Texas Music Museum Houston

A proposal to place the Texas Music Museum in Houston has been on the table for quite some time. Years ago the city was granted designation for the project but never received $10 million in funding from the state. Lawmakers picked up the idea for Austin, though the bill never passed. Now plans for it to be here may be picking up steam again.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Push-for-Texas-music-museum-in-Houston-revived-11191967.php?cmpid=twitter-premium

AUSTIN -- Like Willie Nelson sang in "The Party's Over," a controversial plan by state leaders to build a Texas State Music Museum in Austin had its lights turned out.

Two separate bills that would have established the new museum in the state Capitol complex, in part of a new government office building across from the Bullock State History Museum, died in the Legislature before it adjourned last Monday -- burying a plan endorsed by Gov. Greg Abbott and other top officials.

It also ended, at least for now, a push by Austin officials to get bragging rights for the state music museum over Houston. In fact, the death of the legislation is re-energizing supporters of a long-planned music museum in the Bayou City to push ahead with their plans.

It's also seen as a boost by others who operate or support music museums statewide. A group of nearly 40 private music museums across Texas that protested the Austin project say the dispute has spurred them to establish a statewide network to showcase the state's colorful and rich music ways that a single museum cannot.

"This has not been a doomsday. It has been an epiphany for everyone on the value of the music business in Texas," said Stephen Williams, a founding member of the Museum of American Music History, a coalition of more than 50 organizations, private collectors and families who he said has been working for years to get the museum located in Houston.

Williams and others who operate or support the dozens of private music museums in Texas said a meeting is planned in July at the Texas Country Music Hall of Fame in Carthage to organize those plans. Many of them felt the push for the new Austin attraction was government overreach.

As far as I know, Houston has been mentioned in one song that can be considered a genuine American standard and will survive the centuries. I suppose when they build the museum, they can inscribe the lyrics above the entrance:

If you ever go to Houston,
Yeah, you better walk right,
You'd better not gamble
And sure thing better not fight.

3 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

As far as I know, Houston has been mentioned in one song that can be considered a genuine American standard and will survive the centuries. I suppose when they build the museum, they can inscribe the lyrics above the entrance:

If you ever go to Houston,
Yeah, you better walk right,
You'd better not gamble
And sure thing better not fight.

What's considered a standard is often dependent on the ear of the behearer, but it's hard to argue with Dylan.

I'm not sure about "surviv[ing] the centuries", but we're three days away from Dino's centennial:

Not sure what having your cities name mentioned in a song has to do with the point, or the article.

Metro Houston and The Golden Triangle have quite a bit to brag about, and have a legitimate claim to the museum.. Janis Joplin, George Jones, Billy Gibbons, Harry James, The Big Bopper, Johnny and Edgar Winter, Tex Ritter, Lyle Lovett, etc, etc. I mention those names (and I'm leaving a bunch off) because of the game changing music and originality that has come from Houston. In addition, the Blues scene here in the 50's and early 60's was a big catalyst for many black musicians, including BB King, Lighning Hopkins, etc.

You cannot swing an armadillo in this state without hitting three cynical schemes for "economic development."  How could this be anything more earnest than a cultural land-grab?  It's not necessary to bother trying gamely to justify it with musical history and authentic originality hoo-hah.  All about the Benjamins.

16 minutes ago, strickn said:

You cannot swing an armadillo in this state without hitting three cynical schemes for "economic development."  How could this be anything more earnest than a cultural land-grab?  It's not necessary to bother trying gamely to justify it with musical history and authentic originality hoo-hah.  All about the Benjamins.

I'm not an idiot and certainly understand economics and the almighty dollar, but this "hoo-hah' is a legitimate argument for the museum being here. As a professional musician in the Houston area for many years, I think I somewhat qualify to make a claim for the museum being here without a smart A comment.

Whether the powers that be decide to choose a city for the right, or wrong reasons, that doesn't dismiss my point. As usual the artistic community is an afterthought when considering art.

2 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

What's considered a standard is often dependent on the ear of the behearer, but it's hard to argue with Dylan.

I'm not sure about "surviv[ing] the centuries", but we're three days away from Dino's centennial:

The lyrics are from "Midnight Special," first published in 1905 and recorded in a hundred versions since. Dylan's song is a spinoff.

3 hours ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

the part about Houston was added by Ledbelly while he was serving in the TDC Jester Unit in Sugar Land

Very interesting. Now I'm reading about it and it appears that it had many early versions not tied to Houston until Leadbelly came along. I had thought that it originated here. But most later versions seem to follow Leadbelly.

Fannin Street

Tom Waits

There's a crooked street in Houston town
it's a well worn path I've followed down
now there's ruin in my name 
I wish I never got off the train
I wished I'd listened to the words you said

don't go down to Fannin Street
oh yeah
you'll be lost and never found
you can never turn around

once I held you in my arms I was sure
till I took that silent step through the gilded door
but the desire to have much more all the glitter and the roar
now I know that this is where the sidewalk ends

when I was young I thought only of getting out
I said good-bye to my street 
good-bye to my house
give a man gin give a man cards 
give an inch he takes a yard
and I rue the day that I stepped off this train

oh yeah

On 6/3/2017 at 9:16 PM, houstontexasjack said:

Also, Geto Boys, Fat Pat, lil' Troy, and Destiny's Child are from here and have a place in Texas Music History.  "Tops Drop" is an H-Town classic.

Trunks keep popping
Tops keep dropping down in Houston

:P

The Austin music scene has become almost putrid to many Texas musicians. There has been a big exodus of musicians over the last couple of years that have moved to, or back to Houston and Dallas. It's scene has become a click of arrogance, and is not what it once was. Unless your in with the club owners, a regional act, or prepared to pay to play, it's a crap hole.

On 6/5/2017 at 0:00 AM, mkultra25 said:

Fannin Street

Tom Waits

There's a crooked street in Houston town
it's a well worn path I've followed down
now there's ruin in my name 
I wish I never got off the train
I wished I'd listened to the words you said

oh yeah

once I held you in my arms I was sure
till I took that silent step through the gilded door
but the desire to have much more all the glitter and the roar
now I know that this is where the sidewalk ends

when I was young I thought only of getting out
I said good-bye to my street 
good-bye to my house
give a man gin give a man cards 
give an inch he takes a yard
and I rue the day that I stepped off this train

oh yeah

Oh snap! I live on Fannin!

On 6/5/2017 at 3:45 PM, Gary said:

The Austin music scene has become almost putrid to many Texas musicians. There has been a big exodus of musicians over the last couple of years that have moved to, or back to Houston and Dallas. It's scene has become a click of arrogance, and is not what it once was. Unless your in with the club owners, a regional act, or prepared to pay to play, it's a crap hole.

Very few musicians can afford to live in Austin these days. Heck, very few people can afford to live in Austin these days. 

The bands that actually get paid, make more than they do here. Basically a cost of living increase.

The issue with Austin's scene is not as much an economic issue, as it is with general mindset of the club owners, and the somewhat native musicians. It's become conceited and arrogant.  Houston and Dallas" scenes are a direct 180 from that.  It's really a shame because there is some fantastic talent in Houston, and Dallas.

In the 70's we used to play Austin for a week, once month and always had a great time, made a fair amount and always had genuinely nice crowds,

This was the days when Castle Creek, Soap Creek, Antones, The Broken Spoke, Armadillo,  Boondocks, were all thriving. 

Austin City Limits had just started its run and it truly was a place to be. You could catch great acts every where and it was a totally different scene. I visit with musicians that liv there now and its not what it used to be. Most of them have moved away from the city or are working a day job just to be able to keep playing occasionally. They have two huge festivals every year and bring in lots of talent but its gotten so out of hand its hard to hear much.

I'll stay here and go out and listen to the same bands that play Austin and enjoy it so much more.

Austin has been seduced by the almighty dollar and it's just not the same old college town it used to be.

9 hours ago, bobruss said:

In the 70's we used to play Austin for a week, once month and always had a great time, made a fair amount and always had genuinely nice crowds,

This was the days when Castle Creek, Soap Creek, Antones, The Broken Spoke, Armadillo,  Boondocks, were all thriving. 

Austin City Limits had just started its run and it truly was a place to be. You could catch great acts every where and it was a totally different scene. I visit with musicians that liv there now and its not what it used to be. Most of them have moved away from the city or are working a day job just to be able to keep playing occasionally. They have two huge festivals every year and bring in lots of talent but its gotten so out of hand its hard to hear much.

I'll stay here and go out and listen to the same bands that play Austin and enjoy it so much more.

Austin has been seduced by the almighty dollar and it's just not the same old college town it used to be.

Dead on... But, even the festivals now are not what they once were. Take SXSW for instance... When my band (or any of the bands) was accepted to the festival in 92, it was a very big deal. Producers and record executives from Nashville and L.A. actually went to the shows. They actually signed acts. Now it's simply a famous festival that caters to the tourists.

Edit: By the way, I want to go on record stating that I love Austin. It has so much to offer.

• 5 months later...

Houston has taken back plans for a Music Museum.

https://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2017/12/council-drills-capitol-plan/

Asked by Council Member Alison Alter what type of museum would eventually grace the new pedestrian mall, Howard said that although hopes of a Texas Music Museum had been dashed by Houston-area legislators during the last legislative session, whatever is approved would be something complementary to the nearby Bullock and Blanton museums.

1 hour ago, Urbannizer said:

Houston has taken back plans for a Music Museum.

https://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2017/12/council-drills-capitol-plan/

more short sightedness about the future by our lovely Texas legislature.  I guess they have so much more pressing things to worry about, like women's inner parts and bathroom usage regulations.  Oh well.

25 minutes ago, ArtNsf said:

more short sightedness about the future by our lovely Texas legislature.  I guess they have so much more pressing things to worry about, like women's inner parts and bathroom usage regulations.  Oh well.

I think we'll be just fine not having a Texas Music Museum in Austin.  

• The title was changed to Texas Music Museum Houston

Archived