HAIF - Houston's original social media

Navigation Place: Navigation Blvd at Ennis St.

On 3/3/2020 at 9:37 AM, EastEndHeritage said:

My gut feeling is that even if this place opens, it will not stay in business for too long. There is a lot great food in the area for a reasonable price. Corkys is overprice and not even authentic Texas BBQ. Sad to say this about a business coming to my hood.

Drive by this strip today. Sign for Allegiance Bank is up, but no signs for Corky's. Bad news for them...

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2 retail structures totaling a little over 21,000 sq feet    http://ucr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Navigation-Place-property-flyer.pdf  

So dumb to post this stuff when you're in the process of opening a business.

Hello My Fellow East End Community:    We're in final negotiations on potentially bringing "Freshness in bowl" to this shopping plaza. The place will provide top notch customer service along

Posted Images

16 hours ago, JBTX said:

Drive by this strip today. Sign for Allegiance Bank is up, but no signs for Corky's. Bad news for them...

Good news for me though. I’m just a few blocks away but couldn’t see myself going to Corky’s and wasn’t super excited about it. Hopefully something with a more diverse menu goes in here.

But knowing my luck, it will probably be a Chipotle. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Highrise Tower changed the title to Navigation Place - Navigation Blvd at Ennis St.
  • 3 weeks later...

They are moving fast on build-out of the restaurant portion. Maybe a half-dozen workers were present. No sign is up, so I’m not sure if this is still going to be a Corky’s or some other restaurant.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vOISdHl

(Sorry for the link, it’s inverting the orientation of photos when I try to upload directly, and Imgur imbed feature isn’t working on mobile)

• Thanks 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I hate this development. I was trying to stay positive but I hate it. 

On 3/12/2020 at 11:11 AM, thedistrict84 said:

Good news for me though. I’m just a few blocks away but couldn’t see myself going to Corky’s and wasn’t super excited about it. Hopefully something with a more diverse menu goes in here.

But knowing my luck, it will probably be a Chipotle. 

I’ll take Chipotle over anything named Corky’s any day. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I hate this development. I was trying to stay positive but I hate it. 

I’ll take Chipotle over anything named Corky’s any day. 

With all the other options in a 2 block radius, I don't think i would ever eat at that chipotle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, downtownian said:

With all the other options in a 2 block radius, I don't think i would ever eat at that chipotle.

I would definitely eat at Chiptole, Free Birds, Taco Deli or Torchys if they came here. Fast casual has its place even surrounded by some of the best options in Houston. Those in EADO and the East End really  have to travel to Midtown or Montrose to get any of these "healthier" fast food options. As the population continues to increase on the East of 59, the more need for places like this will rise. This particular strip in Navigation is completely lacking in everything except Mexican food, I would also love to see an even healthier option like a Sweet Green or a Nekter (I imagine a national chain will move in this spot). 

I know these places wouldn't bring people in who live outside of the neighborhood because they are most likely already in their neighborhood, but there aren't a lot of these common options in the neighborhood that aren't pure fast food in the area east of 59. 

Edited by I'm Not a Robot
6 hours ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

I would definitely eat at Chiptole, Free Birds, Taco Deli or Torchys if they came here. Fast casual has its place even surrounded by some of the best options in Houston. Those in EADO and the East End really  have to travel to Midtown or Montrose to get any of these "healthier" fast food options. As the population continues to increase on the East of 59, the more need for places like this will rise. This particular strip in Navigation is completely lacking in everything except Mexican food, I would also love to see an even healthier option like a Sweet Green or a Nekter (I imagine a national chain will move in this spot). 

I know these places wouldn't bring people in who live outside of the neighborhood because they are most likely already in their neighborhood, but there aren't a lot of these common options in the neighborhood that aren't pure fast food in the area east of 59. 

Salata, Muscle Maker, and a Vietnamese place would earn a lot of income from me.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Montrose1100 said:

Salata, Muscle Maker, and a Vietnamese place would earn a lot of income from me.

Vietnamese would be ideal, especially after losing VNwich at the Shops on Navigation before it even opened...

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, JBTX said:

Vietnamese would be ideal, especially after losing VNwich at the Shops on Navigation before it even opened...

Agreed and I would love a Bahn Mi shop here but I think you have to look more at national chains versus local for this development though. I'm not familiar with any bigger Vietnamese chains but maybe you could convince smaller chains like Pho Binh or Les Givral's to open a shop here. So maybe something like Jinya Ramen would find this location to be fitting, they opened in a shopping center further north, although I would much prefer a Tatsuya spin-off to find it's footing in the East End. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

Agreed and I would love a Bahn Mi shop here but I think you have to look more at national chains versus local for this development though.

Oh, I totally agree that, based on the location, it's most likely to be a national chain. But we'll see. Hoping for the best.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, JBTX said:

I love Vietnamese, but we've already got Huynh and TH; I'd love some Thai, Ramen, or even decent takeout Chinese (China 101, despite the somehow great reviews was pretty inedible).

On 5/26/2020 at 10:13 AM, I'm Not a Robot said:

I would definitely eat at Chiptole, Free Birds, Taco Deli or Torchys if they came here.

This particular strip in Navigation is completely lacking in everything except Mexican food

All of those options you mentioned are generally similar to Tex-Mex and it’s derivatives. We need more diverse food options in this area beyond any of those.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, ljchou said:

Have we confirmed this isn't a Corky's? I'm surprised at all of the speculation when it seems like there's been no indication of change of tenant.

I think there's a little bit of speculation and a lot bit of hoping it turns out to be something better (or at least more interesting) than Corky's.

• Like 1
On 5/27/2020 at 12:51 PM, linearmovement said:

I love Vietnamese, but we've already got Huynh and TH; I'd love some Thai, Ramen, or even decent takeout Chinese (China 101, despite the somehow great reviews was pretty inedible).

if you're looking for authentic Thai, you've got the best Thai restaurant in Houston, sure you have to go all the way down to Lockwood and Leeland, but it's still in the East End, and it really is very good.

https://goo.gl/maps/dLxueyTtQd8Ug3oL7

I'm not aware of a good Chinese restaurant in the area.

32 minutes ago, samagon said:

if you're looking for authentic Thai, you've got the best Thai restaurant in Houston, sure you have to go all the way down to Lockwood and Leeland, but it's still in the East End, and it really is very good.

https://goo.gl/maps/dLxueyTtQd8Ug3oL7

I'm not aware of a good Chinese restaurant in the area.

Any recommendations for dishes at Kanomwan? I've been (admittedly only once) and it was underwhelming, but could have been an off night or maybe I ordered the wrong dish. I'm definitely willing to give it another shot.

I usually get the pad ka pow, but have also had the pad prig. 

I've been told by people that have been to Thailand, and even people who are from Thailand that it's an authentic flavor. 

6 hours ago, linearmovement said:

Any recommendations for dishes at Kanomwan? I've been (admittedly only once) and it was underwhelming, but could have been an off night or maybe I ordered the wrong dish. I'm definitely willing to give it another shot.

For soup, Tom Ka Gai. For an entree, chicken Gang Ped, chicken Pad Panang, and Pad Woon Sen are all excellent. Gang Ped and Pad Panang are quite spicy, Pad Woon Sen not at all. We usually order a Gang Ped or a Pad Panang and a Pad Woon Sen and split them. It's plenty for two people.  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2020 at 8:47 AM, ljchou said:

Have we confirmed this isn't a Corky's? I'm surprised at all of the speculation when it seems like there's been no indication of change of tenant.

I stopped by and talked to a construction worker. Unfortunately, he did not know what restaurant is going up, but mentioned most of the construction work inside is wrapping up within the next few days and that the place will have a bar. 😒

1 hour ago, EastEndHeritage said:

I stopped by and talked to a construction worker. Unfortunately, he did not know what restaurant is going up, but mentioned most of the construction work inside is wrapping up within the next few days and that the place will have a bar. 😒

Great now we’re going to have drunks speeding down the Esplanade or even crashing in to it. I hope I’m wrong. 

12 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Great now we’re going to have drunks speeding down the Esplanade or even crashing in to it. I hope I’m wrong. 

Ninfas and Tiempo both have a bar and  Moon Tower is essentially a bar and it's just one street over, so while it's reasonable to expect the worst, there are places with bars right there. 

edit: Corky's in Cypress according a quick google search has / had? a bar. I'm sure it's still Corky's and our hopes and dreams will be destroyed soon. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

Ninfas and Tiempo both have a bar and  Moon Tower is essentially a bar and it's just one street over, so while it's reasonable to expect the worst, there are places with bars right there. 

edit: Corky's in Cypress according a quick google search has / had? a bar. I'm sure it's still Corky's and our hopes and dreams will be destroyed soon. 

Yeah they have a bar but they aren't a bar, so the likelihood of people driving from those establishments drunk isn't as likely as a place dedicated to drinking.

17 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Yeah they have a bar but they aren't a bar, so the likelihood of people driving from those establishments drunk isn't as likely as a place dedicated to drinking.

Have you had the Margaritas at Ninfas? I don't feel right driving home after only drinking one.

I understand your concern but a drunk driver can crash into anything, anywhere. Like that warehouse on Hirsch.

• Like 3
39 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

The original post that you responded to is saying that the restaurant being built will have a bar, not that it is a bar. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, I'm Not a Robot said:

The original post that you responded to is saying that the restaurant being built will have a bar, not that it is a bar. 

Oh shit you're right, my bad, it's been a looong week. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

Have you had the Margaritas at Ninfas? I don't feel right driving home after only drinking one.

They are some of the best margs in the city. Luckily I only live a few blocks away so I have the option to walk there and back.

• Like 3
On 6/15/2020 at 10:21 AM, JBTX said:

Cajun Town just closed, so, maybe they are just moving?

I wouldn't expect that. He posted in response to a social media post that COVID got them. 

There aren't many national chains that are Cajun, so maybe a Ragin Cajun, who recently closed another location, or BB's make sense in this spot. Either would be fine for me as I would love a place to consistently be able to get crawfish. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2020 at 8:45 AM, ljchou said:

Drove by yesterday and harassed the guy working there. It was a fire alarm guy who said "it's a Cajun restaurant". No additional info.

26 minutes ago, thedistrict84 said:

Construction fence is down around the restaurant pad site. Checked the permit in the window and it lists “Cajun Coast” as the occupant.

Your boy wasn't lying. A good source!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

In a dull Strip Center? ;)

Well, it is going to be more than just average strip center. It is at least anchored by a bank, which over time should bring people to the strip on the daily basis.

It is just a matter of preference. I am not a big fan of Cajun food and I believe it is the same for a lot of the legacy neighbors in Second Ward. See what happened to Cajun Town Café. Maybe Cajun can do better in Third or Fifth Ward. A real Texas BBQ restaurant would be nice (Porky's was not real Texas BBQ). An Asian restaurant would also be nice. Italian?

It is my understanding more Mexican restaurants are not allowed in that part of Navigation, but even then a variation of Mexican casual can be nice in that area. Something cheaper and faster such as Tostada Regia or Arandas (or I dare to say Chipotle) would be nice for a quick pickup order. Ninfa's is too expensive for the "I don't feel like cooking today" type of order and our household is morally opposed to spend our hard earned money at El Tiempo on Navigation. Villa Arcos has been closed for months now and the hours are super limited even before Covid. Dona Maria has the same issue, weird hours and too small to sit comfortably.

Anyways, I hope at least this new place has decent happy hour specials. We shall see.

Edited by EastEndHeritage

"I am not a big fan of Cajun food and I believe it is the same for a lot of the legacy neighbors in Second Ward. See what happened to Cajun Town Café. Maybe Cajun can do better in Third or Fifth Ward."

Hmmm. I don't like anything about these sentences. 

13 minutes ago, Texasota said:

"I am not a big fan of Cajun food and I believe it is the same for a lot of the legacy neighbors in Second Ward. See what happened to Cajun Town Café. Maybe Cajun can do better in Third or Fifth Ward."

Hmmm. I don't like anything about these sentences. 

You might not like anything about those sentences, but it doesn't make it any more likely for a Cajun restaurant to succeed. Just being honest.

You know what else wont succeed here... any of those pretentious restaurants from the Heights. Do you like anything about this sentence, Mr. Sentence Inspector?

Posted (edited)

For the same reason there is very little, if any, Mexican on any other Latin cuisine restaurants in the West University/Greenway area. The clientele is not there. Also, hardly any Mexican/Italian/Asian restaurants on Fifth Wards. I wonder why. You can spin it anyway you want, but it does not changes the fact. You cannot shove something on people's mouth if they don't like it or can't afford it.

I really enjoyed Andes Cafe, but every time I went it was empty. Why? Too expensive and not many Ecuadorians around the hood. Therefore, it failed. @Texasota, it looks like you are determined to play to some kind of victimization. That is up to you if that is what you are into.

I just want a restaurant that will last in the neighborhood and not end up like Cajun Town, which was struggling way before Covid. But hey, what do I know. It is not like I live in the neighborhood or something. Oh wait.

Edited by EastEndHeritage
6 minutes ago, Texasota said:

Wellp, thanks for the confirmation. It's good to know *exactly* where you stand.

Please explain to me why any other places you seem to be concerned about do not have diversified cuisines. Do we know *exactly* where Fifth and Third Ward stand? Or this game only played in a one-way street?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, EastEndHeritage said:

I really enjoyed Andes Cafe, but every time I went it was empty. Why? Too expensive and not many Ecuadorians around the hood. Therefore, it failed. @Texasota, it looks like you are determined to play to some kind of victimization. That is up to you if that is what you are into.

Just to steer this more back onto subject...Andes lasted a very long time for a restaurant of its style. 7 years, with the last 2 or 3 without their head chef as he was out exploring projects is pretty impressive. It was the construction at 2404 that finally killed them.

Plus, they were always full on Sundays. Very popular with the fresa crowd too.

• Like 1

This is almost certainly a bad idea, but...

Third and Fifth Ward are food deserts. Fifth Ward in particular just doesn't have much in the way of restaurant options *period*, probably because income levels in the neighborhood just aren't high enough to support much in the way of restaurants. There are absolutely Mexican places (taquerias and taco trucks if nothing else). Third Ward has a bit more variety, but also just doesn't have the *quantity* of our more restaurant heavy neighborhoods. As for Italian food specifically: Houston is not an Italian food heavy city. There are a couple of decent places, but generally they're few and far between.

As for Greenway/West U: you're just wrong. There are plenty of Mexican options in the area. Rustika Cafe is a particularly notable option, but there are others as well. Oh, and you know what else? Cajun food! 

What I really want to know is: why would Cajun food do better in Third or Fifth Ward? I want you to spell it out, so there's no confusion. 

• Highrise Tower changed the title to Navigation Place: Navigation Blvd at Ennis St.