Sign in to follow this  
native_Houstonian

Tila's at 1111 S Shepherd for lease?

I went there last night and talked to the manager, didn't ask about this specifically but he said business is great. I kind of wish they would close though, we could use a better restaurant on his corner. The food is just OK and the margaritas are not very good.

8 hours ago, native_Houstonian said:

Yes, I'm not a fan of the restaurant either.    The owner, Tila, is not very customer oriented.  Really don't know how she stays in business.

She must be doing something right, as you don't stay in business in Houston as a restaurant owner for 30+ years solely by chance (dating back to when Tila's was still on Lower Westheimer, where Katz's is now). 

I actually go there quite often even though it's not the best food because I live very close, so I can walk over and can bring my dog. The waitstaff tell me Tila's is a very difficult place to work.

Edited by jgriff

An excavator is on site digging up the perimeter of the property. They are putting in a wider sidewalk on the East side. I can't tell exactly what they are doing on the South side but my first guess is that they are expanding the patio and sidewalk.

• Like 1

I’ve heard from people in the neighborhood that a bank leased it. I hope they are wrong. The building already appears to be reconfigured somewhat. There’s a driveway in the back now that leads to nothing. I figured it was going to lead to a drive thru after some demolition.

1 hour ago, jgriff said:

A variance request sign is on the building. It states that the use will be "full service restaurant".

I thought they were using this space to widen the street?

On 11/14/2017 at 11:29 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

The Rice Box  or the guy who owns it has supposedly leased the Tila's Restaurante building at 1111 S Shepherd in Houston.

From CultureMap today:

John Peterson can barely contain his excitement. His plan to transform the former Tila’s into a new location of The Rice Box is almost complete.

Yes, the rumors are true. The food truck-turned-restaurant that bills itself as “Chinese takeout from the future” will soon add a third sibling (at 1111 S. Shepherd Dr.) to its outposts in Greenway Plaza and The Heights.

Peterson has avoided speaking publicly about the project throughout the 15 months of construction, but this week’s installation of the restaurant's signature red-and-blue neon sign served as confirmation and prompted him to offer a brief sneak peek at the space. Save for some neon lights and other interior details, the work is almost complete (but unfortunately not ready for photos). If all goes according to plan, the restaurant will open in approximately 30 days (April 1, give or take a few days).

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/02-28-19-the-rice-box-chinese-restaurant-new-location-river-oaks-john-peterson/

• Like 1

He got me at this:

“This is the most you can possibly do to a building without completely tearing it down,” Peterson tells CultureMap as he leads a tour of the building. Once again, he tasked local design firm Collaborative Projects (UB Preserv, Georgia James) with capturing the right Blade Runner/Aliens vibe that defines The Rice Box’s signature look.

CANT WAIT! 

Wow, cool. Can't say that I'll be a regular patron at the new location like I am at the Heights location, but I'm glad to see them expanding. They put out affordable, quality food in generous portions and deserve success. 

• Like 1

Photos of the construction of Rice Box at 1111 S Shepherd in Houston, site of  the former Tila's Restaurant building.

From Collaborative Projects Instagram:

PKs9Nhc.jpg

FDZw6wq.jpg

iAuJK6C.jpg

Posted (edited)

Photos of the completed construction of Rice Box at 1111 S Shepherd in Houston, site of  the former Tila's Restaurant building.

From Collaborative Projects:

6ID6XTE.jpg

From Rice Box on Instagram:
PfrTvda.jpg

6iYSWtF.jpg

O5hPvV1.jpg

hpo2rSl.jpg

QwrLBaC.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv2waysACus/

Photos from street artists Dual Streets

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv4LuWAgFki/

uCo3Rfb.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
  • Like 1

They had a “friends and family” event yesterday. Drinks and food were being served.

• Like 1