YHA.jpg

Courtyard
GnXY2mj.jpg

Inside a cafe or restaurant
uZli5ad.jpg

Great update. Don't forget about these guys working on the project:

Other participants in the project include landscape architecture firm Clark Condon Associates, Studio RED Architects, Houston-based consulting firm Gunda Corporation, and Arch-Con Construction.

Glad this got started. While hiking around the entire neighborhood, I reached Airline Dr, and saw nothing but potential. This area has a lot of opportunities to really take off at some point.

• Like 2

I live right off W Cavalcade where those new apartments are going up. I’m so excited to see this development finally happen. In time I hope there are future plans to make 20th/W Cavalcade more pedestrian friendly. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I live right off W Cavalcade where those new apartments are going up. I’m so excited to see this development finally happen. In time I hope there are future plans to make 20th/W Cavalcade more pedestrian friendly. 

One of my big hopes is that someday they will reconstruct that crazy intersection of 20th, Cavalcade, N Main, and Studewood into an awesome big roundabout, and maybe with a cool art installation or monument. One can dream though, right?

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 4

20th/Cavalcade is (I believe) on the bike plan. Putting in real bike lanes will help - maybe it'll even get fancy floating bus stops and protected bulb-outs at the intersections...

I don't want to hijack this thread, what about the now abandoned Metro station at 20th/W Cavalcade.  Wish Metro would sell that and recoup some tax $ or donate it for a park.   I know most Heights residents are anti- chain, but a Starbucks drive through would fit beautifully on the property that was the Metro station.

A drive-through would not be terribly helpful from a pedestrian/cyclist safety perspective. Also seems like aiming a bit low - your post starts with a park and ends with a drive-through Starbucks.

1 hour ago, native_Houstonian said:

I don't want to hijack this thread, what about the now abandoned Metro station at 20th/W Cavalcade.  Wish Metro would sell that and recoup some tax $ or donate it for a park.   I know most Heights residents are anti- chain, but a Starbucks drive through would fit beautifully on the property that was the Metro station.

I don't know the status of the project, but in April 2018, City Council approved a plan to purchase of the former Heights Transit Center property from Metro and convert the property to a park.

• Like 2

On 8/12/2019 at 1:36 PM, Texasota said:

A drive-through would not be terribly helpful from a pedestrian/cyclist safety perspective. Also seems like aiming a bit low - your post starts with a park and ends with a drive-through Starbucks.

Either would be an improvement over an abandoned Metro station.

Drove by the market on Saturday.   It was a cluster to say the least.  A large portion of the market is fenced off, and the parking lot is being taken up.   Many of the vendors in the back were placed under temporary tents.   Only 1 way in and out around Junior's (old Canino's).   One entrance on the North side for the large trucks for the wholesale trade.   Will be interesting to see how this shapes up.   Also, it will be interesting to see how many of the wholesalers stay.  

IMG_3512.jpg

IMG_3514.jpg

IMG_3515.jpg

IMG_3516.jpg

IMG_3517.jpg

• Like 2

Make a trip out to see the site on Sunday September 8th and then come over to The Rehab Bar on the bayou and come listen to our band Tinight.

1658 Enid right behind the farmers market at the SE corner of 45 and 610. Enid runs north and south parallel to 45. No cover, just good fun.

It features me on bass

Joseph Havel on guitar

Steve Murphy on drums

Love to see you.

Come on out Haifers!