BeerNut

Houston Planning on Walkable Places

On 3/9/2018 at 6:28 PM, BeerNut said:

Looks like they want to enlarge parking exempt area.

March meeting

parking.PNG

So are they wanting to expand it throughout Midtown? That doesn't seem like a big change at all. I would exempt all neighborhoods in the Loop. Either way this is pretty interesting because this is literally the tipping point change cities make when they are progressing to a new level of urbanism. There seems to be a more cohesive plan to future development. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

Midtown's a solid first step, I wonder if there's just an assumption that it will result in the least political backlash.

The other obvious option to me is to tie it to the transit corridors, though that would leave out areas that could benefit, like much of Montrose and the Washington corridor. 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2018 at 0:28 PM, samagon said:

how does this deviate from the existing exemption?

forgive my ignorance; can someone tell me what this exemption means?

3 minutes ago, corbs315 said:

forgive my ignorance; can someone tell me what this exemption means?

Businesses won't have a required minimum parking.

On 9/29/2018 at 10:09 PM, EllenOlenska said:

I'm wondering why they don't extend it farther north to where the highway will be, and not where it is currently. Or am I somehow misreading the map?

Red is existing, not new. The measures were taken specifically to impact Midtown and EaDo.

This would really create a nice dense central area of the city. So when would they approve and implement this?

Edited by j_cuevas713

From @HoustonPlanning on Twitter "P&D will present CBD boundary changes to Planning Commission for consideration on Oct 11 at City Hall Annex, 900 Bagby, 2:30 PM. You can sign up to speak on this item at the Commission mtg. If approved, CBD will be renamed Market-Based Parking Area."

What is the likelihood this gets approved? I really hope it does because over time it will create greater density in the city proper. 

Edited by j_cuevas713

There are quite  a few  density residential who probably should have input on this—- luckily next meeting Oct 17 at Trinity Episcopal in Midtown, might be able to express your VIEWZONE?

11 minutes ago, trymahjong said:

There are quite  a few  density residential who probably should have input on this—- luckily next meeting Oct 17 at Trinity Episcopal in Midtown, might be able to express your VIEWZONE?

I thought the vote was on the 11th though?

This is the reply to the email I received...

xxxxx,

Thank you for your comments, I will be presenting the market based parking area to the Planning Commission for their consideration on October 11th, 900 Bagby, 2:30PM. hope to see you there.

*For an expedited review for Planning and Development, please send an email request between 12-3pm to PD.expeditedreview@houstontx.gov 

Hector Rodriguez Administration Manager

On 10/4/2018 at 7:58 AM, BeerNut said:

This is the reply to the email I received...

xxxxx,

Thank you for your comments, I will be presenting the market based parking area to the Planning Commission for their consideration on October 11th, 900 Bagby, 2:30PM. hope to see you there.

*For an expedited review for Planning and Development, please send an email request between 12-3pm to PD.expeditedreview@houstontx.gov 

Hector Rodriguez Administration Manager

Def keeping my attention all day. Are things like this ever streamed online?

Edited by j_cuevas713

I couldn't figure out where to place this but this is great of the COH. I've expressed many times how the Spring St. Taylor crossing is dangerous to pedestrians. I've also submitted countless complaints on 311. Good to see them getting the important data to make these intersections safer for pedestrians. 

“We need to re-address our design standards and start thinking at a policy level,” she said. “We have to think about the support that we’re providing for people and not blame people for incidents that are happening to them.” 

http://swamplot.com/transportation-buffs-are-staking-out-houstons-most-dangerous-intersections-to-better-understand-whats-wrong-with-them/2019-01-31/

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I couldn't figure out where to place this but this is great of the COH. I've expressed many times how the Spring St. Taylor crossing is dangerous to pedestrians. I've also submitted countless complaints on 311. Good to see them getting the important data to make these intersections safer for pedestrians. 

“We need to re-address our design standards and start thinking at a policy level,” she said. “We have to think about the support that we’re providing for people and not blame people for incidents that are happening to them.” 

http://swamplot.com/transportation-buffs-are-staking-out-houstons-most-dangerous-intersections-to-better-understand-whats-wrong-with-them/2019-01-31/

Completely agree. That crossing needs to be completely re-done. Very difficult to cross...and Houston Ave is another one too. I've witnessed two wrecks myself there!

Wow, finally this city is getting its act together! 😮 This is great news! Now eliminate parking mins in EaDo and Midtown 

• Like 1

There's parking minimums in east downtown?

15 minutes ago, cspwal said:

There's parking minimums in east downtown?

For now. They are trying to extend the no parking minimum district from downtown into east downtown and further south into Midtown, but it  hasn't happened yet. 

1 hour ago, wilcal said:

For now. They are trying to extend the no parking minimum district from downtown into east downtown and further south into Midtown, but it  hasn't happened yet. 

There are no parking minimums in the portion of EADO south of Texas Ave and west of Emancipation Ave. Under the city parking ordinance, that is defined as part of the Central Business District.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

There are no parking minimums in the portion of EADO south of Texas Ave and west of Emancipation Ave. Under the city parking ordinance, that is defined as part of the Central Business District.

That is totally right. I forgot that it does stick several blocks into East Downtown!

• Like 1

On 5/1/2019 at 10:15 AM, Texasota said:

These are great improvements over the current code, especially mandatory compliance near transit stops and more stringent site planning standards. However, if I'm reading slide 21 correctly, development in Walkable Place zones will still have to meet 100% of the city's minimum parking requirements. That's disappointing—excessive parking is probably the biggest issue on corridors like Lower Westheimer, but at least with this new ordinance future lots will be placed behind buildings. Requiring additional bike parking doesn't offset the impact of surface parking lots on walkability. I wish the committee would have been a bit bolder here; if we want these Walkable Places to represent something other than the Houston status quo, parking needs to be completely optional.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, lithiumaneurysm said:

These are great improvements over the current code, especially mandatory compliance near transit stops and more stringent site planning standards. However, if I'm reading slide 21 correctly, development in Walkable Place zones will still have to meet 100% of the city's minimum parking requirements. That's disappointing—excessive parking is probably the biggest issue on corridors like Lower Westheimer, but at least with this new ordinance future lots will be placed behind buildings. Requiring additional bike parking doesn't offset the impact of surface parking lots on walkability. I wish the committee would have been a bit bolder here; if we want these Walkable Places to represent something other than the Houston status quo, parking needs to be completely optional.

But see, Slide #49 (I think), "Off-Street Parking Standards".  It seems to provide for reduced (and eliminated) parking requirements at least for some streets (TOD Streets and Primary TOD Streets)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

But see, Slide #49 (I think), "Off-Street Parking Standards".  It seems to provide for reduced (and eliminated) parking requirements at least for some streets (TOD Streets and Primary TOD Streets)

True, which is good. But TOD Streets are a much more limited classification than Walkable Places, which can be created anywhere if property owners support it. TOD Streets are, of course, limited to where fixed transit exists, which doesn't cover much of the city. Better than nothing, though.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, lithiumaneurysm said:

True, which is good. But TOD Streets are a much more limited classification than Walkable Places, which can be created anywhere if property owners support it. TOD Streets are, of course, limited to where fixed transit exists, which doesn't cover much of the city. Better than nothing, though.

So if 19th Street in the Heights were made a Walkable Place, new development would have to have building facades along the street, but would still have to meet minimum parking requirements behind the buildings. That's frustrating.

Unless there's a frequent bus that runs 19th St. I assume there isn't, but if there's one on 20th/Cavalcade then that might do most of the job.

5 minutes ago, Texasota said:

Unless there's a frequent bus that runs 19th St. I assume there isn't, but if there's one on 20th/Cavalcade then that might do most of the job.

Good catch.  And, yes, there is a high-frequency bus route on 20th/Cavalcade.

So frequent buses count as a transit corridor, not just light rail or BRT?

1 hour ago, cspwal said:

So frequent buses count as a transit corridor, not just light rail or BRT?

The slide show is not entirely clear, but I think so.

• Like 1