Tech District

Its great that they are recognizing the potential for EADO on this type of venture. There is a lot of growth for technology in the Oil/Gas and less so in the medical fields. O&G has trailed far behind tech advancements and as a new generation takes the helm on leadership, we can start gaining traction on these needed updates. 

I wonder how much land would be required for this buildout and if EaDo is right or something larger would be needed.

There's plenty of space in (and near) EaDo, and it makes far more space to locate it in a centrally-located neighborhood that has just begun rebuilding itself than a further-out, less accessible area.

There's also the old KBR site, but that doesn't offer any existing infrastructure with buildings you could quickly repurpose. Everything would have to be brand new from the ground up, which could create affordability issues for small start-ups.

There are a few buildings at KBR (from Google, it looks like 8 with the majority being larger buildings,) but there's really not much other infrastructure up there. The KBR site could definitely work, but I think EaDo is better and more flexible at this point. 

While I think the KBR site will play a role in the district, I think it will grow closer to some of the more established parts of EaDo. Factors such as access to public transportation, restaurants, etc. will be key. Growing a center away from those things is doable, but growing a tech culture isn't. Walkability, access to cool spaces to work and play, bike trails, etc. are all important as well.

I totally agree. KBR would only work with a serious developer partnering to provide some of that, and possibly the management district actually building their threatened streetcar (to a high standard with dedicated lanes.) In EaDo proper it would be way easier to just hit the ground running.

Midway is not looking for an overnight change in the East River (KBR) property. They see this as a generational development to be completed over the next 15-30 years. I think the original basis (Pre-Midway) was for a large company to come in and commit to being the foundation for the property, but there is not enough Tech development in the Houston Area to create this foundation. Onsie / Twosie developments is best suited for EADO. A Googlplex would be best for the KBR Lot, but there is no way something like that comes to Houston. Even if it does, you risk a lot by building it on the East River site.... All of the technical talent in Houston lives west, north, and south. East is a blue collar side of town with little to pull from.

Archived