Sign in to follow this  
Parrothead

Are You Evacuating?

I've been in Africa for awhile (Oh, I get around), and it's really strange, and a little bit scary, to see the news about Rita. Even here people are aware of the situation and ask what's going on. In a way I wish I were back in Houston. I was able to speak to a friend today who tried to evacuate but couldn't make it because of the traffic, but I haven't been able to get hold of some other friends so I'm just hoping for the best.

Good luck to everyone there.

Subdude

My mom came in Tuesday afternoon (from Dallas to Houston)...she left Houston yesterday at 6 AM...she got back into Dallas (taking backstreets) and filling at EVERY Gas station on the way...and got in at 3:30 AM this morning. She wasn't going to take chances on gas.

-this is what she told me when I called her to check up on where she was.

somehow some of this I don't believe that the gas stations would actually have gas.

I heard someone saying they took a GPS system and took the backways to Dallas and there was gas at gas stations as well. (on the radio)

My mom came in Tuesday afternoon (from Dallas to Houston)...she left Houston yesterday at 6 AM...she got back into Dallas (taking backstreets) and filling at EVERY Gas station on the way...and got in at 3:30 AM this morning. She wasn't going to take chances on gas.

-this is what she told me when I called her to check up on where she was.

somehow some of this I don't believe that the gas stations would actually have gas.

I heard someone saying they took a GPS system and took the backways to Dallas and there was gas at gas stations as well. (on the radio)

This doesn't really surprise me too much. Many people probably didn't have maps and had no idea how to navigate the smaller roads to get up to Dallas.

My sister told me this morning that one of her friends from Clear Lake went up to my parent's house yesterday. The last 15 miles, heading west along a two lane highway to the town where my parents live, took him from 10:30 PM last night to about 5:00 AM this morning. I can't imagine. Unfortunately the three people with Mom and Dad who are riding it out all drove up from Clear Lake to escape the storm. They are now all in the direct path of the center of the storm, and the latest NWS advisories are stating that they are in for 10-12 hours of hurricane force winds, and several hours of winds over 100 MPH. I almost ended up with them there, and am now somewhat glad I'm still in Alabama, but I'm also quite concerned as I don't know when I'll be able to get back to Houston, nor do I know when I'll be able to find out what's happened to my friends and family.