Don Mahoney And Jeana Clair

Watchful

You know, I will ask Jeanna Clare tonight. I will call her. She has all the tapes.

Thanks so much. I was 18 months old in the beginning, I do know that, but I am having trouble remembering exactly how long I sang on his show. I know that we went to Beaumont - no idea how many times.

Thanks so much for all your effort about these tapes.

Your Dad meant a lot to me - to many, many people.

I am sure that you are a lot like him.

B

Did everyone who was contributing to this thread fall off the face of the earth???? Where did everybody go?????

Please forgive me for taking so long to answer you, but my computer is not working well at home & I have to answer my e-mails after work. I have the first tape of my dad's show. You would just love it. It is done in black & white & the talent was so good you wouldn't believe it. I would like to get in touch with you regarding when you were on the shows. We may have some tapes of you. Need to go home, I still need to talk to Jeanna Clare about how many tapes she has & if she has any from Beaumont.

Please forgive me for taking so long to answer you, but my computer is not working well at home & I have to answer my e-mails after work. I have the first tape of my dad's show. You would just love it. It is done in black & white & the talent was so good you wouldn't believe it. I would like to get in touch with you regarding when you were on the shows. We may have some tapes of you. Need to go home, I still need to talk to Jeanna Clare about how many tapes she has & if she has any from Beaumont.

I talked to my Mom - who is 83. She thinks that I was on quite regularly from 1958-1965. My signature outfit was a red cowgirl outfit with white fringe. One of the songs that I sang was "Ragtime Cowboy Joe" but neither one of us can remember any other songs I sang. My name was Bonnie Sue James. I would appreciate anything you could do to help me find at least one of my performances. My teenage sons would laugh - and maybe be a little proud of their Mom.

As I've stated before, I loved your Dad so much. He was a very, very sweet man - a good person.

• 1 month later...

My sister and I were on Kitirik about '58 and we couldn't wait for our little brothers to be on when they were old enough. When the big time finally came, my brothers were the last 2 and they had a hard time holding it...they humiliated their sisters by dancing back and forth and holding themselves. I guess there were no outtakes or do-overs back in the day.... :(

Johnny Winter was one of the great musicians I listen to. It was Janis, Jimi, Jim, and Johnny. Johnny and Edgar grew up in Beaumont Texas and one of their first public performances as adolescents was on the "Don Mahoney and Jeanna Clare Show" With snow white hair and bouncy energy...Johnny TORE UP the songs "Good Morning Little School Girl" and "Johnny B. Goode". I remember it like it was yesterday, I would love to have tape of that show. Johnny is a really cool cat, have been friends with him for years, and I can guarantee he doesn't even have any tapes of that. I became acquainted with him back in the early 70's through a mutual friend that happened to have been his drummer for a couple years, Uncle John "Unc" Turner.

Anyway Don Mahoney and Jeana Clare gave stage birth to one of R&R's greatest guitar legends. The story I was told that the Winters brothers won a local talent contest of some sort and got to appear on the "Don Mahoney and Jeanna Clare Show" as part of the 1st place prize. And I am certain if a person dug in the archives there are several more big stars that got their start on "Don Mahoney and Jeanna Clare Show". What a great piece of Texas History they are and a tribute to these two people who gave back more than they ever got, from an industry that is tough to make it in. This same industry that is very cut throat and at times ruthless, they are a breath of fresh air.

Just a note, if any of you get up to Security TX (on 105 between Conroe and Cleveland) to the flea market they have there, there is a sweet little old lady there Named Mrs. Lake, Her and her husband Freddie Lake performed under the name, the lakes. They were good friends I think of Don Mahoney and Jeanna Clare. She has a neat little booth up there full of old photos and records from years and years ago. I think her first name is Gladys, but I am not sure, she's always been Mrs. Lake to me. Freddie died several years ago, but she's still around as far as I know. I haven't seen her in several months. People that are into the old days of the Ryman and the Grand Ole Opry, may be interested in Mrs. Lake.

• 1 month later...
From The Houston Tribune

JEANNA CLARE AND DON MAHONEY

by Gloria Cambell Cross

...Don is deceased and Jeanna lives quietly in the Heights. She remembers the words of Elvis and from time to time she still sings her songs for special occasions at the retirement home where she lives.

cowboy.jpg

What a wonderful and heartwarming article about two of the finest people this city has ever known. A million thanks to you for finding it and sharing it. Is it a recent article? I guess I'm asking if Jeanna is still living. It would be nice to know which retirement home she lives in, so we could send a card thanking her for being such an important part of our lives.

• 2 weeks later...

HELLO EVERYONE,

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE FOR POSTING COMMENTS ABOUT MY GRANDFATHER , JACK BARTLETT MALONEY (A.K.A.) DON MAHONEY. I KNOW YOU WEREN'T POSTING THESE COMMENTS FOR ME OR MY FAMILY, BUT I'M SAYING THANK YOU BECAUSE MY FAMILY AND I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIND PEOPLE WHO WATCHED HIS SHOW. I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW EXCITED I AM TO READ ALL OF YOUR COMMENTS. IF ANYONE HAS ANY QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS PLEASE EMAIL ME @ gvin2904@yahoo.com. thank you.

HELLO EVERYONE,

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE FOR POSTING COMMENTS ABOUT MY GRANDFATHER , JACK BARTLETT MALONEY (A.K.A.) DON MAHONEY. I KNOW YOU WEREN'T POSTING THESE COMMENTS FOR ME OR MY FAMILY, BUT I'M SAYING THANK YOU BECAUSE MY FAMILY AND I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO FIND PEOPLE WHO WATCHED HIS SHOW. I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW EXCITED I AM TO READ ALL OF YOUR COMMENTS. IF ANYONE HAS ANY QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS PLEASE EMAIL ME @ gvin2904@yahoo.com. thank you.

You should be real proud as they used to reach all children from all ethnicities and backgrounds. All six of us kids would gather in a semi-circle just to watch the show! We would imitate the dancing in our living room floor! A time not to be seen again I'm afraid.

Edited by Vertigo58

You should be real proud as they used to reach all children from all ethnicities and backgrounds. All six of us kids would gather in a semi-circle just to watch the show! We would imitate the dancing in our living room floor! A time not to be seen again I'm afraid.

Your grandfather was a very special man. He was very kind and caring. I was on his show more times than I can count from 1957 until at least 1967 if not later than that. I went to Beaumont to be on his show as well.

I will be 51 on Thursday, and I have SO many good memories of him!!!!

HELLO EVERYONE,

The Heritage Society in Sam Houston Park has a cowboy suit worn by Don Mahoney in its collections.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR SUSAN: YOU SENT ME AN EMAIL THE OTHER DAY REGUARDING MY AUNT CLARE I SOME HOW LOST YOUR EMAIL YOU SENT ME AND WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW MY AUNT IS LOOKING FOR YOU AS WELL SO PLEASE IF YOU GET THIS SEND ME AN EMAIL AGAIN WITH YOUR INFO THANX PATRICIA.

This show was great. When we were kids all of us would start going in circles pretending to be riding imaginary horses. The living room became the studio. To this day we still call each other Kiddie Troopers.

We must have wore out that carpet quick.

Watching this couple on TV was like having an aunt & uncle visit. :D

Wonder if anyone has done a topic on Romper Room or Cadet Don? These were 2 other very popular kid shows and Kitty's Corner too! Kitirik was her name, for KTRK right?

and she lives up in Conroe somewhere.

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR SUSAN: YOU SENT ME AN EMAIL THE OTHER DAY REGUARDING MY AUNT CLARE I SOME HOW LOST YOUR EMAIL YOU SENT ME AND WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW MY AUNT IS LOOKING FOR YOU AS WELL SO PLEASE IF YOU GET THIS SEND ME AN EMAIL AGAIN WITH YOUR INFO THANX PATRICIA.

Would you please ask your aunt if she was the singer of the original Thunderbolt Motor and Transmission Company theme from the 1970s? THIS is how I imagine she sounded. I love that song. I often sing it to myself. Singing it with proper accent should be one of the ways to prove someone is a native Houstonian.

• 2 weeks later...
Would you please ask your aunt if she was the singer of the original Thunderbolt Motor and Transmission Company theme from the 1970s? THIS is how I imagine she sounded. I love that song. I often sing it to myself. Singing it with proper accent should be one of the ways to prove someone is a native Houstonian.

Heheheheheh...yeah, I remember my mother hauling my young butt up to the KHTV studios when my sister was on Don Mahoney and Jeanna Clair. Her dance class was on there...lol

This show was great. When we were kids all of us would start going in circles pretending to be riding imaginary horses. The living room became the studio. To this day we still call each other Kiddie Troopers.

We must have wore out that carpet quick.

Watching this couple on TV was like having an aunt & uncle visit. :D

Wonder if anyone has done a topic on Romper Room or Cadet Don? These were 2 other very popular kid shows and Kitty's Corner too! Kitirik was her name, for KTRK right?

and she lives up in Conroe somewhere.

I dunno, I was REAL young when Kitirik was on, but I remember having a crush on her. LOL!! I also remember Cadet Don and the Casper cartoons Ch 13 used to show early mornings -- did not have a crush on him. LOL!!!! Anybody remember Captain Harold?

I dunno, I was REAL young when Kitirik was on, but I remember having a crush on her. LOL!! I also remember Cadet Don and the Casper cartoons Ch 13 used to show early mornings -- did not have a crush on him. LOL!!!! Anybody remember Captain Harold?

I think someone had brought up Captain Harold in another thread?

I cannot think of his real name but if I recall he would introduce late night B-movies? or was it Rock n Roll Bands? he was dressed like a fighter pilot with goggle sand scarf. Had a big mustache. I think he was sort of a local TV personality on Channel 26? I do remember seeing him dressed in business suits while on TV so he did more than just the Captain bit. He always had gorgeous women around him so either he was supplying them good stuff or ? Wonder what became of him, hope hes not in the Betty Ford Clinic like most of them.

This was also when they used to show The Three Stooges after Popeye & Mighty Mouse cartoons. Cant forget the After School Specials. See we did pretty good without any blasted cable TV.

I cannot think of his real name but if I recall he would introduce late night B-movies? or was it Rock n Roll Bands? he was dressed like a fighter pilot with goggle sand scarf. Had a big mustache. I think he was sort of a local TV personality on Channel 26? I do remember seeing him dressed in business suits while on TV so he did more than just the Captain bit. He always had gorgeous women around him so either he was supplying them good stuff or ? Wonder what became of him, hope hes not in the Betty Ford Clinic like most of them.

This was also when they used to show The Three Stooges after Popeye & Mighty Mouse cartoons. Cant forget the After School Specials. See we did pretty good without any blasted cable TV.

Harold also did numerous local commercials, including Pilgrim cleaners, that's probably where you saw him in a suit.

• 4 weeks later...

I remember Cadette Don, too, and I was on Kitrik in about l958. You lined up, and Kitrik asked you what you wanted to be when you grew up, and then Nod the Clown handed you a present. Right about when it was my turn, a little boy wandered up and whined "I want a present! I want a doll-thing!" Kitrik murmered "Nod, give him somethng! (this was on TV, live). Nod handed him a present, and after an interminable minute, a parent rushed up and got him. And does anyone remember Uncle Bert Lynn, a rapid-fire-fast-talking kid-host? I think he was connected with the auction show where kids could bid Lucky-Bucks for toys on the air (You cut Lucky-Bucks out of emptied milk cartons, Carnation, probably, and used them like money.) Several childless neighbor ladies saved their Lucky-Bucks for me, and I bid 5,300 of them for a plastic whale that spurted water in the bathtub. What an extravagant waste! I could've had a Patty Playpal doll for that many Lucky-Bucks.