Which Target Was Looted? I Have My Guess

saigon_2005

According to the news....

There were 16 arrests in Houston for looting, 8 of those at a Target. If I was a betting person I would say that Target was the one on South Main near the dome. Does anyone know which one was hit?

What if i told you it was the Target on San Felipe, by the Galleria. How much would you have bet then ? What would make you automatically assume it was the one by the Dome ?

According to the news....

There were 16 arrests in Houston for looting, 8 of those at a Target. If I was a betting person I would say that Target was the one on South Main near the dome. Does anyone know which one was hit?

Yes, I do know. You're way off.

Good thing you're not a betting person. Being a bigot isn't always the smartest policy.

Because it's in a neighborhood with a higher crime rate?

I would say that The Galleria has a higher than average crime rate, how many cars do you think get broken into around there. You got some guy that rapes women in broad daylight over there, and they still haven't caught him. <_< I'll care to wager that he was betting on the OST target, because of a larger population of, well, I'm not even going there. Ok, high crime rate it is. I had to edit this and thank BigTex for making my point.

According to the HPD captain that I was listening to on KPRC, NO looting had occurred, as that term is defined by police. The 16 burglars arrested was a higher number, due to more police on the streets. The actual number of burglaries was average for Houston.

But then, that kind of information wouldn't further your bigoted agenda, would it?

I shop in the South Main Super Target all the time. There are lots of very nice neighborhoods it serves, as well as some that aren't as nice. I've never, ever felt unsafe there. I actually enjoy shopping with the diverse population I see in that store.

Houston crime stats.

http://www.houstontx.gov/police/stats2.htm

There's nothing bigoted about predicting the probability of criminal activity by using historical statistics. Some neighborhoods (no matter what the race of it's citizens) have more crime than others. . . which leads me to conclude that the chances of being a crime victim in that neighborhood is greater.

We're talking about CRIME, let's leave RACE out of it. . . for example:

In which Houston neighborhood would you be more likely to catch a sleazy insider trader? Tanglewood, Memorial, Denver Harbor, or Eastwood?

There's nothing bigoted about predicting the probability of criminal activity by using historical statistics.

True. The bigotry comes from the insinuation and tone of the remarks made in the post. The poster was trying to make a point...and we all got his point. Some of us chose to make our point as well...we just chose to make our point obvious, in case the poster's ignorance matches his bigotry.

BTW, the only reliable report of a burglary of a discount store was at a WalMart on FM 1960...between Northgate Forest and Champions...and it was a group of 5 burglars working together. This is not commonly considered looting, but rather, a criminal enterprise.

Houston crime stats.

http://www.houstontx.gov/police/stats2.htm

There's nothing bigoted about predicting the probability of criminal activity by using historical statistics. Some neighborhoods (no matter what the race of it's citizens) have more crime than others. . . which leads me to conclude that the chances of being a crime victim in that neighborhood is greater.

We're talking about CRIME, let's leave RACE out of it. . . for example:

In which Houston neighborhood would you be more likely to catch a sleazy insider trader? Tanglewood, Memorial, Denver Harbor, or Eastwood?

You can close your eyes all you want to what saigon's post was trying to lean toward. The guy can't even get the right store, but if he had known it was a Wal-Mart, do you think he would have said the one on Fannin and 610 , by the Dome ? I'll "bet" he would have. I'm sure he researched the annual crime report database before making his assumption also, just like you. Good work detective. :blink:

You can close your eyes all you want to what saigon's post was trying to lean toward. The guy can't even get the right store, but if he had known it was a Wal-Mart, do you think he would have said the one on Fannin and 610 , by the Dome ? I'll "bet" he would have. I'm sure he researched the annual crime report database before making his assumption also, just like you. Good work detective. :blink:

If some people on this board had their way, there would be no Blacks and Mexicans in the city.

I didn't see enough in Saigon's post to accuse him of bigotry. This is a pretty serious accusation to make, and should only be made when the proof is in.

America really hasn't changed much in 300 years. We live in an era that is Puritanical about issues of political correctness. Accusing people of racism is our modern day witch-trial.

If some people on this board had their way, there would be no Blacks and Mexicans in the city.

Well, I'm not the most PC guy in the world, and I am not Black or Hispanic. I'm just a not so average Conservative Whiteboy.That's right boys and girls, I'm a Republican. I get moody, and when I see a blatant display of someone trying to be a smartguy, and pull that kind of junk, it just pisses me off. NO reason for that kind of mess on these boards. It seems everyone I've seen post on here seem to be decent folk. A few bad apples though, you know how it goes. :rolleyes: i am over it though, "moving along, nothing to see here people."

I didn't see enough in Saigon's post to accuse him of bigotry. This is a pretty serious accusation to make, and should only be made when the proof is in.

America really hasn't changed much in 300 years. We live in an era that is Puritanical about issues of political correctness. Accusing people of racism is our modern day witch-trial.

It's become like the book 1984; hate is love, peace is war, intolerance is tolerance. According to this definition of bigot; A bigot is a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from their own. It would look like the ones accusing someone who assumes poor, black neighborhoods are, in general, more crime-prone fit the definition of a bigot more than the accused. Some of our "liberal" friends who have bought into the "tolerant" philosophy are escaping the truth and need a good cup of "wake the .... up".

While there are plenty of middle and upper-class black people who are not likely to commit crimes, the rest that are are dragging down the entire group. Of the 15 most dangerous cities in America list, according to this article, 12 have majority black populations. I don't have time to find the source of the author's statement right now. If this is not true, someone please point it out so we can cease with these stereotypes. If a white person points this out, some will call him racist. If a black person says the same thing, they might be called realist, enlightened, or something else along those lines. The truth can set you free and sometimes make you sick.

>>> If I was a betting person I would say that Target was the one on South Main near the dome.

And the reason being is that I have heard more bs and sob stories by people panhandling at that store than on the San Felipe location. I cannot even go to my car without being hit up for money. But your mileage may vary. I go to the San Felipe location now and all is well. Why does everyone try to bring the racial element into this. I don't see anything in my post that insinuates race.

For those that have worked in the dome area you will recognize the great improvements over the past years. Crime was and is to a lesser extent an issue at the dome area. I am not aware of all the Targets in the Houston area, but I do know if HPD is posting the stats then is must be in the city of Houston. Now I am hearing Wal-Mart. I know of only three Walmarts in the city. Meyerland and Westheimer@Dunvale. If someone wants to waste their time weaving a vast conspiracy theory by attempting to read between the lines be my guest. You will be wasting your time.

>>> If I was a betting person I would say that Target was the one on South Main near the dome.

And the reason being is that I have heard more bs and sob stories by people panhandling at that store than on the San Felipe location. I cannot even go to my car without being hit up for money. But your mileage may vary. I go to the San Felipe location now and all is well. Why does everyone try to bring the racial element into this. I don't see anything in my post that insinuates race.

For those that have worked in the dome area you will recognize the great improvements over the past years. Crime was and is to a lesser extent an issue at the dome area. I am not aware of all the Targets in the Houston area, but I do know if HPD is posting the stats then is must be in the city of Houston. Now I am hearing Wal-Mart. I know of only three Walmarts in the city. Meyerland and Westheimer@Dunvale. If someone wants to waste their time weaving a vast conspiracy theory by attempting to read between the lines be my guest. You will be wasting your time.

3 juveniles suspected

Still, the threat of looting was on some people's minds.

"I heard Target on South Main was looted," Jim Snow, a southwest Houston homeowner, said Saturday. "That's not the way things go in Texas. They don't do that."

Three juveniles, including an 8-year-old girl, are accused of breaking into the SuperTarget and attempting to steal $1,200 worth of computer games and electronics, said McDuell. The juvenile suspects told police they were Katrina evacuees from New Orleans and were staying in a nearby motel in the Astrodome area.

There also was an attempted burglary at the Wal-Mart at 3450 FM 1960 West, according to the Harris County Sheriff's Office. The suspects were from Houston.

The above is from the Sunday Chronicle.

• The title was changed to Which Target Was Looted? I Have My Guess

Archived