Retail Development At 1818 Washington Ave. And Silver

Mab

12 hours ago, Texasota said:

Huh? So far it seems like a decent mix of tenants with a couple spaces left. 

I'm certainly looking forward to the Optimist. Punch Bowl Social and the rooftop bar could go either way - definitely worth a visit, but ultimately will depend on what kind of crowd they attract. 

I don't personally use salons, but there are plenty of people in my life who do, and Sola seems ...good maybe? I have no idea.

Are you questioning if I would visit the projected tenants?

I didn't say they were bad, I just said I likely wouldn't visit any of them.  I can still like the building right?

There are many places on Washington I have not visited and likely never will (lived in the area for 6+ yrs), doesn't make them all bad, just not for me.

• Like 1

It made me curious, only because there seemed to be decent variety in the planned tenants. If nothing else, I don't understand why you wouldn't want to at least give the Optimist a try - who doesn't like checking out a new restaurant?

But maybe you don't like seafood. Or bowling. Or (like me) visiting salons. Or, to be fair, the crowd at a lot of places on Washington. 

I don't really know why I want to know why you don't think you'd visit any of the proposed tenants, but for some reason I do. Maybe it's related to a useful conversation about how to develop and diversify the corridor. Maybe it's selfish curiosity for its own sake.

• Like 1

Fair points and I too myself am curious in general.  You are correct that the crowd whom Washington typically attracts is not for me, and I often find that these "elevated" social experience places like "Punch Bowl" don't offer great value relative to their cost.

The Optimist, maybe one day? But their concept isn't something I typically seek out. Also, I am of the opinion that any outside concept that comes to Houston is almost assuredly going to be a downgrade from the original. Case in point: Gus's across the street. I love Gus's and have eaten at locations in 5+ cities, and EVERY bad experience I have had has come from this Houston location. It is unspeakably disappointing that my favorite fried chicken joint finally comes to Houston, sets up <5min from me, and I can't even bring myself to try again.

Maybe I'm just jaded, who knows...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think you're underestimating just how massive that surface lot is. Even with these two buildings, it is absurdly huge. 

Now I know there's a difference b/w what this development actually needs and what the City will require, but it looks to me like there's plenty of parking even for the City's obscene requirements. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Retail Development at 1818 Washington Ave. and Silver
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Retail Development At 1818 Washington Ave. And Silver
  • 1 month later...
On 11/7/2019 at 12:30 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

An updated site plan was uploaded very recently to Lovett Commercial's website and included in an updated brochure.

https://www.lovettcommercial.com/properties/houston/1818-washington-ave- (archive link)

Brochure:
https://www.lovettcommercial.com/Pdf.aspx?id=332  (archive link)

The updated site plan has two new retail tenants:

• Punch Bowl Social  - a fancy bowling alley and restaurant (similar to Pinstripes and Bowl & Barrel)

Punch Bowl Social wiLiunitso stories and fronting Center St. The first floor is 5,000 SF. The second floor is 15, 000 SF and will be the location of the bowling lanes.

Level 1 Site Plan
TQpCEcu.jpg

Level 2 Site Plan
Lkjhvep.jpg

Roof Deck site plan
Y6oDgWJ.jpg

Punch Bowl is no longer coming to 1818 Washington.

Lovett is splitting the two story unit into several units.

One of the tenants to sign on is Berg Hospitality. The group led by Benjamin Berg operates B&B Butchers next door.

Berg Hospitality applied for a TABC permit listing a restaurant named Benny Chow at 1818 Washington Ave.

I have no clue about the concept or an opening timeframe.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

Wow, Rice Military, Sawyer Yards, and Downtown are all different neighborhoods yet they say it's in all three.  My guess is this is actually in Sawyer Yards (which some people seem to think is part of Rice Military).  Interesting that we are getting a Putt Shack in downtown and a Drive Shack from Puttery not far away, at about the same time.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Puttery, A New Entertainment Venue At 1818 Washington Ave

A two-story miniature golf and entertainment venue called Puttery is slated to come to Sawyer Yards in Houston's Old Sixth Ward area at 1818 Washington Ave., Houston.

Although few details have been released on the Houston location, an Aug. 9 press release indicates that it will feature an "adults-only scene with four nine-hole putting courses, multiple bars and rotating DJs."

A food menu will provide guests with an upscale menu and craft cocktails. The golf courses will be themed and equipped with state-of-the-art scoring technology, according to the release.

Puttery will be a project of Drive Shack Inc., whose portfolio also consists of other "competitive socializing" venues such as American Golf and Drive Shack. In addition to Houston, the company's newest concept is being launched in Dallas; Charlotte, North Carolina; Washington, D.C.; and Miami.

An opening timeline is still being determined, a company spokesperson said.

https://puttery.com

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/business/2021/08/16/business-roundup-upscale-minigolf-coming-to-old-sixth-ward-nettbar-coming-to-shady-acres/

• Like 6

this is definitely not in Sawyer Yards, Rice Military, Old Sixth Ward, or Downtown. lol. sigh.  "washington ave corridor" or maybe "6th ward"  

Has The Optimist backed out? i was realllly looking forward to that, but now that Tony Mandola's is opening a few blocks away I guess that might have changed? 

Edited by crock
added another Q about the area

PGA Champion Rory McIlroy Is Bringing A Miniature Golf Course To Houston

Featuring an adult-only scene with four nine-hole putting courses, multiple bars, and rotating DJs.

By Kelsy Armstrong August 19, 2021

HOUSTON’S SAWYER YARDS, one of Houston’s hottest arts and entertainment districts, is getting a new, adults-only place to playScheduled to open by the end of this year, Puttery, a new celebrity-backed miniature golf course, is coming to Houston. 

The golf course was developed by Dallas-based Drive Shack in partnership with two-time PGA Champion Rory McIlroy.

“Puttery is an immersive, unique, and one-of-a-kind entertainment golf experience – it is an exciting and logical partnership for me and my investment group,” McIlroy said in a statement. “I have been collaborating with the Drive Shack team for more than two years on Puttery and have remained engaged throughout its entire evolution.”

The golf course marks Puttery’s fifth outpost, joining other locations in Dallas, Charlotte, North Carolina, Washington D.C., and Miami. Drive Shack Inc. President and Chief Executive Officer Hana Khouri shares in a statement why bringing a location to the Houston area was great for the Drive Shack brand.

“Houston is one of the fastest-growing metro areas in the country, so it made perfect sense to bring this exciting new take on competitive socializing to one of the market’s most popular destinations,” she says. 

The two-story structure will span 23,000 square feet and will create a “competitive socializing and entertainment golf experience, ” featuring four nine-hole courses. The new location in Houston places a modern spin on putting by combining a lively, vibrant atmosphere with state-of-the-art auto-scoring technology and themed courses for an immersive guest experience.

“This isn’t your typical night at the mini-golf course. Puttery will offer Houstonians and visitors an experience unlike any other,” Khouri says.“We’re looking forward to bringing Puttery to the area and setting the tone for strategic and rapid growth ahead.”

Puttery is slated to open in Houston at the end of 2021 in Sawyer Yards. 

https://www.houstoniamag.com/news-and-city-life/2021/08/new-luxury-golf-course-sawyer-yards-houston

• Like 2

From the Sawyer Yards website.  They're calling this the South Yard.  I personally have thought of "Sawyer Yards" as what is depicted as the Main Yard, but they are clearly stretching the brand to all of their properties in the First Ward/Sixth Ward/Washington Ave Arts District etc...

web_map_2021.png

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, TrainTrak said:

From the Sawyer Yards website.  They're calling this the South Yard.  I personally have thought of "Sawyer Yards" as what is depicted as the Main Yard, but they are clearly stretching the brand to all of their properties in the First Ward/Sixth Ward/Washington Ave Arts District etc...

web_map_2021.png

Oh wow I like this! Wasn't this area designated by the state as an arts district so it receives special funding?

3 hours ago, hindesky said:

The two-story structure will span 23,000 square feet and will create a “competitive socializing and entertainment golf experience, ” featuring four nine-hole courses.

“Competitive socializing”? These marketing buzzwords and terms are getting out of hand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2021 at 2:56 PM, thedistrict84 said:

“Competitive socializing”? These marketing buzzwords and terms are getting out of hand.

Ahh so thats whats going on the football field when they are talking trash to one another....no its okay, thats just "competitive socializing" *facepalms*

On 10/18/2021 at 1:12 PM, Luminare said:

Ahh so thats whats going on the football field when they are talking trash to one another....no its okay, thats just "competitive socializing" *facepalms*

No, that's taunting in todays NFL and gets the offending team a 15 yd penalty.

Ti9ndPa.png

Edited by hindesky

• 2 months later...
On 10/12/2020 at 8:43 AM, Avossos said:

I can't wait to see this come alive with activity!

Also I am waiting for the front curb and sidewalk redo. I find it very important to have a good pedestrian and street presence. Currently the curb and sidewalk is a mess.

4 hours ago, TrainTrak said:

They recently finished up some sidewalk and curb improvements along Silver and Center.  Construction of the 2 buildings for Phase II currently planned to start in 2Q2022.

Just thought it was interesting how long this took (sidewalks)... I was waiting more than a year!

On 9/25/2020 at 11:41 AM, Avossos said:

image.png.9a8a212bbbcf0430549121b84d7e3e95.png

image.png.90e68576a6f1c2bde18c9ae2b020f3c9.png

Awesome! The quality of these developments are really nice. I hope they set the standard for the historic neighborhoods there. Perfect scale for the area.

Edited by Avossos
  • Like 5