1000 Main becomes second downtown skyscraper to change hands this summer

By Jennifer Dawson

Houston Business Journal

Updated: 8:00 p.m. ET Sept. 18, 2005

One of the city's newest skyscrapers was acquired last week for what is believed to have been the highest price per square foot ever paid for a building in downtown Houston.

Reliant Energy Plaza, located at 1000 Main, was bought by KanAm grundinvest Fonds, an institutional investor out of Germany. The seller was a partnership led by HAUS-INVEST Global of Germany, which had held an ownership stake in the building since August 2004. The other former owners are from Houston: Pinto Realty and Century Development, which developed the building in March 2003 and will continue to manage and lease the property.

More Here:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9395712/

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
Is this normally lit like this every night with all those lights!!!

Ive never seen that before :D

Ha! No. Judging by the glow on the other buildings, it looks like it might have been during one of those downtown laser/light shows they used to have a few years back.

I heard (never confirmed this) that the original plan for that open roof was to shine a huge spotlight straight up at night that would be seen for 50 miles, or so. It seemed sort of like the idea behind the lighting on the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

To me, that would have been a pretty tasteful answer to everyone who wants more downtown lights at night. It would have been elegant, like the beacon on Williams Tower.

Anyway, I think the Reliant people believed it would appear wasteful, particularly in the climate of deregulation, where Reliant's rates are higher, in effort to break up their monopoly here. I guess it's still an option...

I heard (never confirmed this) that the original plan for that open roof was to shine a huge spotlight straight up at night that would be seen for 50 miles, or so. It seemed sort of like the idea behind the lighting on the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

To me, that would have been a pretty tasteful answer to everyone who wants more downtown lights at night. It would have been elegant, like the beacon on Williams Tower.

Anyway, I think the Reliant people believed it would appear wasteful, particularly in the climate of deregulation, where Reliant's rates are higher, in effort to break up their monopoly here. I guess it's still an option...

Do you mean the Luxor? 209myl3.jpg

MGM Grand:

209mzkk.jpg

i thought that was the reliant building...

You are correct it was the Reliant building. But then Reliant split itself into two separate companies and moved the part named Reliant into the new tower at 1000 Main. The part left in the former Reliant building is CenterPoint, hence it is now the CenterPoint building, or CenterPoint Plaza, or CenterPoint Tower... I don't know what the official name is.

• Like 1

Ha! No. Judging by the glow on the other buildings, it looks like it might have been during one of those downtown laser/light shows they used to have a few years back.

If definitely was a Power of Houston show.

Power of Houston pics

In '86 we also had Rendezvous Houston which was a lot longer show but only visible from the west side. It was a great show as well. Weather was really cloudy that day which made the city almost glow.

Rendezvous Houston

You are correct it was the Reliant building. But then Reliant split itself into two separate companies and moved the part named Reliant into the new tower at 1000 Main. The part left in the former Reliant building is CenterPoint, hence it is now the CenterPoint building, or CenterPoint Plaza, or CenterPoint Tower... I don't know what the official name is.

okay ... thanks for that clarification!

• 4 weeks later...
Ever since I moved to Houston a couple of years back I have wanted to see the top of this building. It is so mysterious to me. I recently purchased a good camera and I would love to get some photos of the top

Try from the observation level of Chase Tower. I think you can get a pretty good shot from there.

You aren't usually allowed up there but I know they've had weddings up there in the past. I'd just take the risk and call them and ask them and maybe they will let you take pictures from up there. Chase tower is the best observation deck in Houston but I think Wells Fargo has a better view of this building as long as downtown is not on an orange level terror alert they will let you up in Wells Fargo.

• 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Reliant Energy Plaza At 1000 Main St.
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Reliant Energy Plaza At 1000 Main St.