Porsche River Oaks: Auto Dealership At 4007 Greenbriar Dr.

12 hours ago, KinkaidAlum said:

I want to NIMBY it since this is my exit but it'll be better than that "lumber" yard. That place has become a dump and vagrant hangout. 

Don't forget about the Magic Island building.

• Like 4

On 5/11/2017 at 1:31 PM, capnmcbarnacle said:

I knew the lumber yard's days were numbered and I, for one, will miss it.  It was old school and had everything I needed.  Home Depot is no substitute.  Given the land value, it was only a matter of time.

Theres a lumber yard north of i10 in the heights that has a big variety of specialty woods, etc.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Porsche of River Oaks
9 hours ago, houstontexasjack said:

The site is becoming Porsche of River Oaks. Stahlman Lumber closed yesterday (2-28-2020). Saw the sign on the drive home today.

Wow, I had not heard that. There's a million (ok, slight exaggeration... half a million) Porsches in the inner city. I know my wife has to drive to Momentum Porsche way out the SW Fwy. She will be thrilled to hear this.

I used to drive by Stahlman at least twice a day when I lived in Southampton. I'll have to make a point and drive by soon.

Thanks for sharing and updating us!

• Like 4

Last week I noticed the "marquee" on the front of Stahlman Lumber (facing Greenbriar) read that it was moving to Stafford. It seems appropriate to have a Porsche dealership in that location. There are several Porsche's in West U. and Southampton and many, many Audis. I wonder who patronizes the Porsche dealership way out the North Freeway. People in the Woodlands perhaps.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2017 at 3:01 AM, cloud713 said:

There's a lumber yard north of I10 in the heights that has a big variety of specialty woods, etc.

cloud, are you talking about Clark's Hardwood Lumber Co. at 700 E. 5-1/2 Street? There is also Houston Hardwoods at 4910 W. 34th. These are not traditional "lumber stores" where one gets Southern yellow pine 2x4s etc. They have more exotic species generally. Years ago there was another specialty lumber store (also in the Heights IIRC) called All Woods/Schroeder. The corporation was dissolved in July of 1991.

I visited All Woods Schroeder and Houston Hardwoods to get certain species for projects. They had/have some wonderful stuff. When I was a child living with my parents a neighbor was a buyer for All Woods Schroeder. He made many trips to South America and a few to Africa.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Specwriter said:

Last week I noticed the "marquee" on the front of Stahlman Lumber (facing Greenbriar) read that it was moving to Stafford. It seems appropriate to have a Porsche dealership in that location. There are several Porsche's in West U. and Southampton and many, many Audis. I wonder who patronizes the Porsche dealership way out the North Freeway. People in the Woodlands perhaps.

I live in upper Kirby and drive all the way to Porsche north Houston because Sonic dealerships are the worst. I’ve bought 7 Porsches since 2007. Sonic is so bad I’ll drive 15 miles up 45 to avoid them.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, jgriff said:

I live in upper Kirby and drive all the way to Porsche north Houston because Sonic dealerships are the worst. I’ve bought 7 Porsches since 2007. Sonic is so bad I’ll drive 15 miles up 45 to avoid them.

Also Porsche of North Houston is awesome and now is attached to the Lamborghini, Rolls Royce, McLaren dealership. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Specwriter said:

cloud, are you talking about Clark's Hardwood Lumber Co. at 700 E. 5-1/2 Street? There is also Houston Hardwoods at 4910 W. 34th. These are not traditional "lumber stores" where one gets Southern yellow pine 2x4s etc. They have more exotic species generally. Years ago there was another specialty lumber store (also in the Heights IIRC) called All Woods/Schroeder. The corporation was dissolved in July of 1991.

I visited All Woods Schroeder and Houston Hardwoods to get certain species for projects. They had/have some wonderful stuff. When I was a child living with my parents a neighbor was a buyer for All Woods Schroeder. He made many trips to South America and a few to Africa.

Yeah, Clarks. Ive only been once, but they had what we needed when doing some cabinet work trying to match the right wood/grain.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Article with rendering.

https://communityimpact.com/houston/heights-river-oaks-montrose/impacts/2020/03/11/stahlman-lumber-co-closes-longtime-greenbriar-location-to-make-way-for-porsche-dealership/

Stahlman Lumber Co. closed down its business operations at 4007 Greenbriar Drive, Houston, as of Feb. 28 and was in the process of moving out in early March. The company, based in Houston for over 75 years, operates another lumber yard at 13913 Greenland Drive, Stafford. The lumber company sold its Greenbriar location to North Carolina-based Sonic Automotive in 2017, county records show, and signs posted at the location show renderings of a Porsche River Oaks dealership. A request for comment from Sonic Automotive was not returned. The 2.4-acre site was valued at $9.3 million by the Harris County Appraisal District in 2019. 281-499-1611.

5VbF2vN.jpg

• Like 4

• The title was changed to 4007 Greenbriar Dr. (Former Stahlman Lumber Co.)
  • The title was changed to Porsche River Oaks: 8-Story Auto Dealership on Greenbriar
  • The title was changed to Porsche River Oaks: 5-Story Auto Dealership on Greenbriar

13 minutes ago, astrohip said:

This made me think, based on the "River Oaks" spread discussion in the other thread... is this the first recorded use of "River Oaks" in a name/description that is actually south of 59? 🙄😒

River Oaks Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge is south of 59 on Kirby. I couldn't tell you when they adopted that name of its always been called that but its been around a while from what I can tell.

But yeah, they should have kept the Sonic name as seen in the property flyer hotlinked above. Sonic the Porsh-ah has a better ring to it.

360?cb=20191020043348

10c6d01512bfa0ed0258b56ad7b212fd.jpg

Edited by zaphod
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, zaphod said:

River Oaks Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge is south of 59 on Kirby. I couldn't tell you when they adopted that name of its always been called that but its been around a while from what I can tell.

But yeah, they should have kept the Sonic name as seen in the property flyer hotlinked above. Sonic the Porsh-ah has a better ring to it.

Thanks, I forgot about that (don't know how, I drive by it all the time 🙄). They've been there a loooong time, well before the Helfman family owned it. I think it used to be owned by Bud Adams (the Oiler's owner), and in all fairness, is just a short hop down Kirby from RO. Bud lived in RO, and probably wanted to play off that name/location. Not sure if it was ever located anywhere else.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Surprise find of the day, a tower crane base at the Sonic Porsche dealership. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise since they used a tower crane to help build the Audi dealership across the highway. Looks like a built in place parking garage instead of a precast. That timeline seems like it might be hard to keep though.

MaH6mwV.jpg

ewKukBD.jpg

smhZdSg.jpg

nvcUbGm.jpg

• Like 5

On 5/13/2017 at 3:01 AM, cloud713 said:

Theres a lumber yard north of i10 in the heights that has a big variety of specialty woods, etc.

On 5/14/2017 at 9:02 AM, capnmcbarnacle said:

Thanks for the tip!  I'll check it out.

late reply, and off topic, sorry.

Clarks is great for exotics.

if you aren't looking for exotic woods, and just want good prices, compare Houston Hardwoods up off 290 and 34th.