HAIF - Houston's original social media

W 19th (former Chase Bank) New Apartments by Greystar (2 Phases)

I think I'm kinda w/ s3mh on this one. 

I'm pretty much OK with the massing. The 20th St frontage is essentially 6 stories (a reasonable height fronting a street that width). The 12-story facade on Nicholson would seem overly high fronting a street as narrow as Nicholson, except the RoW on Nicholson is actually 50% wider than 20th (90 vs 60 ft). And the afternoon shade on that stretch of the bike trail would be welcome.

But the architecture is... not great? With the exception of the balconies on the north façade, it looks more like an office building or hotel than residential. And with the exception of the (3-story) lobby on the corner, the rest of the street-facing parts of the building look to be essentially blank walls covering a parking structure. Could be better.

• Like 2
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.facebook.com/MeeksPartners/photos/a.371100272905950/2768212819861338/?type=3&theater    

Came across a Lotus meetup across the street.

Posted Images

The front corner and balconies in the rendering look alright but the many repetitive cut out windows just really kills it for me. It immediately reminded me of the same cut out windows on The Hampton/Homewood Suites Hotel downtown. Also, the modern yet bland minimalist look doesn’t really mesh well with the surrounding “historic” neighborhood. I feel since this current design trend took hold, we have become very closed minded to all other styles. The modern trend just doesn’t translate well in every location, this to me being an example. The height is okay considering there are other tall buildings nearby. 

• Like 1

YTI7HJ9.gif

I literally have no clue what is going on this thread. How this thread is progressing makes the quote from my boss remain all too true and not only is it hard to legislate taste, it also seems impossible for others here to even define what the "taste" of this neighborhood is and why it so important to this particular instance, and nobody here can seem to give a solid answer why any of this matters in the grand scheme of things. Of all the places to make a stand aesthetically, this is an odd moment to do so, especially after how much has been built and changed in this hood for the past 10 years. NOW its going to far? Really? Oh well.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1

About the only high rise building that I can think of that manages to successfully blend in with a historic area's aesthetics is Aris at Market Square - but this ain't a Hines project, or apparently even a high end one.  Whether this building is attractive or not is a matter of taste (I don't much care for it personally).  Regardless, we're stuck with it, and it's not a chicken farm or a trash transfer station or some such so I'm not going to go all Abe Simpson and yell at the clouds.

Frankly, as a long time Heights homeowner, I'm more concerned by the sudden onset of fully fenced McTexasModernFarmhouses on slab, with crummy build quality and drainage issues out the wazoo for the immediate neighbors.  That, and I kinda liked the po' folks (as in, not a 7 figure housing budget) better.

• Like 4
On 6/13/2019 at 2:12 PM, cspwal said:

Also I looked on streetview - this is across the street from a strip center, not the historic 0' setback buildings

The best word for this immediate area going back 50 years is "dump" not "historic" in any sense.  It was very 50s-60s era commercial industrial mix with a railroad spur right through the middle of it. 

The only thing memorable or consistent about the area that felt like they tied together were the two big water tanks, they were very similar to each other...they had a nice giant water tank-ey aesthetic that really tied everything up in a beautiful bow.

Edited by JJxvi
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, hindesky said:

Looks like a tower crane base to me.

GFKNGgG.jpg

That actually looks like a deep foundation tensile load test to me.  (pdf of ASTM test http://www.centurionfondation.com/fr/pdf/ASTM-D3689_07.pdf )Next to the machinery are helical piles. So they might installing helical piles for the crane, and then subsequently load testing it? Either way, its a little odd to me. 

Normally I see those tests done if 1) theres a problem with the foundation you just placed. or 2: you're reusing the "deep foundation" of a previous or existing building. Code requires a load test. I'm skeptical the old chase bank had deep foundation thats useable for a much taller building. 

Maybe they want to load test their helical piles... I dont know. Curious images. 

• Like 6
16 minutes ago, Purdueenginerd said:

That actually looks like a deep foundation tensile load test to me.  (pdf of ASTM test http://www.centurionfondation.com/fr/pdf/ASTM-D3689_07.pdf )Next to the machinery are helical piles. So they might installing helical piles for the crane, and then subsequently load testing it? Either way, its a little odd to me. 

Normally I see those tests done if 1) theres a problem with the foundation you just placed. or 2: you're reusing the "deep foundation" of a previous or existing building. Code requires a load test. I'm skeptical the old chase bank had deep foundation thats useable for a much taller building. 

Maybe they want to load test their helical piles... I dont know. Curious images. 

To my knowledge the chase building is still there. 

The part of the block where they're drilling had a small pavilion but was mostly just paved over. No large building was on it. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Purdueenginerd said:

You know more about this than I do, I'm sure you're right.

1 hour ago, EllenOlenska said:

To my knowledge the chase building is still there. 

The part of the block where they're drilling had a small pavilion but was mostly just paved over. No large building was on it. 

Odd. Maybe a procedure they have in place for temporary foundations/Helical Piles. 

• Like 1
On 6/13/2019 at 11:38 AM, intencity77 said:

The front corner and balconies in the rendering look alright but the many repetitive cut out windows just really kills it for me. It immediately reminded me of the same cut out windows on The Hampton/Homewood Suites Hotel downtown. Also, the modern yet bland minimalist look doesn’t really mesh well with the surrounding “historic” neighborhood. I feel since this current design trend took hold, we have become very closed minded to all other styles. The modern trend just doesn’t translate well in every location, this to me being an example. The height is okay considering there are other tall buildings nearby. 

My first though seeing the rendering was a Holiday Inn. 

Edited by SMU1213
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tuesday, while visiting a friend in The Heights, I saw this. I think this one next to the Greystar is also getting started.

7D4RreT.jpg

gpMVaw8.jpg

This is the one by Meeks & Partners. Do we know if Greystar is doing this one too or is it another developer?

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, lemme get this straight.

Phase 1 is the 9-over-3 building on the NE quadrant of the block (SW corner of Nicholson and 20th), and Phase 2 is a 5-over-1 building on the NW quadrant (SE corner of Lawrence and 20th)? 

That puts the GFR on the corner of Lawrence and 20th?

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Phase 2

YrzxtKv.jpg

Phase 1 and 2 now has a Tadano GR160 RT crane 160 ton capacity to assist, this is the biggest RT crane Tadano makes, it has 200' of main boom and can have 300' with an added jib. We have 3 of them where I work.

7OOLH5p.jpg

D0kHKS0.jpg

• Like 9
  • 3 weeks later...

I love 19th street...have so many memories of hanging out here when i lived in the Heights. I love all the progress but also hope they keep the cool and small town feel 19th has if possible...maybe a good mix of new and old.

I love living in Uptown but the Heights would be my 2nd choice for sure and living this close to 19th street would be ideal!

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...