Cat 6?

Heights2Bastrop

Yes, I do know there is no such thing as a category 6 storm. I meant that as a joke. I was merely pointing out the intensity of the hurricane, and that is not the least bit humorous.

As it looks now, the storm may come ashore at Freeport after taking a turn last night. It may well drop to a cat 4 by then, but it is still a monster.

Typhoon is not another level. It is just the name used for storms in the Pacific.

i know ... thats y i said that they are pacific storms only...i meant as next level of intensity...hopefully rita weakens considerably in the less favorable waters of the western gulf

i know ... thats y i said that they are pacific storms only...i meant as next level of intensity...hopefully rita weakens considerably in the less favorable waters of the western gulf

You are still wrong, Typhoon is not another level, it is just another name. Typhoon = Hurricane, Typhoon is not stronger than a Hurricane. :huh: Jeez.

Looking at the current tracking for Rita, it appears that the storm is making a beeline for and along I-45 North. I've always heard that heavily congested freeways are "heat islands" that can actually affect weather patterns, i.e. rain patterns. I'm wondering if there's anyone talking out there about the possibility that the storm could be pulling towards I-45 and U.S. 59 because of that heat effect. All those people sitting in their cars out there on the roads could potentially be "sitting ducks" because of this.

You are still wrong, Typhoon is not another level, it is just another name. Typhoon = Hurricane, Typhoon is not stronger than a Hurricane. :huh: Jeez.

But "Typhoon" sounds so much cooler and scarier than "Hurricane."

Good luck, everybody!

Looking at the current tracking for Rita, it appears that the storm is making a beeline for and along I-45 North. I've always heard that heavily congested freeways are "heat islands" that can actually affect weather patterns, i.e. rain patterns. I'm wondering if there's anyone talking out there about the possibility that the storm could be pulling towards I-45 and U.S. 59 because of that heat effect. All those people sitting in their cars out there on the roads could potentially be "sitting ducks" because of this.

Heat Islands usually cause weather to go around cities, not through them.

That being said, nothing man-made can change the course of a hurricane. It goes where the jet stream and high pressure systems take it.

Interesting. Freeways obviously reflect heat more than the earth around them. So it is possible that the rising warm air off a freeway could condense into water. However, despite the names and the personification given to hurricanes, they don't actually have the ability to make a conscious choice as to where they go. Hurricanes are steered by conditions in the upper-atmosphere and derive their power from sources of warm water. Not vice-versa.

Archived