CrockpotandGravel

Midtown Common @ 2403 Caroline

More about Midtown Common originally discussed in the More Coming to Midtown thread:

On 9/30/2014 at 7:17 AM, phillip_white said:

Anyone know what's up with the lot at Caroline & McGowen?  It's been completely cleared of the overgrown brush and trees, and the gate is locked for the first time that I can remember..  Further investigation reveals that an LLC was formed last year under 2515 Caroline, Ltd.  I hope they get something going before the Caroline street renovation begins!

This might be a good place for a mixed use with a quick casual restaurant or coffee shop anchor, but I'm hoping for anything other than townhouses.

^Is this too much to ask for? :unsure:

On 3/9/2017 at 2:04 PM, Urbannizer said:

Proposed development at Caroline and McGowen dubbed "Midtown Common"

SubdivisionPlatPDF_MidtownCommon.pdf

bLgKmm6.jpg

16 hours ago, corbs315 said:

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

The new development at 2403 Caroline, Midtown Common, is described as such on Facebook:

Midtown Houston's Premier Entertainment Destination coming Fall 2017! 4 different venues will provide great food,unbelievable ambiance, and great nightlife.

The four venues at Midtown Common include restaurants and bar from Dallas and Fort Worth:

- The Social House: a gastropub with 100 beer taps on the wall. (here's one their location's Facebook page)
- Don Chingon - a Tex-Mex restaurant and margarita bar

- Wishful Drinking - a local watering hole
- America Gardens - a beer garden (here's the Forth Worth Facebook page)

• Like 1

There's a Facebook page for America Gardens' Houston location. It's opening in Midtown Common at 2403 Caroline. More from their Facebook description:

America Gardens,Created by the Syn Group will be Midtown Houston's biggest patio restaurant at 15,000 square feet coming Summer 2017!

Pictures of the Fort Worth construction of America Gardens from Instagram         gives an idea of how the Houston location could look.

This is such a big time development. We really couldn't ask for anything better to spur this side of Midtown. Along with the new Caydon building, this is awesome! The next time we host a Super Bowl the people won't recognize the city, AGAIN.

• Like 3

I spoke to the manager of the Salvation Army youth outreach program that is renting the building on this site and he said they have a month to month lease that they were hoping to renew until May.  He hadn't heard anything about the site being developed but heard humors that the ground floor of the former SEARCH building on Fannin was going to be converted into some sort of culinary school.  Can anyone confirm that?

• Like 1

Maybe HCC sublease until their facility is built? Or maybe canceled because now it's actually going to be built?

This is encouraging on two levels.  The most obvious is the enhancement will be well timed for the Caroline street redo and may help to further populate commercial entities along the redesigned street.  The second encouraging sign is that the individuals behind the owning entity, 2515 Caroline Ltd., have mostly been known for land speculation/turnover but are here applying their skills to land development.  I applaud that shift as the thoughtful application of mixed use and commercial/retail will enhance the growing residential community.

From Houstonia:

Midtown Common: Huge plans are in store for the 2400 block of Caroline in Midtown. Syn Group, a hospitality team based out of Dallas, will convert the site at 2403 Caroline into an entertainment district, consisting of four restaurants and bars within walking distance of each other. Established eateries slated for the upcoming development include vibrant gastropub The Social House and the patriotic-themed beer garden America Gardens. Additionally, there will be a Tex-Mex spot and margarita bar called Don Chingnon, along with a neighborhood watering hole named Wishful Drinking. The development is projected to open in 2018.

https://www.houstoniamag.com/articles/2017/5/1/houston-restaurants-to-get-excited-for

• Like 1

Wonderful parcel assemblage. Another place in Midtown within walking distance I'll walk by and never actually go to. 

Rendering posted to Syn Hospitality Group's Facebook page on May 2nd:

Excited about starting construction on America Gardens Midtown Houston! Coming Fall 2017 Midtown Houstons biggest patio in the first phase of Midtown Common. #americagardenshtx#midtownsbiggestpatio #whatsyoursyn#thesyngroup #everybodylovesamerica

18194989_1279466845436515_997203437601474203_n

• Like 7

Looks like an offshoot of Axelrads, 8th Wonder on Hutchins, and the Kirby Ice House all doing incredible business. I'm sure this will attract a crowd also. You can never have too many outdoor ice houses. I wish they had one with a really nice BOCCE court.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bobruss said:

Looks like an offshoot of Axelrads, 8th Wonder on Hutchins, and the Kirby Ice House all doing incredible business. I'm sure this will attract a crowd also. You can never have too many outdoor ice houses. I wish they had one with a really nice BOCCE court.

I don't play but I know Brooklyn Athletic Club has a Bocce court.

• Like 2

New post on the America Gardens Midtown page, higher res images with a new rendering:

The first phase of the Midtown Common Entertainment District opens this fall with America Gardens! We are excited about coming to Midtown Houston this fall! With a scratch kitchen, great beer and drink selection, and plenty of outdoor space we look forward to serving you soon! More updates coming soon! #americagardenshtx #everybodylovesamerica #whatsyoursyn #thesyngroup

If the skyline in the first picture is correct, it appears that car is driving the wrong way down Caroline...

• Like 4

These kinds of venues create a sense of community, a place for interaction, and a place where all kinds of demographics and ages feel comfortable in. Plus they take advantage of a poorly underutilized space. The outdoors. No it doesn't work so well in the rain or 110 temps with no clouds but thats what indoors is for. I'm sure it will be popular and I'm happy to see this type of development.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Houston? said:

I can't see that. Does that have anything to do with Houston?

Not really. It's a video of their Dallas location.

BUT the facebook caption says this, so at least they haven't given up:

This is a little preview of what we are bringing to Midtown next year! 

2 hours ago, Shawn Rao said:

Hey Everyone,

My name is Shawn Rao and I am the owner of the Syn group that is developing the land an making it Midtown Commons. After Harvey we had some delays but we are on schedule to open in mid May, early June hopefully. We plan on opening with America Gardens which will  be a 10,500 square foot patio with 4300 square feet inside. Then a year later open our mexican restaurant Don Chingon, the Social House, and Wishful Drinking to complete the area. We are really looking forward to making this block wonderful and creating synergy amongst the concepts. My business partner were born and raised in Houston and are looking forward to bringing something special back to the city. Hope this helps on updates as in March construction will be moving along nicely. Hope everyone has a good day and hope this helps. 

Hey shawn, I went to high school with you. Small world huh..

3 hours ago, Shawn Rao said:

Hey Everyone,

My name is Shawn Rao and I am the owner of the Syn group that is developing the land an making it Midtown Commons. After Harvey we had some delays but we are on schedule to open in mid May, early June hopefully. We plan on opening with America Gardens which will  be a 10,500 square foot patio with 4300 square feet inside. Then a year later open our mexican restaurant Don Chingon, the Social House, and Wishful Drinking to complete the area. We are really looking forward to making this block wonderful and creating synergy amongst the concepts. My business partner were born and raised in Houston and are looking forward to bringing something special back to the city. Hope this helps on updates as in March construction will be moving along nicely. Hope everyone has a good day and hope this helps. 

Shawn, thanks for coming on and giving us an update from the horses mouth. Sounds like a good plan. I've said since you announced how happy I am with this use of the land. Best news is its East of Main, which has been a sore subject on here. Seemed that all development was happening West of Main.

Now, with this and The Caydon project, looks like things are starting to heat up on the East.

Good luck, and are you related to Tony?

Edited by bobruss

I guess they are back on schedule, as the developer previously mentioned a March construction start.

This was taken yesterday, and there were dump trucks on site this morning around 7AM hauling out dirt and concrete. This will be quite the improvement to this dead zone in East Midtown.

Side note: the owner of the auto body shop next door mentioned a pizzeria might be going in where the CORE Midtown church is currently located.

2018-03-19 16.37.51

• Like 6

Hey Guys,

Shawn Rao here again, the owner of the site. We can't wait to open as soon as possible. I know some guys on the message board are some of the most knowledgeable when it comes to Midtown development. Do any of you know of any plans that are coming around us. We understand we took a less than desirable space but we will transform the area into a vibrant development that Midtown will love. We are committing over 6 million dollars into the development. Does anyone know if there are any plans around the site or in the few block vicinity that will make the neighborhood better. People are telling me that East Midtown will be the next highly developed are but would like your guys input. Thank you. 

• Like 4

To the east of you between Austin and La Branch along McGowen there is slated to be built an 8 story, 71 unit luxury condo, ground to break by August. 

Within 6-8 weeks  Caroline Street  will be redeveloped and streetscaped much like Bagby Street to the West, this will be a progressive development starting at Elgin and moving north.  This will have a major impact on your Caroline facing work.  It appears you have an ingress/egress off Austin and, of course, McIlhenney.

Further changes are afoot in the vicinity which I can discuss with you at joadjr@icloud.com

• Like 5

On 3/22/2018 at 4:00 PM, Shawn Rao said:

Hey Guys,

Shawn Rao here again, the owner of the site. We can't wait to open as soon as possible. I know some guys on the message board are some of the most knowledgeable when it comes to Midtown development. Do any of you know of any plans that are coming around us. We understand we took a less than desirable space but we will transform the area into a vibrant development that Midtown will love. We are committing over 6 million dollars into the development. Does anyone know if there are any plans around the site or in the few block vicinity that will make the neighborhood better. People are telling me that East Midtown will be the next highly developed are but would like your guys input. Thank you. 

http://swamplot.com/caydon-properties-wants-to-build-these-second-and-third-towers-next-to-mcgowen-station-in-midtown/2018-02-22/ 

• Like 1

@Shawn Rao, any updates on this project that you can share? I saw a water injector on site a while back and thought that meant a slab pour would be happening shortly after.

I would assume mid-June is now a bit ambitious for this, but I am hopeful that America Gardens will be open for July 4th.

Of course, as soon as I say something a new machine shows up on site...

2018-05-01 16.40.06

And a pile of wood that looks like it may be for the forms:

2018-05-01 16.40.34

Also, Core Church has departed their spot just behind this on Austin. I guess we'll find out soon if the rumor that a pizzeria is moving in is true.

2018-05-01 16.43.51

2018-05-01 16.43.42

• Like 2

Today I saw workers nailing timber together, presumably for concrete slab forms.

I'm still not clear as to whether this building will be retained and integrated into the project, or demolished. Any insights?

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 3:03 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

95WZlD6.jpg

On 3/22/2018 at 4:00 PM, Shawn Rao said:

Hey Guys,

I can tell you the small office building at 2520 Caroline is being remodeled for initial plans of an upstairs office and downstairs tenant. Atma McGowen is proposed a couple blocks east. There’s an apartment complex planned at 2411 Austin. The big enchilada is the two north towers of Caydon’s development behind the Greenstreet building, as alluded to above.

2 hours ago, houstontexasjack said:

I can tell you the small office building at 2520 Caroline is being remodeled for initial plans of an upstairs office and downstairs tenant. Atma McGowen is proposed a couple blocks east. There’s an apartment complex planned at 2411 Austin. The big enchilada is the two north towers of Caydon’s development behind the Greenstreet building, as alluded to above.

Do you know if the downstairs tenant would be retail? That would complement the Midtown Common project and a huge boost for the street presence in this area.

2411 Austin? That's where the Motorcars Ltd. auto body shop is currently. Or are you referring to the apartments proposed in the 2100 block of Austin at the intersection with Gray?

12 hours ago, phillip_white said:

Do you know if the downstairs tenant would be retail? That would complement the Midtown Common project and a huge boost for the street presence in this area.

2411 Austin? That's where the Motorcars Ltd. auto body shop is currently. Or are you referring to the apartments proposed in the 2100 block of Austin at the intersection with Gray?

The apartments at the 2100 block of Austin—I got confused with addresses.

Not sure what the downstairs tenant will be at 2520 Caroline, I’m afraid. 

On 3/23/2018 at 0:13 PM, Diaspora said:

To the east of you between Austin and La Branch along McGowen there is slated to be built an 8 story, 71 unit luxury condo, ground to break by August. 

Within 6-8 weeks  Caroline Street  will be redeveloped and streetscaped much like Bagby Street to the West, this will be a progressive development starting at Elgin and moving north.  This will have a major impact on your Caroline facing work.  It appears you have an ingress/egress off Austin and, of course, McIlhenney.

Further changes are afoot in the vicinity which I can discuss with you at joadjr@icloud.com

Do you have any further info/thread link about the Caroline redevelopment? Looks like it hasn't started yet as I rode by it a few days ago. 

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:00 PM, Shawn Rao said:

Do any of you know of any plans that are coming around us.

There's a persistent rumor that Rich's (2401 San Jacinto) is adding a swimming pool.

It's been about a month since any changes have been made to the worksite. 
Any theories as to what may be causing the holdup?