Navigation Place: Retail Center At 2929 Navigation Blvd.

23 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I hate this development. I was trying to stay positive but I hate it. 

I’ll take Chipotle over anything named Corky’s any day. 

With all the other options in a 2 block radius, I don't think i would ever eat at that chipotle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, downtownian said:

With all the other options in a 2 block radius, I don't think i would ever eat at that chipotle.

I would definitely eat at Chiptole, Free Birds, Taco Deli or Torchys if they came here. Fast casual has its place even surrounded by some of the best options in Houston. Those in EADO and the East End really  have to travel to Midtown or Montrose to get any of these "healthier" fast food options. As the population continues to increase on the East of 59, the more need for places like this will rise. This particular strip in Navigation is completely lacking in everything except Mexican food, I would also love to see an even healthier option like a Sweet Green or a Nekter (I imagine a national chain will move in this spot). 

I know these places wouldn't bring people in who live outside of the neighborhood because they are most likely already in their neighborhood, but there aren't a lot of these common options in the neighborhood that aren't pure fast food in the area east of 59. 

Edited by I'm Not a Robot

6 hours ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

I would definitely eat at Chiptole, Free Birds, Taco Deli or Torchys if they came here. Fast casual has its place even surrounded by some of the best options in Houston. Those in EADO and the East End really  have to travel to Midtown or Montrose to get any of these "healthier" fast food options. As the population continues to increase on the East of 59, the more need for places like this will rise. This particular strip in Navigation is completely lacking in everything except Mexican food, I would also love to see an even healthier option like a Sweet Green or a Nekter (I imagine a national chain will move in this spot). 

I know these places wouldn't bring people in who live outside of the neighborhood because they are most likely already in their neighborhood, but there aren't a lot of these common options in the neighborhood that aren't pure fast food in the area east of 59. 

Salata, Muscle Maker, and a Vietnamese place would earn a lot of income from me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Montrose1100 said:

Salata, Muscle Maker, and a Vietnamese place would earn a lot of income from me.

Vietnamese would be ideal, especially after losing VNwich at the Shops on Navigation before it even opened...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JBTX said:

Vietnamese would be ideal, especially after losing VNwich at the Shops on Navigation before it even opened...

Agreed and I would love a Bahn Mi shop here but I think you have to look more at national chains versus local for this development though. I'm not familiar with any bigger Vietnamese chains but maybe you could convince smaller chains like Pho Binh or Les Givral's to open a shop here. So maybe something like Jinya Ramen would find this location to be fitting, they opened in a shopping center further north, although I would much prefer a Tatsuya spin-off to find it's footing in the East End. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

Agreed and I would love a Bahn Mi shop here but I think you have to look more at national chains versus local for this development though.

Oh, I totally agree that, based on the location, it's most likely to be a national chain. But we'll see. Hoping for the best.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JBTX said:

I love Vietnamese, but we've already got Huynh and TH; I'd love some Thai, Ramen, or even decent takeout Chinese (China 101, despite the somehow great reviews was pretty inedible).

On 5/26/2020 at 10:13 AM, I'm Not a Robot said:

I would definitely eat at Chiptole, Free Birds, Taco Deli or Torchys if they came here.

This particular strip in Navigation is completely lacking in everything except Mexican food

All of those options you mentioned are generally similar to Tex-Mex and it’s derivatives. We need more diverse food options in this area beyond any of those.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ljchou said:

Have we confirmed this isn't a Corky's? I'm surprised at all of the speculation when it seems like there's been no indication of change of tenant.

I think there's a little bit of speculation and a lot bit of hoping it turns out to be something better (or at least more interesting) than Corky's.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 12:51 PM, linearmovement said:

I love Vietnamese, but we've already got Huynh and TH; I'd love some Thai, Ramen, or even decent takeout Chinese (China 101, despite the somehow great reviews was pretty inedible).

if you're looking for authentic Thai, you've got the best Thai restaurant in Houston, sure you have to go all the way down to Lockwood and Leeland, but it's still in the East End, and it really is very good.

https://goo.gl/maps/dLxueyTtQd8Ug3oL7

I'm not aware of a good Chinese restaurant in the area.

32 minutes ago, samagon said:

if you're looking for authentic Thai, you've got the best Thai restaurant in Houston, sure you have to go all the way down to Lockwood and Leeland, but it's still in the East End, and it really is very good.

https://goo.gl/maps/dLxueyTtQd8Ug3oL7

I'm not aware of a good Chinese restaurant in the area.

Any recommendations for dishes at Kanomwan? I've been (admittedly only once) and it was underwhelming, but could have been an off night or maybe I ordered the wrong dish. I'm definitely willing to give it another shot.

6 hours ago, linearmovement said:

Any recommendations for dishes at Kanomwan? I've been (admittedly only once) and it was underwhelming, but could have been an off night or maybe I ordered the wrong dish. I'm definitely willing to give it another shot.

For soup, Tom Ka Gai. For an entree, chicken Gang Ped, chicken Pad Panang, and Pad Woon Sen are all excellent. Gang Ped and Pad Panang are quite spicy, Pad Woon Sen not at all. We usually order a Gang Ped or a Pad Panang and a Pad Woon Sen and split them. It's plenty for two people.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2020 at 8:47 AM, ljchou said:

Have we confirmed this isn't a Corky's? I'm surprised at all of the speculation when it seems like there's been no indication of change of tenant.

I stopped by and talked to a construction worker. Unfortunately, he did not know what restaurant is going up, but mentioned most of the construction work inside is wrapping up within the next few days and that the place will have a bar. 😒

1 hour ago, EastEndHeritage said:

I stopped by and talked to a construction worker. Unfortunately, he did not know what restaurant is going up, but mentioned most of the construction work inside is wrapping up within the next few days and that the place will have a bar. 😒

Great now we’re going to have drunks speeding down the Esplanade or even crashing in to it. I hope I’m wrong. 

12 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Great now we’re going to have drunks speeding down the Esplanade or even crashing in to it. I hope I’m wrong. 

Ninfas and Tiempo both have a bar and  Moon Tower is essentially a bar and it's just one street over, so while it's reasonable to expect the worst, there are places with bars right there. 

edit: Corky's in Cypress according a quick google search has / had? a bar. I'm sure it's still Corky's and our hopes and dreams will be destroyed soon. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

Ninfas and Tiempo both have a bar and  Moon Tower is essentially a bar and it's just one street over, so while it's reasonable to expect the worst, there are places with bars right there. 

edit: Corky's in Cypress according a quick google search has / had? a bar. I'm sure it's still Corky's and our hopes and dreams will be destroyed soon. 

Yeah they have a bar but they aren't a bar, so the likelihood of people driving from those establishments drunk isn't as likely as a place dedicated to drinking.

17 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Yeah they have a bar but they aren't a bar, so the likelihood of people driving from those establishments drunk isn't as likely as a place dedicated to drinking.

Have you had the Margaritas at Ninfas? I don't feel right driving home after only drinking one.

I understand your concern but a drunk driver can crash into anything, anywhere. Like that warehouse on Hirsch.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

The original post that you responded to is saying that the restaurant being built will have a bar, not that it is a bar. 

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 10:21 AM, JBTX said:

Cajun Town just closed, so, maybe they are just moving?

I wouldn't expect that. He posted in response to a social media post that COVID got them. 

There aren't many national chains that are Cajun, so maybe a Ragin Cajun, who recently closed another location, or BB's make sense in this spot. Either would be fine for me as I would love a place to consistently be able to get crawfish. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Construction fence is down around the restaurant pad site. Checked the permit in the window and it lists “Cajun Coast” as the occupant.

Google search didn’t turn up much aside from this link from the Triad construction website. Not much use unless you have the password.

http://triadrc.com/2020/04/13/cajun-coast-houston-tx/

On 6/15/2020 at 8:45 AM, ljchou said:

Drove by yesterday and harassed the guy working there. It was a fire alarm guy who said "it's a Cajun restaurant". No additional info.

26 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

Construction fence is down around the restaurant pad site. Checked the permit in the window and it lists “Cajun Coast” as the occupant.

Your boy wasn't lying. A good source!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1