Navigation Place: Retail Center At 2929 Navigation Blvd.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

https://retailtxok.cbre.us/property/navigation-place/

It appears they already have some tenants signed up:

- Corky's BBQ

- Allegiance Bank

with 2 spots to fill.

Building materials also appear to be downgraded from the original images floating around.

Unexciting nonetheless; comes across as kind of a wasted opportunity considering that the EADO Navigation (Marquette) just up the Street on Navigation / Jensen is being built on a similarly sized / shaped lot. Seems like something similar to that would be well suited at this spot.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, LS27 said:

https://retailtxok.cbre.us/property/navigation-place/

It appears they already have some tenants signed up:

- Corky's BBQ

- Allegiance Bank

with 2 spots to fill.

Building materials also appear to be downgraded from the original images floating around.

Unexciting nonetheless; comes across as kind of a wasted opportunity considering that the EADO Navigation (Marquette) just up the Street on Navigation / Jensen is being built on a similarly sized / shaped lot. Seems like something similar to that would be well suited at this spot.

Thanks for sharing the CBRE link/brochure. I couldn’t find that for whatever reason (I was searching by address instead of development name).

The difference between the building materials portrayed between the two renderings is staggering. Sure, you expect the initial one to be extra flashy and appealing to draw in tenants, but damn. . . that looks to be a huge drop off in quality/appearance.

Very disappointing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2019 at 8:52 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Updated listing for Navigation Place at 2929 Navigation Blvd in Second Ward.

https://retailtxok.cbre.us/property/navigation-place/ (archive link)

Updated marketing brochure for Navigation Place at 2929 Navigation Blvd in Second Ward.

https://retailtxok.cbre.us/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Navigation-Place-Brochure-011919.pdf  (archive link)

From the brochure:

Adjacent to the Original Ninfas on Navigation and El Tiempo, two of Houston’s favorites, Navigation Place will provide additional restaurant options and service retailers to its surrounding neighbors.

Positively located, Navigation Place along with new developments such as Pinto East End Perry Homes and Midway’s Mixed-Use project, East River, are helping to transition the neighborhood and attract more young professionals and couples starting families.  

±6,366 SF shell space building available for build-out 

Prime location in EADO, less than a mile from Downtown Houston, across from Ninfa’s and El Tiempo 

Close proximity to Midway’s proposed 150-acre mixed-use development, East River 

± 3,000 SF available for restaurant opportunity

Site plan

vGK5QQ8.jpg
(direct link to non-compressed, full-sized image: https://i.imgur.com/vGK5QQ8.jpg )

Damn that’s an ugly development smh 🤦‍♂️ Espeically since the other businesses along Navigation have a more walkable presence. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Damn that’s an ugly development smh 🤦‍♂️ Espeically since the other businesses along the Navigation have a more walkable presence. 

Agreed. It would at least be a bit better with parking in the back. The main building has a very suburban strip center feel. Ugh.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, nate4l1f3 said:

This is probably what pisses me off about Houston more than anything. Smh. Smh. 

I never understand the full logistics but the city can say no right? Or they can at least tell the developer, you need to change X, Y, and Z before we approve this, am I right?

32 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I never understand the full logistics but the city can say no right? Or they can at least tell the developer, you need to change X, Y, and Z before we approve this, am I right?

There are way more people who can answer that question on here than me brother.  I would guess if the development fits in whatever parameters the city sets for certain developments then it’s a go. The problem would be with the City and their standards IMO.  Which is why people on here push to eliminate minimum parking requirements etc. 

Edited by nate4l1f3

3 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

not really.

the city is going to check for setbacks, and parking requirements, not just do you have enough spaces, but do you have enough room for cars to maneuver. that's about it when considering the size of the building, and where it is situated on the property.

considering building setback requirements it makes most efficient use of the land to put parking in front of a building. 

so, if you want to play a game, take the buildings they have, move them around on their site (taking into consideration building setbacks), and see if you can maintain the same number of entrances/exits, and also maintain the number of parking spaces. I bet you can't.

If we wanted to, the city could pass an ordinance requiring developments in "walk-able or high interest corridors" to have the building at the street and the parking in the back.  Of course defining the walk-able corridor would be a different issue altogether

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I don’t understand how the hell they didn’t place parking in the back when they are right along the Esplanade. Absolutely ridiculous. This might be the worst development in this area. 

I’m sure the arrangement in the site plan allowed for the highest number of parking spaces possible, in order to meet the minimum parking requirements. Doing away with those minimums would eliminate that incentive for sub-optimal parking (from a walkability/pedestrian friendly standpoint) and encourage development at the sidewalks.

On 6/22/2019 at 6:41 AM, thedistrict84 said:

I’m sure the arrangement in the site plan allowed for the highest number of parking spaces possible, in order to meet the minimum parking requirements. Doing away with those minimums would eliminate that incentive for sub-optimal parking (from a walkability/pedestrian friendly standpoint) and encourage development at the sidewalks.

I can’t argue the minimum parking required for the site. My issue is it’s placement and the lack of thought from the developers on where to put it considering they are right along an area geared towards walkability.

12 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I can’t argue the minimum parking required for the site. My issue is it’s placement and the lack of thought from the developers on where to put it considering they are right along an area geared towards walkability.

I agree. My point was that the layout was dictated by the required parking. Current arrangement, you have one lane with two opposite rows of parking in the front, and one lane with one row against the building in the back. Even if you just switch the lanes to have the single row in the front, you’re likely to lose some parking on the side along with the placement of the patio.

It would be impossible to move all of the parking to the back and still keep anywhere near the same number of parking spots, which I would guess would be the difference between meeting the minimum parking requirements and not.

4 hours ago, thedistrict84 said:

I agree. My point was that the layout was dictated by the required parking. Current arrangement, you have one lane with two opposite rows of parking in the front, and one lane with one row against the building in the back. Even if you just switch the lanes to have the single row in the front, you’re likely to lose some parking on the side along with the placement of the patio.

It would be impossible to move all of the parking to the back and still keep anywhere near the same number of parking spots, which I would guess would be the difference between meeting the minimum parking requirements and not.

Ahh got ya. So is this a city ordinance thing? 

1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Ahh got ya. So is this a city ordinance thing? 

Yes, there are a minimum number of parking spaces required to be provided for different property types, tied to the square footage of the building. Exemptions can be requested, and there are other ways to meet the requirements (offsite parking/valet lots, bicycle racks, etc.). 

https://www.houstontx.gov/planning/DevelopRegs/docs_pdfs/parking_req.pdf

There is a current effort to eliminate minimum parking requirements for Midtown and part of EaDo, but this property in the East End would not have been included in that area, despite its proximity to downtown.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thedistrict84 said:

Yes, there are a minimum number of parking spaces required to be provided for different property types, tied to the square footage of the building. Exemptions can be requested, and there are other ways to meet the requirements (offsite parking/valet lots, bicycle racks, etc.). 

https://www.houstontx.gov/planning/DevelopRegs/docs_pdfs/parking_req.pdf

There is a current effort to eliminate minimum parking requirements for Midtown and part of EaDo, but this property in the East End would not have been included in that area, despite its proximity to downtown.

I think this should be included to any property that fronts LRT, and BRT outside CBD, and the proposed extention of this into Midtown and EaDo. Either an elimination of the requirement or 1/2 the requirement. That would be a great incentive for developers to build next to transit.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...