East Washington At 1818-1814 Washington Ave.

Mab

So, funny enough, the buildings would be Sixth Ward, but I think the parking lot would almost entirely be in First Ward. The boundary between the wards was an extension of Congress, but the grid on this side of the bayou is rotated from the downtown grid, so the boundary cuts across at a weird angle. 

I tend to think that, in a contemporary setting (and since the wards don't really mean anything anymore), a more useful distinction would be made either at Washington or at the (not-long-for-this-world) rail line.

Please tread lightly when speaking of the border line between the 1st and 6th.  A great kerfuffle took place when an unsuspecting group of neighborhood backers made plans to hang the 1st ward banners along Washington Ave.  While the dispute was resolved in favor of geographic accuracy, for several months there were tepid greetings of "morning" at Catalina Coffee House between 1st and 6th residents as 1st ward residents licked their wounds.  

5 hours ago, Angostura said:

This would be big news.

Eh, the comment above was a bit overstated. The line parallel to Washington will stay pretty much intact, while the line on Winter St will be removed altogether as part of the I-45 reroute. There will be a new double-tracked bridge over White Oak Bayou.

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2018 at 10:39 AM, ADCS said:

Eh, the comment above was a bit overstated. The line parallel to Washington will stay pretty much intact, while the line on Winter St will be removed altogether as part of the I-45 reroute. There will be a new double-tracked bridge over White Oak Bayou.

If they decommissioned the Winter Street line, it seems like they would need to double track from the train station, under UHD, across White Oak and by the jail. Seems like a lot of work, no?

10 hours ago, SamHouston said:

If they decommissioned the Winter Street line, it seems like they would need to double track from the train station, under UHD, across White Oak and by the jail. Seems like a lot of work, no?

The train station/UHD portion will be decommissioned as well. The new bridge will connect the Center St line to Hardy Yards.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guessing this is the parking lot for 1818 Washington. Didn't see an update that indicated a structure right now so I assume a paved lot. 

Might also be getting cleared for construction staging. 

Edited by Visitor

1 hour ago, Visitor said:

Guessing this is the parking lot for 1818 Washington. Didn't see an update that indicated a structure right now so I assume a paved lot. 

Might also be getting cleared for construction staging. 

It would be a huge parking lot, the old parking lot next to B&B Butchers was also fenced off.

• 3 weeks later...

Limited funds are understandable, but boy oh boy is that going to be a mess to build a structure later. 

Not only the general construction, but the parking (with a torn up lot) will be non-existent.

It's rough right now and that's without the new retail of 1818

• Like 1

• The title was changed to 1818 Washington Ave. at Silver
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, crock said:

drove by the other day... the entire parking lot is concrete.   I had assumed it would be permeable, but nope....  how was this allowed? 

The new lot behind 1818 Washington? Didnt known they paved already.

5 hours ago, crock said:

drove by the other day... the entire parking lot is concrete.   I had assumed it would be permeable, but nope....  how was this allowed? 

As someone who is currently working on a parking lot project, its a lot more complicated then just throwing gravel on the ground. I like permeable parking lots, but really learned just how difficult it is to deal with parking in general, and what materials to use. I think we would see more parking lots turn to permeable surfaces if they didn't also have to provide detention (underground or above ground). The city, failing to take this responsibility upon themselves as its a city wide issue, instead decided to put this cost at the feet of developers/architects. Its the same with parking requirements. Another thing people don't know is that even though permeable materials might be permeable in of themselves, when it comes to calculating how much detention you need, ANYTHING and EVERYTHING is impervious even grass! The only upside is that permeable solutions mean you need less detention than concrete, but still need detention. When confronted with these options, and the lack of experience and laziness in implementation of permeable solutions, many will just turn to concrete. Basically, to answer your question...its complicated.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

A new rendering of the rooftop bar at Lovett Commercial's East Washington or 1818 Washington Avenue in Houston.

This is part of the Sawyer Yards development or Sawyer Yards District.

The rendering is from an updated marketing brochure.
https://www.lovettcommercial.com/Pdf.aspx?id=332 (archive link)

CxIccN3.jpg

This is NICE! We need more rooftops over looking our skyline!

Edited by Amlaham
Wrong placement of text
  • Like 4