Navigation Place: Retail Center At 2929 Navigation Blvd.

4 hours ago, ljchou said:

New business permit for the cajun restaurant as "Acadian Coast".

I wonder if it’s related to the Acadian Bakery on W. Alabama? They’re known for their Mardi Gras king cake, so I assume that a Cajun restaurant would be a logical extension.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 8:58 AM, EastEndHeritage said:

Well, it is going to be more than just average strip center. It is at least anchored by a bank, which over time should bring people to the strip on the daily basis.

It is just a matter of preference. I am not a big fan of Cajun food and I believe it is the same for a lot of the legacy neighbors in Second Ward. See what happened to Cajun Town Café. Maybe Cajun can do better in Third or Fifth Ward. A real Texas BBQ restaurant would be nice (Porky's was not real Texas BBQ). An Asian restaurant would also be nice. Italian?

It is my understanding more Mexican restaurants are not allowed in that part of Navigation, but even then a variation of Mexican casual can be nice in that area. Something cheaper and faster such as Tostada Regia or Arandas (or I dare to say Chipotle) would be nice for a quick pickup order. Ninfa's is too expensive for the "I don't feel like cooking today" type of order and our household is morally opposed to spend our hard earned money at El Tiempo on Navigation. Villa Arcos has been closed for months now and the hours are super limited even before Covid. Dona Maria has the same issue, weird hours and too small to sit comfortably.

Anyways, I hope at least this new place has decent happy hour specials. We shall see.

Why would more Mexican restaurants not be allowed? Is there a secret ordinance that controls how many of what type establishments are allowed in an area? Is there an organized crime syndicate forcing newcomers out?

23 minutes ago, Texasota said:

I mean maybe, but "Acadian" just refers to French settlers in North America (Canada initially) - "Cajun" probably derives from "Acadian."

Cajun is a contraction of Acadian.

Acadia was a colony of New France... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadia

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/24/2020 at 4:09 PM, thedistrict84 said:

I wonder if it’s related to the Acadian Bakery on W. Alabama? They’re known for their Mardi Gras king cake, so I assume that a Cajun restaurant would be a logical extension.

https://houston.eater.com/2020/7/29/21346717/acadian-bakery-houston-montrose-closed-after-40-years

Probably not. Or may super yes (close bakery on W. Alabama, open new shop)!

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, JBTX said:

https://houston.eater.com/2020/7/29/21346717/acadian-bakery-houston-montrose-closed-after-40-years

Probably not. Or may super yes (close bakery on W. Alabama, open new shop)!

I live just around the corner from them and they have had a lot construction workers and a roll-off construction trash bin for the last several of days.

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, JBTX said:

Corky's and Acadian Coast may have common ownership. If so, good call on at least rebranding to something more regional.

https://houston.eater.com/2020/8/12/21363650/corkys-bbq-opening-houston-navigation-memphis-style-barbecue-acadian-coast

Honestly this kills my interest in this project. Hopefully it's good but I looked up Squealing Pig and the outlook isn't great. 

https://www.memphisdailynews.com/news/2018/feb/14/corkys-bbq-expanding-headed-to-houston-and-dallas//print

One of the owners of this group also runs several Panera Bread and Applebee's franchises. This isn't what I wanted from this location but hopefully they do well. The other owner of the group doesn't seem to have any other information available. I'm cautiously pessimistic on this one. 

• Like 3

I appreciate that they acknowledged the underwhelming performance of Corky's in Houston and pivoted. I think this is only a step up from what we could've had and I can't help but look forward to pairing some of this “hybrid of traditional gumbo and chicken and dumplings” with a full bar. Let's hope their rebranding is to our benefit.

• Like 1

Fried Chicken and Beignet sounds interesting. I'm curious about their brunch menu. While we have an abundance of pick up/quick dine in breakfast options, it would be nice to have more brunch focused menus in the area. 

I'll for sure check it out even though majority of the menu already makes my skin crawl. Oysters and Elk, washed down with a super sugary alcoholic beverage please 🤢

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

Honestly this kills my interest in this project. Hopefully it's good but I looked up Squealing Pig and the outlook isn't great. 

https://www.memphisdailynews.com/news/2018/feb/14/corkys-bbq-expanding-headed-to-houston-and-dallas//print

One of the owners of this group also runs several Panera Bread and Applebee's franchises. This isn't what I wanted from this location but hopefully they do well. The other owner of the group doesn't seem to have any other information available. I'm cautiously pessimistic on this one. 

The new information including Avila being involved make me much more excited for this. The original story made it seem like the franchisees were just going to pivot and open a new restaurant concept.  This is what I wanted in the area. I jumped to conclusion but the original article was barren. 

• Like 2

Interesting that Avila will be involved. I wonder if he will put Pizza Pazza (on the Navigation Esplanade) on hold. If i recall the original permits I saw on the container building were in his/El Burro's name.

16 minutes ago, ljchou said:

...but where is this "expansive patio" with room for a stage...?

In the back, maybe? Come to think of it, I've never walked the back half.

• Like 1

Just now, linearmovement said:

Beat me to the punch by a few microseconds. 😄 I am definitely more excited about this than the other restaurant. The only victim is going to be my bank account.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...