The Iron Works At 1414 Bonner St.

Urbannizer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I live down the street and received the variance request, suppose that means things are moving forward.  Just a setback notice, might call the contact listed to see about the tenant wishlist. Fingers still crossed against an Ice house. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/6/2017 at 11:50 AM, Evil Developer said:

They must have dropped edge as leasing agent.  I know the developer and he is definitely moving forward on this project.

Any insight on what they are doing with the office building from the ironworks?  Full scale reno been going on for months. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

That's too bad. Was hoping this would come to fruition. I guess we will likely see more townhouses go up. I wasn't crazy about repurposing those buildings, but was looking forward to some retail/food establishments there.

The restaurants over by Chipotle do really well. Would love to see a street fronted development go in here with parking in the back. Would be a good look with the apartments right across the way.  Maybe even look urban, as much as Houston hates that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
2 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

Try as I might, I'm having trouble seeing how that could be considered bad news. 

My opinion, as someone who lives down the street, is based on two main factors:

1. Aesthetics will not be a priority, so I expect it to look only moderately improved, much like the half-ass renovation at Dialyspa. (Admittedly I have a significant beef with Houston in general around aesthetics)

2. Looking past the fuzzy feelings of finding animals homes, it will essentially be a shit and noise factory. (I have lived near a kennel before)

All that said, I will probably volunteer there, I just wish something different would have gone in.

40 minutes ago, HNathoo said:

The economics of this blow my mind. This is $90psf dirt. How is that even possible??

Was my first thought but my friend said it's a done deal, assuming it is a lease, but still...

Maybe he is wrong and/or misheard, but suggested a 12-18mth build out

22 hours ago, Visitor said:

My opinion, as someone who lives down the street, is based on two main factors:

1. Aesthetics will not be a priority, so I expect it to look only moderately improved, much like the half-ass renovation at Dialyspa. (Admittedly I have a significant beef with Houston in general around aesthetics)

2. Looking past the fuzzy feelings of finding animals homes, it will essentially be a shit and noise factory. (I have lived near a kennel before)

All that said, I will probably volunteer there, I just wish something different would have gone in.

Both of those factors could probably be minimized if this new facility were more like Friends for Life on 22nd (which, granted, is both locally-based and pretty well-funded, and that may or may not be the case with Best Friends). OK, it's a concrete box, but given that limitation they made it look as attractive as they could. 

I'd be fine with a few more animal shelters and a few less flavor-of-the-moment restaurants and bars, but then again my idea of mixed-use development skews much closer to that of past eras, when the term encompassed light industrial activity, rather than the retail + restaurants + residential formula that most people now take it to mean. 

On 9/29/2018 at 8:33 PM, HNathoo said:

The economics of this blow my mind. This is $90psf dirt. How is that even possible??

Well they are much larger and better funded than I thought... 137M revenue last year

https://bestfriends.org/about-best-friends/financial-information

Edited by Visitor
Fix

• The title was changed to The Iron Works at 1414 Bonner Street
  • 1 year later...
On 8/15/2021 at 5:25 PM, Ross said:

Drove by this today, and it's for sale. The Best Friends banner is gone, and there's a for sale sign up. Wasn't able to get a picture, unfortunately.

It has been on the market for almost a year now. No price listed last I looked.

• Like 1