Jump to content
CrockpotandGravel

Westheimer Flea Market @ 1731 Westheimer

Recommended Posts

Here are the proposed renderings for 1731 Westheimer (brochure)

From Loopnet and Davis Commercial

Building Size     5,000 SF

Parking for Restaurant up to 4,200 sf

Beautiful 1930’s Construction

High Metal/Wood Ceilings

500 SF Patio Area

ZaC7I50.jpg


xxwVX4G.jpg


q76rsX8.jpg

FSxxfdI.jpg

CjZdW2m.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it wasn't clear from the images above, the current building takes up the whole lot, and there is no offstreet parking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, very clear. They have to destroy half the building, plus two others, to meet a parking requirement. Why do we subsidize motorists so brazenly? Why does each car need hundreds of spaces around the city just sitting waiting for it, in case its owner decides to come there? What could we be doing with all this space if it wasn't sitting empty waiting for a car that might come?

DDai7Q7UMAAH_oA.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They'll be demolishing the house next door to put the parking in but I wonder why it had so much not used space in back? [Never mind, just saw whats posted]

Edited by iah77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, they're lopping off 60% of the old King antiques building to meet the parking requirement, plus demolishing Pride & Joy antiques next door.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How would it change the inner loop if we eliminated parking requirements?  Let the market dictate how much parking to provide

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed. Brasil never seems to struggle for customers, despite zero parking. Plenty arrive on foot, by bus, or bicycle.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And on the flip side of the argument, downtown doesn't have parking minimums but developers still add parking to the projects; it just let's developers put the amount of parking in they want/need to have for the project, as opposed to a theoretical maximum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awful.  They are also getting rid of nice mature Montrose trees.  Classic Houston.  

 

The city doesn't need to be Portland or Austin, but let's at least preserve some of the few older areas with character that are left.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, roadrunner said:

Awful.  They are also getting rid of nice mature Montrose trees.  Classic Houston.  

 

The city doesn't need to be Portland or Austin, but let's at least preserve some of the few older areas with character that are left.

 

This project proposes to provide 45 off-street parking spaces. A restaurant of this size in Austin apparently would be required to provide 67 off-street parking spaces (one space for every 75 square feet).  If they include the patio area in calculating the requirements (which they surely do), Austin would require about 74 off-street spaces for this development. 

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The redevelopment looks quite nice, especially those metal windows.

 

That said, tearing up one of the most intact and vibrant blocks of lower Westheimer to put in what essentially will be a strip center blows goats. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Westheimer Flea Market redevelopment at 1731 Westheimer was in yesterday's Houston Chronicle:
 

Freshly released renderings show plans to redevelop the Westheimer Flea Market, an antique furniture outlet along Westheimer's second-hand shopping corridor,  into a glass-faced retail and restaurant center. 
 

Built as a laundromat in 1929, the building west of Dunlavy Street has housed the flea market since 1970 and is known for its eclectic selection of used home fixtures. 

http://www.chron.com/business/bizfeed/article/Westheimer-Flea-Market-to-be-redeveloped-Montrose-11252886.php

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there is some major overreaction here. The antique store next to this place is not in the greatest shape overall for future urban development. The lot is going to be behind the building. We always complain why developers don't do this, and now that they are SAVING a historic structure and keeping parking in the back, we are STILL complaining. I would be more upset if the furniture place next door was the structure being demolished for parking. In many ways this is a win for the area imo. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not complaining about what the developer is doing, I'm complaining about the amount of parking that the City requires in the walkable urban core. Also, while the facade is saved, 60% of the building has to be torn down to make way for the parking lot.

Edited by kylejack
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm complaining for damn sure. A funky old house is being ripped to shreds for a driveway. Ditto a handful of mature trees. Also, it appears as if half the original building is going to be destroyed and replaced with surface parking.

 

The rehab looks nice but at a huge cost in my mind. And, nobody is talking about the obvious; the continuous sidewalk will be interrupted by a driveway/parking lot adding another obstacle for pedestrians. 

 

This is a net loss for "urbanity" or "density."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, imagine if the big building had been allowed to turn into something else, like a big food hall with a few retail stores inside, and indoor bicycle parking. But no, the City makes us pave paradise to put up a parking lot.

Edited by kylejack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for all those up in arms about the main building... the back half is a cheap addition that was built without much care. This building is being preserved which i am very happy about. The back half had no real value. The loss of the house next door is sad. It adds to the vibe and it will be missed.

 

Small parking garages are the only answer to these lots. Business wont succeed without parking (yet) and the city requirement is there. If the requirement went away the neighborhoods behind will receive the brunt of the cars and they dont want that. Our city is in the first few phases of becoming less car dependent. We may hate seeing all the apartment complexes, but they add to the densitiy that will at some point reach the needed level for a less parking focused commercial economy.

 

I think it is a slight net gain. If the house next door could remain, this would be a slam dunk.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully Pride and Joy Antiques are relocating somewhere else. They do some beautiful restorations of old antique bars.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Business wont succeed without parking


Yet somehow Brasil manages, year after year. Why not let the free market decide? If a place doesn't have sufficient parking then it will go out of business and something else will take its place.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Avossos said:

for all those up in arms about the main building... the back half is a cheap addition that was built without much care. This building is being preserved which i am very happy about. The back half had no real value. The loss of the house next door is sad. It adds to the vibe and it will be missed.

 

Small parking garages are the only answer to these lots. Business wont succeed without parking (yet) and the city requirement is there. If the requirement went away the neighborhoods behind will receive the brunt of the cars and they dont want that. Our city is in the first few phases of becoming less car dependent. We may hate seeing all the apartment complexes, but they add to the densitiy that will at some point reach the needed level for a less parking focused commercial economy.

 

I think it is a slight net gain. If the house next door could remain, this would be a slam dunk.

 

Wait who hates seeing new apartment complexes?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Parking wouldn't be an issue if the city provided better public transportation and loosen parking requirements. It's not just residents who patron the businesses on lower Westheimer, but people drive to Montrose, Midtown, River Oaks, The Galleria, and The Heights from all the city. So it irks me when people make the argument that people can walk to these places because they live nearby and therefore, the businesses don't need parking. That's simply not true. Other than buses, there are no light rail options connecting these busy neighborhoods that would ease parking and the need for parking at individual places. Let's be honest, people aren't going to take the bus to Montrose if they live far away, that in itself takes longer than driving there themselves or hopping on a light rail. Light rail is needed to bring people to the area who would drive their cars because they don't live anywhere nearby.

As Kylejack said, the city needs to do away with parking requirements in dense urban centers like Montrose. The area can't contain excess space for parking lots and the focus should be on more crosswalks, stop lights and walkability. But I don't think parking should be eliminated. There should be parking garage structures that blend into the neighborhood every few blocks or so. Because light rail isn't in the foreseeable future, parking garages would provide a big and organized places for many people to park, while encouraging people to walk to places in Montrose. This would ease up parking requirements the city forces on businesses.

I'm more heartbroken that the funky Westheimer part of Montrose is losing everything that made it unique. All the quirky shops are gone. I don't like it at all.

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of good (and erroneous as well)comments - please allow me to shed some light on the real deal since I am the one redeveloping this project:

-We will be demolishing the Pride and Joy Antique store next door for parking.  If anyone has been this place lately you will realize it is a 100% teardown and there is nothing worth saving here.

-We are planning on keeping 90% or so of the structure of the "back buidling"  It will serve as covered parking.

-We love the existing structure and will be keeping all of the look, feel, etc.  Just bringing up to newer standards with new windows, parking, utilities, etc.  This is a huge plus vs. knocking down completely and starting with something brand new.

-This will not be a "typical strip center" but most likely have one or two tenants -odds are a restaurant with one more smaller user  It will not be a Raising Canes/Mattress Firm redevelopment by any stretch of the imagination.  Tenants will be much more unique, cool, and appropriate for the development and neighborhood.

-I agree regarding everyone's feeling on parking - things are changing by the second and the old city parking model/requirements are no longer relevant for an urban redevelopment like this.  I think the city understands this but as with most government entities, it is going to take longer than any of us would like to see some meaningful change, but I do feel the city leadership "gets it" and we will be eventually moving in the right direction

 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DCRE, thanks for standing up.  

 

So... what about the trees?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2017 at 3:27 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Parking wouldn't be an issue if the city provided better public transportation and loosen parking requirements. It's not just residents who patron the businesses on lower Westheimer, but people drive to Montrose, Midtown, River Oaks, The Galleria, and The Heights from all the city. So it irks me when people make the argument that people can walk to these places because they live nearby and therefore, the businesses don't need parking. That's simply not true. Other than buses, there are no light rail options connecting these busy neighborhoods that would ease parking and the need for parking at individual places. Let's be honest, people aren't going to take the bus to Montrose if they live far away, that in itself takes longer than driving there themselves or hopping on a light rail. Light rail is needed to bring people to the area who would drive their cars because they don't live anywhere nearby.

 

I've been taking buses to Montrose for years. The 82 Westheimer runs every 6 minutes during the day now. My problem is with minimum parking, not with a private business deciding to build some parking. Businesses should build however much parking they think they need, and if it's not enough, their business will suffer and they'll have to build more. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting, DCRE. My ire was 100% directed at the City's backward policies, not at the development, which looks nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kylejack said:

I've been taking buses to Montrose for years. The 82 Westheimer runs every 6 minutes during the day now. My problem is with minimum parking, not with a private business deciding to build some parking. Businesses should build however much parking they think they need, and if it's not enough, their business will suffer and they'll have to build more. 


And how far from Montrose did you take the bus? Was it from Houston's far south side in the vicinity of the Beltway and Telephone Road? Or was it from Houston's east side near Channelview? Or was it from Missouri City or Sugar Land? What about Friendswood or Spring? Taking the bus to Montrose or anywhere downtown outside of the park & rides for work takes hours and no one is going to do that in the evening or when the sun's out for a day or night out in Montrose. The city and districts like Montrose and Upper Kirby need light rail and blended parking garage structures every few blocks to encourage people to park and walk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're not going to convince me of what "no one" will do when I've been relying on bicycle and bus alone for over ten years now. My work commute is about an hour and a half every day per way on transit. I spend the time listening to a podcast or catching up on news. Car reliance is going to become less and less common in the coming years. 

Parking garage structures that an area can share would be great to reduce the amount of surface lots. Unfortunately the City's barbaric parking laws do not allow for this except in special cases and each business must meet its parking requirement with on-site parking within a very short distance of their entrances.

The City has been toying with some special parking areas that will allow for solutions like this, but unfortunately this highly walkable development's location is outside the zone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That old Spanish style laundry/ cleaners has always been a favorite of mine. I'm not too excited about that redevelopment rendering. IMO --- It will look like a new building, You know --- those new ones that are made to look old. I do admire some of those modern designs. I could easily live in one.  But the grittiness of this old building makes it unique. Too bad it will lose that, with the changes, especially the facade's white paint. Why can't they move that bungalow? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2017 at 9:15 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

I think there is some major overreaction here. The antique store next to this place is not in the greatest shape overall for future urban development. The lot is going to be behind the building. We always complain why developers don't do this, and now that they are SAVING a historic structure and keeping parking in the back, we are STILL complaining. I would be more upset if the furniture place next door was the structure being demolished for parking. In many ways this is a win for the area imo. 

 

Yours among other comments in this thread were quoted in Nancy's Looped In podcast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2017 at 5:29 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

Wow really? lol

 

Two of them, actually. One was on the parking podcast and the other on the subject of this thread.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Toasted Cafe is opening in Montrose at the redeveloped Westheimer Flea Market space (the old Hollyfield Cleaners building). The location is 1731 Westheimer.

From Facebook:
Join the Toasted Yolk Cafe in Lower Westheimer HIstoric Retail Redevelopment/7,000 sf Avail/Houston, Tx
https://www.facebook.com/daviscommericalrealestate/posts/1599526843496959

 


jeNDtGi.jpg






 

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a look at the transformation of Lower Westheimer, Houston Chronicle's Nancy Sarnoff spoke with Mark Davis of Davis Commercial.

From the article, a portion on the Westheimer Flea Market at 1731 Westheimer in Montrose (the old Hollyfield Cleaners building):


 

Davis is part of an investment group redeveloping a historic, 5,000-square-foot building at 1731 Westheimer. The group is asking $68 per square foot for the space.

 

“It’s expensive,” he noted. “We’re pushing the envelope. In this area we’re broaching some new ground.”


https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/texas-inc/article/Revival-of-Lower-Westheimer-draws-offbeat-niche-13741908.php

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...