Don Mahoney And Jeana Clair

Watchful

I remember Cadette Don, too, and I was on Kitrik in about l958. You lined up, and Kitrik asked you what you wanted to be when you grew up, and then Nod the Clown handed you a present. Right about when it was my turn, a little boy wandered up and whined "I want a present! I want a doll-thing!" Kitrik murmered "Nod, give him somethng! (this was on TV, live). Nod handed him a present, and after an interminable minute, a parent rushed up and got him. And does anyone remember Uncle Bert Lynn, a rapid-fire-fast-talking kid-host? I think he was connected with the auction show where kids could bid Lucky-Bucks for toys on the air (You cut Lucky-Bucks out of emptied milk cartons, Carnation, probably, and used them like money.) Several childless neighbor ladies saved their Lucky-Bucks for me, and I bid 5,300 of them for a plastic whale that spurted water in the bathtub. What an extravagant waste! I could've had a Patty Playpal doll for that many Lucky-Bucks.

Cadet Don wore a cool spage age suit and had a puppet named Seymour.

Kitirik's real name was Bunny Orsak and her named was cleverly evolved from KTRK get it?

This link should help answer many of our questions. and now for our Feature Presentation kiddies! :lol:

http://tvparty.com/losthouston.html

• 2 months later...
On one of the shows (maybe Kitirik's), if it was your birthday, you got to talk to the host, then grab a handful of pennies. I never got to do that, but I did try that later in life, and it is very hard to get many pennies out of a container.

This was Mary Janes Magic Castle. Our Girl Scout troup went there and I thought all the kids that had birthdays were getting rich digging in those pennies! :rolleyes:

And does anyone remember Uncle Bert Lynn, a rapid-fire-fast-talking kid-host?

Bert Lynn had an afternoon kid show that was Channel 2's answer to Kitirik on KTRK. His show was "Looney Town", and it had the same format and layout Kitirik had. A gallery of local kids age 5 to about 8 or 9, hosts Uncle Bert and his steel guitar named "Stringy", silly games, cartoons and repartee with the kids. I was a card carrying member of Looney Town.

I recall it not being as popular as Kitirik because Lynn just didn't project the warmth Kitirik had with kids. She really liked kids and the kids loved her and you could see it in the way she did the show and inter acted with the kids. No matter how hard he tried, and he did try, Lynn couldn't match that, and I remember his show went away a long time before Kitirik's run finally ended.

Bert Lynn owned a music store -- Lynn's Music -- on the southeast side of town, somewhere around Park Place and Telephone Road I think. I remember going in there for some reason in the early sixties, and I saw Lynn in the back giving guitar lessons to some kid who looked to be about 10 or 11. I could tell Lynn was tired and just going through the motions.

Lynn wasn't just a musician and TV has-been. He was a smart entrepreneur with a good eye for what would make money. In the late 60s, Lynn got the first Texas franchise to sell Hobie Cats, a line of small catamaran sailboats that proved to be very popular here on the gulf coast.

He opened a sailboat and catamaran dealership that's still doing business on the Gulf Freeway feeder just north of Park Place. Lynn's Sailboats. I think one of his sons runs it now. Bert passed away some years ago.

Edited by FilioScotia

• 9 months later...

Neat Thread...just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I was born in 1951 and grew up in Garden Villas near Hobby Airport. I attended Garden Villas Elementary, Hartman Jr. High, Jones High, and Sterling High.

I remember Bert Lynn as I took some steel guitar lessons there and later, bought a 6-string Yamaha to learn on. (Subsequent instrument purchases were made at Brook Mays on Gulf Freeway. I still have the 1969 Fender Precision Bass I bought there new)

I remember watching Gene and Claire show, Cadet Don (and Seymour), Kitterick (yes, had a crush), Utah Carl (show started with a shot of a boot, right?), WIERD (intro used to scare the daylights out of me), Peppermint Park, Gulfgate Mall, and I regularly attended the Sat. matinee at Santa Rosa Theater. Went downtown a few times for parades with my brother and we hit the James Coney Island down there. I don't remember watching any Uncle Bert Lynn shows, but I remember a photo where he used a top hat.

In 1953, my Dad designed and built a 1-piece fiberglass car body called the "Venus" and it was on the front of Motor Trend May 1954. Now 50 some-odd years later, I acquired 1 of only 10 or so Venus bodies that were ever made, and, there is only one other Venus known to be in existence. I am restoring this Venus back to the original prototype as used on the MT cover. The story of the Venus is quite interesting for those of you who are gear-heads, and you can read about it here: http://www.mcload.com/Personal%20Site/the_...s%20History.htm

I am hoping to have it ready for show in about a year.

I also maintain a blog that gives updates on the restoration, and it is at http://mcload.wordpress.com/

Those were the days, weren't they?

Patrick McLoad

Edited by mcload

Neat Thread...just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

I was born in 1951 and grew up in Garden Villas near Hobby Airport. I attended Garden Villas Elementary, Hartman Jr. High, Jones High, and Sterling High.

I remember Bert Lynn as I took some steel guitar lessons there and later, bought a 6-string Yamaha to learn on. (Subsequent instrument purchases were made at Brook Mays on Gulf Freeway. I still have the 1969 Fender Precision Bass I bought there new)

I remember watching Gene and Claire show, Cadet Don (and Seymour), Kitterick (yes, had a crush), Utah Carl (show started with a shot of a boot, right?), WIERD (intro used to scare the daylights out of me), Peppermint Park, Gulfgate Mall, and I regularly attended the Sat. matinee at Santa Rosa Theater. Went downtown a few times for parades with my brother and we hit the James Coney Island down there. I don't remember watching any Uncle Bert Lynn shows, but I remember a photo where he used a top hat.

In 1953, my Dad designed and built a 1-piece fiberglass car body called the "Venus" and it was on the front of Motor Trend May 1954. Now 50 some-odd years later, I acquired 1 of only 10 or so Venus bodies that were ever made, and, there is only one other Venus known to be in existence. I am restoring this Venus back to the original prototype as used on the MT cover. The story of the Venus is quite interesting for those of you who are gear-heads, and you can read about it here: http://www.mcload.com/Personal%20Site/the_...s%20History.htm

I am hoping to have it ready for show in about a year.

(I also maintain a blog that gives updates on the restoration, and it is at http://mcload.wordpress.com/)

Those were the days, weren't they?

Patrick McLoad

Please encourage your pals, relatives etc to join The Haif. Its the rare stories like this one, I personally love to hear! Can't get enough. :P

You should be real proud as they used to reach all children from all ethnicities and backgrounds. All six of us kids would gather in a semi-circle just to watch the show! We would imitate the dancing in our living room floor! A time not to be seen again I'm afraid.

Me too, it came on, early on Sunday mornings...along with the Davy & Goliath cartoon (dough people and dog).

Me too, it came on, early on Sunday mornings...along with the Davy & Goliath cartoon (dough people and dog).

daveyandgoliath.jpg

Their home was really MOD 60's too!

We kids used to immitate the dogs voice, (hysterical when I think about it).

whigs4DaveyGoliath.jpg

daveyandgoliath.jpg

Their home was really MOD 60's too!

We kids used to immitate the dogs voice, (hysterical when I think about it).

whigs4DaveyGoliath.jpg

:lol: ...where do you find this stuff?! My dog is that tall, too. Oops, I'm drifting again.

I always loved the cowboy gear that Don and Jeana wore. Like you saw in the Sears catalog. Maybe theirs was a little more authentic. I remember him playing a ukelele(sp?). Speaking of cowboys, Gunsmoke's Matt Dillion was a fav cowboy of mine.

Edited by NenaE

• 1 month later...

hi everyone...my first time here...i happened on this site tonight and it's really made me homesick for Houston. i've been reading the threads and it's been so much fun to remember Don Mahoney and Jeana Claire...Kitirik...Cadet Don Travis and Cadet Don Davis...Mary Jane...Kitty Borah...Houston "Rasslin and all the others, but one that wasn't mentioned was Mister Caboose on channel 11. does anyone else remember him?

misplaced txgirl living in yankee land Pa.

• 4 weeks later...
Oh my the all time classic children's show had to be the Kiddie Troopers with Don Mahoney and Jeana Clair (spelling?).

For the taped opening intro and the closing "outro" they would ride up on their horses like Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. Then the bulk of the show was a kiddie talent show.

Positively horrific. Twirlers, tap dancers, glittery outfits - it was awful and awesome at the same time. It was around the late 60s or so when it was on channel 39 or one of those UHF stations.

Back in the late 80s the reruns of the old shows reappeared (IIRC) on Houston access stations.

I swear they should make a DVD of the greatest hits. They were the greatest! :o

Wow! I just came across this site a couple of month's ago and i am enjoying it very much. Don Mahoney and Jeane Claire. We first moved to Houston in October of 1966 and that was one of the first locally produced TV show's i remember seeing. I think it was produced locally. There was another show, Cowboy Weaver that also aired on one of the station's. And of course,Kiterik , i think was the name and the spelling of the show that was broadcast on KTRK TV. A lot of memories from that time. I live in Florida now after leaving Houston in 1996. I sure find myself missing Houston or the way it used to be. I'm planning a visit soon. On Kriv in the 70s there was a show called "Pause for the night". Hosted by Roger Gray. The band i was playing in at the time appeared on that show. We thought that was going to propel us into "the Big Time". They showed it about 3:30 in the morning. Needless to say, our propellant ran out in short order because everyone was either asleep or passed out by that time.

Edited by stratcat50

Wow! I just came across this site a couple of month's ago and i am enjoying it very much. Don Mahoney and Jeane Claire. We first moved to Houston in October of 1966 and that was one of the first locally produced TV show's i remember seeing. I think it was produced locally. There was another show, Cowboy Weaver that also aired on one of the station's. And of course,Kiterik , i think was the name and the spelling of the show that was broadcast on KTRK TV. A lot of memories from that time. I live in Florida now after leaving Houston in 1996. I sure find myself missing Houston or the way it used to be. I'm planning a visit soon. On Kriv in the 70s there was a show called "Pause for the night". Hosted by Roger Gray. The band i was playing in at the time appeared on that show. We thought that was going to propel us into "the Big Time". They showed it about 3:30 in the morning. Needless to say, our propellant ran out in short order because everyone was either asleep or passed out by that time.

hello i see you were wandering if there were any dvd's in progress. don mahoney was my grandfather. please don't hesitate to email me at: gvin2904@yahoo.com i will be happy to answer any question you have...

• 2 months later...

Don Mahoney and Jeana Clair were at my 7th birthday party on December 20, 1960. A few minutes ago, I finished digitizing a 25 minute audio recording of the event, complete with the songs, jokes, laughs, and lots of us kiddies hollering with joy. My dad, now 85, recorded the party on a 60s model reel-to-reel recorder, and I used my newer (yet obsolete) one and some software to convert the recording to digital audio and MP3. The magnetic tape was is in superior condition after all these years, and the sound quality is good. I found the tape reel when I was cleaning out my dad's house in Houston a few months ago.

Here's why they were at my party. My dad worked for a sponsor of the show, the now defunct Parade food division of the Hunt Oil Company. He and the "stars" had a good personal relationship that grew from the obviously good sponsor relationship. So when Daddy asked them to entertain at my party, they were happy to.

alfredreed@live.com

----------

hello i see you were wandering if there were any dvd's in progress. don mahoney was my grandfather. please don't hesitate to email me at: gvin2904@yhoo.com

• 2 weeks later...

Don Mahoney and Jeana Clair were at my 7th birthday party on December 20, 1960. A few minutes ago, I finished digitizing a 25 minute audio recording of the event, complete with the songs, jokes, laughs, and lots of us kiddies hollering with joy. My dad, now 85, recorded the party on a 60s model reel-to-reel recorder, and I used my newer (yet obsolete) one and some software to convert the recording to digital audio and MP3. The magnetic tape was is in superior condition after all these years, and the sound quality is good. I found the tape reel when I was cleaning out my dad's house in Houston a few months ago.

Here's why they were at my party. My dad worked for a sponsor of the show, the now defunct Parade food division of the Hunt Oil Company. He and the "stars" had a good personal relationship that grew from the obviously good sponsor relationship. So when Daddy asked them to entertain at my party, they were happy to.

alfredreed@live.com

----------

hello i see you were wandering if there were any dvd's in progress. don mahoney was my grandfather. please don't hesitate to email me at: gvin2904@yhoo.com

I am so glad I have found this website I have been taken back to my childhood thru reading all the posts about Don Mahoney and Jenna Claire and Kitirick.

I was born in 1964 and I don't remember how old I was when I appeared on the Kitirick show. I just remember the lights were bright and I rode on a carousel. The lady in a cat suit with whiskers and a tail asked me what I wanted to be when I grow up. I said a cowgirl ha ha. I never reached that goal.

I remember me and my sister would watch Don Mahoney and Jenna Claire show and we loved it.

No cable TV and only a few channels to pick from back then. Kids would die now days if they had to watch the shows we did. My grandparents lived in Northeast Houston and we would watch all the black and white westerns under the metal dining room table with my grandpa.

I miss those days and the Houston of long ago. I hear Houston is booming and huge. I live in East TN now in a small town. The world is changing and its so good to reminisce of days long gone thru these threads.

Thank you all for sharing your stories and keep them coming.

Email me if you like sassi_britches@yahoo.com

I am so glad I have found this website I have been taken back to my childhood thru reading all the posts about Don Mahoney and Jenna Claire and Kitirick.

I was born in 1964 and I don't remember how old I was when I appeared on the Kitirick show. I just remember the lights were bright and I rode on a carousel. The lady in a cat suit with whiskers and a tail asked me what I wanted to be when I grow up. I said a cowgirl ha ha. I never reached that goal.

I remember me and my sister would watch Don Mahoney and Jenna Claire show and we loved it.

No cable TV and only a few channels to pick from back then. Kids would die now days if they had to watch the shows we did. My grandparents lived in Northeast Houston and we would watch all the black and white westerns under the metal dining room table with my grandpa.

I miss those days and the Houston of long ago. I hear Houston is booming and huge. I live in East TN now in a small town. The world is changing and its so good to reminisce of days long gone thru these threads.

Thank you all for sharing your stories and keep them coming.

Email me if you like sassi_britches@yahoo.com

HAIF is great, isn't it! I also wanted to be a cowgirl... :lol: And I loved Kitirik. I also recall the Late Show song, (when I was a little older), right before the TV stations stopped their broadcasting for the day.

HAIF is great, isn't it! I also wanted to be a cowgirl... :lol: And I loved Kitirik. I also recall the Late Show song, (when I was a little older), right before the TV stations stopped their broadcasting for the day.

The Late Show

First the news and weather then the late show

The greatest movies ever made

And you see them free, right on your own TV

You never need a ticket for the late show

Relax and just sit back and watch the late show

No need to far

You don't need to use the car

Or something close to that :)

The Late Show

First the news and weather then the late show

And you see them free, right on your own TV

You never need a ticket for the late show

Relax and just sit back and watch the late show

No need to far

You don't need to use the car

Or something close to that :)

I never knew the words, before... :lol: . My grandmother used to watch Lawrence Welk, with that bubble machine & that wand (what are those called?). I know, I'm off topic...so easy to do.

• 5 months later...

I danced with my mom on The Don Mahoney Show, on channel 39 on Sunday's in Texas. I am wanting the tapes or dvd so bad for me to give to my mom for Mother's day. Can someone help me out with this? It was in the year of 1976-1977? My mom is Barbara, last name at the time was Mata. Can someone Help????? I am hoping that you all have old tapes to old shows.

Thanks,

Jessica beel is my name for this blog

I dunno, I was REAL young when Kitirik was on, but I remember having a crush on her. LOL!! I also remember Cadet Don and the Casper cartoons Ch 13 used to show early mornings -- did not have a crush on him. LOL!!!! Anybody remember Captain Harold?

I think someone had brought up Captain Harold in another thread?

I cannot think of his real name but if I recall he would introduce late night B-movies? or was it Rock n Roll Bands? he was dressed like a fighter pilot with goggle sand scarf. Had a big mustache. I think he was sort of a local TV personality on Channel 26? I do remember seeing him dressed in business suits while on TV so he did more than just the Captain bit. He always had gorgeous women around him so either he was supplying them good stuff or ? Wonder what became of him, hope hes not in the Betty Ford Clinic like most of them.

This was also when they used to show The Three Stooges after Popeye & Mighty Mouse cartoons. Cant forget the After School Specials. See we did pretty good without any blasted cable TV.

His name was Harold Gunn. He lived in Houston for quite a while, as he was an alumni of Lee High School.

Wow...I just found this site. I took dancing at Hallie Pritchard's for many years. Until 1976. I remember 3 or 4 times of being on Don Mahoney & Jeanna Claire. y'all have brought back lots of memories. My mom is struggling with cancer and I am staying with her. Reading all of this has really taken me back. Thanks for the memories they are great ones. I too would be most interested in dvd's of those shows. If anyone can tell me how to get those. Also, any tapes or dvd's from dance recitals would be great. Wonderful mother's day gift.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It was bizarre and facinating at the same time. Don going blind and Jeana Claire looking like she was on a Valium drip-but me and my sisters loved it. We would roll around on the floor and howl watching my crazy middle sister try to imitate the baton twirlers with a crow bar. laugh.gif

Oh yeah, a peice of trivia: Annette O'Toole got her "Big Break" on the show! Now she plays Superboy's Ma on TV.

cool.gif

Annette O'Toole was my dancing teachers' daughter! She was in the same recitals as me! AND Delyse Lively danced there also and on the DMJC show. She won a Tony award for her role in Smokey Joe's Cafe as the SHIMMY girl!

I am also a native Houstonian & former student of Hallie Pritchard's dance studio. I probably ran into you out at the show at times. You know, every week was an exciting experience for me. There were many times that I performed on the show as well. I remember Annette O'toole being on the show several times before she went to Hollywood. She sang each time & has a beautiful voice. She is now Superman's mom on the show called Smallville.

I understand that you are interested in some of the past shows that my dad did. Well, Jeanna Clare has quite a few of them. The only problem is is that they are big reels, & not transfered to a VCR tape or DVD disk. They would have to be taken to someone who could transfer them. I am fortunate enough to have the first show ever made by my dad. If you could see it, I guarantee it would probably bring tears to your eyes. I would love to find the kids who performed on my dad's first show. I know they would like to have a copy of that show. This is the only copy of the show that Jeanna Clare had made into a VCR tape. Hopefully you will contact me & maybe we can find one of the shows that you were on. We can contact Jeanna Clare. (Not my mom, just my dad's partner).

Oh my goodness what a great memory for me! I was on the Don Mahoney and Jeanna Claire show many many MANY times as a child. I attended the Mary Margaret Niland School of Dance, and Annette O'Toole was my jazz teachers daughter! Another star from there and on the show was Delyse Lively. She won a Tony Award for her performance in Smokey Joe's Cafe as the shimmy girl! She has an Awesome voice as well!

I would absolutely LOVE to see any of the DM&JC shows and would especially love to show my own daughter my abilities! I loved that time in my life so much, I even named my daughter after Delyse!

I am so excited to have found this forum!

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...