Evacuating

JJ18

Blame your Senators and Represenatives on how the Homeland Security money is distributed.

Don't you folks understand how Government works?

FWIW, The Port of Houston just recived the largest alocation of Homeland Security funds of any port in the USA.

Maybe we should just give it all back since it's such a waste.

Don't be a Simple Simon.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Blame your Senators and Represenatives on how the Homeland Security money is distributed.

FWIW, The Port of Houston just recived the largest alocation of Homeland Security funds of any port in the USA.

Don't be a Simple Simon.

That would be the Republican controlled Senate and House, wouldn't it?

Simple Simon, indeed.

Trust me, everbody got their pork. I am no Rep, but if they are all so wrong, then why do they control both houses and the Presidency? I'd love to see some Dem leadship, but right now I don't see any, and apparently, neither do most Americans.

Watch the news tonight. FEMA is now blaming Lousyanna. I think they were called "dysfunctional".

Back to the subject. Another lesson learned that Houston needs to

Don't be a Simple Simon.

I just wish the party of "fiscal responsibility" would show some. When Tom Delay says "we've cut all we can" was he serious or does he really think the American people are that stupid? I don't know how they are going to do it but the moderately good economy we have now is going to tank if they don't cut somewhere.

I did watch the news tonight. Mike Brown becomes a bigger idiot every time he opens his mouth. Amazingly, FEMA had aplan to go into overwhelmed disaster areas without being asked. So, not only did New Orleans not follow ITS plan, Louisiana didn't follow ITS plan and FEMA didn't follow ITS own plan.

In retrospect, it's amazing that only 1,000 died.

BTW, Beaumont's mayor is screaming that FEMA isn't helping his city either. It'll take more than firing Mike Brown to fix this clusterf*ck of an agency. How about dismantling DHS? It seemed to work better the old way.

I don't see that happening for awhile, Coog. The lust for power by those who enter politics far outweighs any desire for community service. Worse, the voters seem to reward this behavior, as long as the power monger is from their favorite party.

The politicians then reward their supporters with government appointments, thinking if they can run a campaign, they can run a government. When their bureaucratic incompetence inevitably shows its ugly face, the politicians put the slimy spin machine to work, trashing the victims before the bodies have even bloated.

The party that is out of favor then jumps on the incompetents, in a lame attempt to suggest they would have done better. Meanwhile, the victims are starving, thirsty, homeless and wondering why the world's only superpower cannot even protect it's own citizens.

The citizenry, as it has been trained to do, lashes out at each party, as if natural disasters, and the response to them, has some sort of political solution. When the citizenry puts competence above party affiliation, change will occur. Until then, go buy your own generator and water, and hope that the poor and infirm can hang on.

I blame Bush in large part because he's the one who appointed the leadership of many of the agencies that are suffering from piss-poor leadership. I am not saying it's a Republican problem, and I agree that incompetency crosses party lines. However we have had huge disasters before without some of the issues we have had in the last month after these two hurricanes. I am disgusted when a President who was reelected largely on a platform of making this country safer and improving our response to emergencies has done such an incredibly bad job at making us safer. And it's not like this is the only thing he has seriously botched up.

As for simple simons, many of the ones I know are the ones who voted for this current President and Congress. I'm not accusing anyone on this board or saying that all Republican supporters fall into that category, but there are far too many people who would rather fall into the party line than think for themselves. All they hear is the trumped up fear mongering of the right, combined with them screaming "family values" from the mountaintop, and they fall in line and refuse to see how poorly things are being run.

Now for a good laugh -- NPR this morning was reporting that FEMA has rehired Mike Brown as a "consultant." What the hell can he be consulting them on? How to screw things up even more? :rolleyes:

I am just thankful that at least my family members who are caught in the middle of this thing are in one of the few towns that supplies arrived in quickly, and that they have a relatively undamaged house, and the financial means to come through this okay. However they are in the minority. This may not be another New Orleans, but it's still pretty damn bad.

Yup, I agree. I used to play in those shelters. Why can't northern and western residents go to those $65 million schools they are building, instead of blocking the freeways with 2 cars?

Plan for it, learn about it, then do it. If our construction materials and methods are so great, let's put them to good use.

Right. We need to prepare our city and homes, not for mass evacuation. I read that the Asians are laughing at our idiocy of running. They have built infrastructure to handle most typhoons.

How many millions of Chinese do you think are shuddering in their silk slippers and readying up the rickshaws just because big, bad Typhoon Longwang is on the way? They've had to learn to "hunker" since most still only have bikes. Now that would be a funny scene. And while they respect the power of nature, they seem to mock the storms by giving them funny names.

:lol:

Right. We need to prepare our city and homes, not for mass evacuation. I read that the Asians are laughing at our idiocy of running. They have built infrastructure to handle most typhoons.

How many millions of Chinese do you think are shuddering in their silk slippers and readying up the rickshaws just because big, bad Typhoon Longwang is on the way? They've had to learn to "hunker" since most still only have bikes. Now that would be a funny scene. And while they respect the power of nature, they seem to mock the storms by giving them funny names.

By golly there really was a Typhoon Longwang. Imagine the fun we could have if they named hurricanes like that.

I think this is all part of the "puppy" factor...i.e., America has become a bunch of puppies. There were evacuees that were worried about being uncomfortable if the power went out, as MidtownCoog said, so they clogged up the freeway for real evacuees. They are probably the biggest whiners about the evacuation, too. Their SUVs probably get shitty gas mileage while sitting in traffic with max ac on.

Unfortunately, I doubt any amount of "education" will convince these selfish bastards to stay put. Maybe if we make gensets the new "it" item to have in Houston, they'll stick around and show them off. <_<

The only reason I went to Dallas, wasn't because of me or my girlfriend it was because of our kid he's 7 months old and I wasn't gonna risk stayin here I live in SW Houston and I know it wasn't mandatory to leave but when you go to a store and see that there running low on basic nescesities water,food and gas, BS MAN I'm gone even though notting bad happen where I live I still don't regret leavin yeah it took 14 hours but hey atleast we were safe so if that's what you call being "puppy" I guess we should not care about our families safety?........

Chill, JJ. Read the entire thread. I was talking mostly about northern and western suburbs. Southwest Houston is probably no more than 45 miles from the coast, and a 7 month old does change things. But, I doubt there are 1 million parents of 7 month olds out there, and that still doesn't justify taking TWO SUVs. Those are the ones I'm talking about.

Something needs to be fixed...

lavstx9un.jpg

Interesting. Galveston is run by Democrats and has been for over a hundred years, yet you claim them as Republicans?

Now, TxDOT, who decided to run the contra-flow at 7:00 AM on Thursday, 24 hours after the traffic jams started, and did not get them in place until Thursday afternoon, and who DID NOT follow it's own plan to have gasoline at rest stops for the inevitable stalled vehicles, now that group is part of the State of Texas, which doesn't have a single statewide elected Democrat.

Our Democratic mayor, Galveston's Democratic mayor and our Republican County Judge did a great job. Our Republican run state government stunk up the place. I see no political winners or losers.

Local guys and gals=Good

State guys=Bad

FEMA=Still missing in action.

Something needs to be fixed...

lavstx9un.jpg

Why you have to bring in your politics into this Coog?

Besides Louisiana has always had a bad reputation with Government leadership. No matter if it was democrat, republican, or independent.

What does the Galveston evacuation have to do with Republican leadership? Nowhere could I find Lyda Ann Thomas' party affiliation. Isn't mayor of Galveston a non-partison position?

I believe that in Texas local governments, i.e. mayors, are supposed to be nonpartisan.

Interesting. Galveston is run by Democrats and has been for over a hundred years, yet you claim them as Republicans?

Local guys and gals=Good

State guys=Bad

FEMA=Still missing in action.

I think Coog is having delusions because Tom Delay was indicted today.

Read the following from the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/A...estigation.html

Politics started at Post #25 in this thread. Read closely.

Mayor White is a Dem. How dense are y'all?

And who cares about Cockroach Delay?

Well, we all should, becuase this is another log in the Enron/Cheerleader Mom/Run Over Your Husband/Andrea Yates/Halliburton fire that IS Houston.

Do we really need another black eye already?

Did y'all see Lynn Ashby's column three weeks ago on evacuation plans?

I bet he feels like psychic.

Politics started at Post #25 in this thread. Read closely.

Mayor White is a Dem. How dense are y'all?

And who cares about Cockroach Delay?

Well, we all should, becuase this is another log in the Enron/Cheerleader Mom/Run Over Your Husband/Andrea Yates/Halliburton fire that IS Houston.

Do we really need another black eye already?

Did y'all see Lynn Ashby's column three weeks ago on evacuation plans?

I bet he feels like psychic.

Still wondering why you think the Galveston evacuation had anything to do with Republican leadership. I guess it is the Gov. Perry syndrome. Do nothing but take credit for what gets done.

Dude, it's an internet joke...

Is Mayor Lyda Ann Thomas a Rep or Dem?

Joke. Ok, but very misleading and political. Mayor Thomas does a good job of keeping her political affiliation a secret. No where on the Internet is there a mention one way or the other. Guess she really is non-partison.

I don't think it's THAT misleading.

Galveston Mayor Faced Disaster Before International Audience

The world's eyes were on Galveston Mayor Lyda Ann Thomas as she handled the disaster of Hurricane Rita in front of an international audience.

Thomas became a familiar figure through interviews on such U.S. network and cable news programs.

Her reviews, in the form of an onslaught of e-mails, were mostly complimentary.

One e-mail from Canada praised her evacuation plans and hailed her "for remembering the seniors, disabled and poor people" in her plans.

Two from Sweden sent their compliments and asked Thomas to send them autographed photos for their collections "of very important persons of today's world."

Thomas said she couldn't explain the response. In her words -- "I'm just me."

• 2 weeks later...
As I type my Girlfriend is driving I'm in The Woodlands its taiknen 5 and 1/2 hours just to get from South West Houston to here. If yall havent evacuated trough 45 towards Dallas its caos nothing is moving people are out of gas and people stop in the middle of the road to eat streach and just not do nothing....

I think they should have opened up the other lanes to just make the freways a one way, I still haven't reach Conroe so I don't know how "fast" its moving hopefully this won't be somenthing we have to look back at and tell ourselves "we could have done this or that" I'm pissed because as I drive people with children are outside because thres nothing you can do but wait and hope u don't run out of gas .....

Nice people are giving out water, HOT DOGS, and I anything they can give away

C'onm 5 million people trying to get out ONE CAN ONLY WAIT...........

That bus crash was terrible!

Archived