Navigation Place: Retail Center At 2929 Navigation Blvd.

41 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

In a dull Strip Center? ;)

Well, it is going to be more than just average strip center. It is at least anchored by a bank, which over time should bring people to the strip on the daily basis.

It is just a matter of preference. I am not a big fan of Cajun food and I believe it is the same for a lot of the legacy neighbors in Second Ward. See what happened to Cajun Town Café. Maybe Cajun can do better in Third or Fifth Ward. A real Texas BBQ restaurant would be nice (Porky's was not real Texas BBQ). An Asian restaurant would also be nice. Italian?

It is my understanding more Mexican restaurants are not allowed in that part of Navigation, but even then a variation of Mexican casual can be nice in that area. Something cheaper and faster such as Tostada Regia or Arandas (or I dare to say Chipotle) would be nice for a quick pickup order. Ninfa's is too expensive for the "I don't feel like cooking today" type of order and our household is morally opposed to spend our hard earned money at El Tiempo on Navigation. Villa Arcos has been closed for months now and the hours are super limited even before Covid. Dona Maria has the same issue, weird hours and too small to sit comfortably.

Anyways, I hope at least this new place has decent happy hour specials. We shall see.

Edited by EastEndHeritage

"I am not a big fan of Cajun food and I believe it is the same for a lot of the legacy neighbors in Second Ward. See what happened to Cajun Town Café. Maybe Cajun can do better in Third or Fifth Ward."

Hmmm. I don't like anything about these sentences. 

13 minutes ago, Texasota said:

"I am not a big fan of Cajun food and I believe it is the same for a lot of the legacy neighbors in Second Ward. See what happened to Cajun Town Café. Maybe Cajun can do better in Third or Fifth Ward."

Hmmm. I don't like anything about these sentences. 

You might not like anything about those sentences, but it doesn't make it any more likely for a Cajun restaurant to succeed. Just being honest.

You know what else wont succeed here... any of those pretentious restaurants from the Heights. Do you like anything about this sentence, Mr. Sentence Inspector?

For the same reason there is very little, if any, Mexican on any other Latin cuisine restaurants in the West University/Greenway area. The clientele is not there. Also, hardly any Mexican/Italian/Asian restaurants on Fifth Wards. I wonder why. You can spin it anyway you want, but it does not changes the fact. You cannot shove something on people's mouth if they don't like it or can't afford it.

I really enjoyed Andes Cafe, but every time I went it was empty. Why? Too expensive and not many Ecuadorians around the hood. Therefore, it failed. @Texasota, it looks like you are determined to play to some kind of victimization. That is up to you if that is what you are into.

I just want a restaurant that will last in the neighborhood and not end up like Cajun Town, which was struggling way before Covid. But hey, what do I know. It is not like I live in the neighborhood or something. Oh wait.

Edited by EastEndHeritage

6 minutes ago, Texasota said:

Wellp, thanks for the confirmation. It's good to know *exactly* where you stand.

Please explain to me why any other places you seem to be concerned about do not have diversified cuisines. Do we know *exactly* where Fifth and Third Ward stand? Or this game only played in a one-way street?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EastEndHeritage said:

I really enjoyed Andes Cafe, but every time I went it was empty. Why? Too expensive and not many Ecuadorians around the hood. Therefore, it failed. @Texasota, it looks like you are determined to play to some kind of victimization. That is up to you if that is what you are into.

Just to steer this more back onto subject...Andes lasted a very long time for a restaurant of its style. 7 years, with the last 2 or 3 without their head chef as he was out exploring projects is pretty impressive. It was the construction at 2404 that finally killed them.

Plus, they were always full on Sundays. Very popular with the fresa crowd too.

• Like 1

This is almost certainly a bad idea, but...

Third and Fifth Ward are food deserts. Fifth Ward in particular just doesn't have much in the way of restaurant options *period*, probably because income levels in the neighborhood just aren't high enough to support much in the way of restaurants. There are absolutely Mexican places (taquerias and taco trucks if nothing else). Third Ward has a bit more variety, but also just doesn't have the *quantity* of our more restaurant heavy neighborhoods. As for Italian food specifically: Houston is not an Italian food heavy city. There are a couple of decent places, but generally they're few and far between.

As for Greenway/West U: you're just wrong. There are plenty of Mexican options in the area. Rustika Cafe is a particularly notable option, but there are others as well. Oh, and you know what else? Cajun food! 

What I really want to know is: why would Cajun food do better in Third or Fifth Ward? I want you to spell it out, so there's no confusion. 

4 hours ago, EastEndHeritage said:

It is my understanding more Mexican restaurants are not allowed in that part of Navigation, but even then a variation of Mexican casual can be nice in that area. Something cheaper and faster such as Tostada Regia or Arandas (or I dare to say Chipotle) would be nice for a quick pickup order. Ninfa's is too expensive for the "I don't feel like cooking today" type of order and our household is morally opposed to spend our hard earned money at El Tiempo on Navigation. Villa Arcos has been closed for months now and the hours are super limited even before Covid. Dona Maria has the same issue, weird hours and too small to sit comfortably.

What about Merida? Haven't been there in some time, but most of the folks I know that live in the area used to be more likely to go to Merida than Ninfa's when they were in the mood for Mexican/Tex-Mex. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, mkultra25 said:

What about Merida? Haven't been there in some time, but most of the folks I know that live in the area used to be more likely to go to Merida than Ninfa's when they were in the mood for Mexican/Tex-Mex. 

Merida is the Navigation champ. Hands down, not even close. Though, more Mex than Tex-Mex. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mkultra25 said:

I concur with your opinion. Too bad the Mrs. disagrees. She got a bad plate of chilaquiles and has not let it go since then. I might have to start sneaking out more often to have some Merida's once Covid is over.

I'm just curious as to what exactly Cajun Coast is. 

Is it a new concept from another restaurant/ chef? 

Is it an alias for a company who doesn't want people to know that they are coming to this location quite yet?

One thing is for certain. I cannot find another Cajun Coast restaurant anywhere. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The bank side of the building continues to move along and it looks ready to open soon. ATM is installed, drive-thru seems completed, and signage is done.

Also, landscaping is done around the entire complex. Work is still being done inside the restaurant but appears to be months away from opening. 

A5F39E03-D9B7-408D-AFE1-88FFDFFABC6B.jpeg

797E5E4F-B1B7-4454-9C97-AC4C94B62079.jpeg

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, EastEndHeritage said:

Work is still being done inside the restaurant but appears to be months away from opening.

I was walking the dog by the building earlier and noticed they took out the front facing windows on the restaurant side.Thought that was pretty odd.

5 minutes ago, JBTX said:

I was walking the dog by the building earlier and noticed they took out the front facing windows on the restaurant side.Thought that was pretty odd.

I might be wrong, but I think they are some kind of nice looking shutter windows. They are usually rolled up during the day and come down at night.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Naviguessor said:

Yes, they’re garage-door type windows. It looks to me as though there will be a bar there with indoor and outdoor counter seating. Nice!  

That's some good COVID adaptability.

• Like 4

Hello My Fellow East End Community: 

We're in final negotiations on potentially bringing "Freshness in bowl" to this shopping plaza. The place will provide top notch customer service along with fresh and healthy food options for our little community. There will be something for the entire family, with the ability to create your own custom bowl/ burrito by selecting from tons of yummy options (Raw and cooked) or choose from one of our signature bowls, appetizers or desserts. Just wait until you try one of our 8 homemade signatures sauces/drizzle for a added flavor explosion! I guarantee you'll be addicted!!

Questions? From the pictures provided and little description; would this little eatery be well received in our area? Could you see yourself giving us a try?

Once finalized; we will provide links to our website, Instagram for you to follow for updates and information related to our grand opening. Thank you for your time and feedback.  

PD-Image 1.JPG

PD-Image 2.JPG

PD-Image 3.JPG

PD-Image 4.JPG

PD-Image 5.JPG

• Like 7

Not the biggest Poke fan, but the area desperately needs more variety of food. For that reason alone, I would go.

I can't vouch for everyone in my subdivision, but the 14 of us here are always looking for more variety. I'd guess they would all be going too. At least once 😃

Edited by JBTX
  • Like 1

Great! Thank you all for your feedback. 

My team and I are definitely experienced in the industry and finally getting courage to bring a location to our community despite Covid-19 challenges. As a native Houstonian and East End resident , I'm hoping our concept will be well received and truly wanted in our area. 

Edited by Gilbert927
  • Like 7