Sign in to follow this  
hindesky

Renovations at Lamar High School

The new Lamar HS building: 

http://blogs.houstonisd.org/news/2016/05/12/lamar-hs-construction-plans-focus-on-facilitating-new-instructional-model/

The plan is to keep the Art Deco north building, build a new 5-story building on the east side of campus, and then tear the east and west buildings along with the natatorium down to clear the way for athletic fields.

• Like 4

As they say, River Oaks Boulevard has two country clubs, and St. John's in fact isn't country club #2 :)

• Like 1

Seems like the "neighborhoods" of 200 students all basically working in what amounts to a cubicle farm really seems like it could limit specialized elective classes or the slight variations in where everyone should be in terms of math and social studies (or whatever). I'd be willing to bet that said "cubicle farms" could remodel back into regular classrooms if the project is a disaster.

• Like 2

Not sure where I got the swimming pool idea from.. Don't see anything mentioned about it?

MPiEHDc.jpg

uNa43yl.jpg

v0YycAK.jpg

Did I read this project was in the area of $100 million? Yeah, here is the HISD info

As part of HISD’s current bond program, Lamar will receive a new $108 million facility that preserves the architecturally significant building structure and will accommodate up to 3,100 students. The existing main building with the well-known art deco facade, which faces Westheimer, will remain the main entrance to the facility. It will also house the existing auditorium, an alumni center, a child care facility for faculty and staff, and the performing arts area on the east end of the building

http://blogs.houstonisd.org/news/2016/05/12/lamar-hs-construction-plans-focus-on-facilitating-new-instructional-model/

From today. So nice to see weather after days of rain.  Notice The Revere at River Oaks' tower crane.

aSbtMdc.jpg

So what is up with the concrete structure-ish addition? Looks like a parking garage but this is a high school.

Need to get a photo to add to this..

4 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

So what is up with the concrete structure-ish addition? Looks like a parking garage but this is a high school.

Yes, it's a parking garage.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

Don't underestimate the number of high school students who have cars, especially in the area Lamar is located in. It wouldn't be the first HS with a parking garage - St. Thomas HS has had one for a number of years now. 

On 11/22/2018 at 11:02 PM, Houston19514 said:

Yes, it's a parking garage.  

Thanks!

Here's a progress pic from earlier in the week

xmIb2Hh.jpg

wow its looking really good...i am sorry if i missed it in a previous post but will they be renovating the old building or keeping as is etc?

Posted (edited)

Construction Photos from HISD's website. They are probably further along from when these photos were taken, but they are vantage points that we don't have access too.

https://www.houstonisd.org/Page/71992#

gCqtZXs.jpg

KLbRcwO.jpg

thrtVrF.jpg

7G3hhpw.jpg

...and yes I had to take screenshots. While I've actually been pretty impressed with how thorough and organized HISD's projects are, the images you can download are tiny.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 3

Are they doing any renovations to the old building? Anyone know? 

25 minutes ago, gene said:

Are they doing any renovations to the old building? Anyone know? 

Yes.

• Like 1

I am excited for these kids to have something so nice! It has been warranted for quite awhile! 

• Like 1