Apartments By Greystar (2 Phases) At W. 19th St.

s3mh

2 hours ago, hindesky said:

Looks like a tower crane base to me.

GFKNGgG.jpg

That actually looks like a deep foundation tensile load test to me.  (pdf of ASTM test http://www.centurionfondation.com/fr/pdf/ASTM-D3689_07.pdf )Next to the machinery are helical piles. So they might installing helical piles for the crane, and then subsequently load testing it? Either way, its a little odd to me. 

Normally I see those tests done if 1) theres a problem with the foundation you just placed. or 2: you're reusing the "deep foundation" of a previous or existing building. Code requires a load test. I'm skeptical the old chase bank had deep foundation thats useable for a much taller building. 

Maybe they want to load test their helical piles... I dont know. Curious images. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Purdueenginerd said:

That actually looks like a deep foundation tensile load test to me.  (pdf of ASTM test http://www.centurionfondation.com/fr/pdf/ASTM-D3689_07.pdf )Next to the machinery are helical piles. So they might installing helical piles for the crane, and then subsequently load testing it? Either way, its a little odd to me. 

Normally I see those tests done if 1) theres a problem with the foundation you just placed. or 2: you're reusing the "deep foundation" of a previous or existing building. Code requires a load test. I'm skeptical the old chase bank had deep foundation thats useable for a much taller building. 

Maybe they want to load test their helical piles... I dont know. Curious images. 

To my knowledge the chase building is still there. 

The part of the block where they're drilling had a small pavilion but was mostly just paved over. No large building was on it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Purdueenginerd said:

You know more about this than I do, I'm sure you're right.

1 hour ago, EllenOlenska said:

To my knowledge the chase building is still there. 

The part of the block where they're drilling had a small pavilion but was mostly just paved over. No large building was on it. 

Odd. Maybe a procedure they have in place for temporary foundations/Helical Piles. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 11:38 AM, intencity77 said:

The front corner and balconies in the rendering look alright but the many repetitive cut out windows just really kills it for me. It immediately reminded me of the same cut out windows on The Hampton/Homewood Suites Hotel downtown. Also, the modern yet bland minimalist look doesn’t really mesh well with the surrounding “historic” neighborhood. I feel since this current design trend took hold, we have become very closed minded to all other styles. The modern trend just doesn’t translate well in every location, this to me being an example. The height is okay considering there are other tall buildings nearby. 

My first though seeing the rendering was a Holiday Inn. 

Edited by SMU1213

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tuesday, while visiting a friend in The Heights, I saw this. I think this one next to the Greystar is also getting started.

7D4RreT.jpg

gpMVaw8.jpg

This is the one by Meeks & Partners. Do we know if Greystar is doing this one too or is it another developer?

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, lemme get this straight.

Phase 1 is the 9-over-3 building on the NE quadrant of the block (SW corner of Nicholson and 20th), and Phase 2 is a 5-over-1 building on the NW quadrant (SE corner of Lawrence and 20th)? 

That puts the GFR on the corner of Lawrence and 20th?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love 19th street...have so many memories of hanging out here when i lived in the Heights. I love all the progress but also hope they keep the cool and small town feel 19th has if possible...maybe a good mix of new and old.

I love living in Uptown but the Heights would be my 2nd choice for sure and living this close to 19th street would be ideal!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...