First Baptist Church At 1730 Jefferson St.

Sanjorade

I actually meant to put this here a while ago bc it was discussed at the church in January. They are currently at 1010 Lamar (just rent the space) on Sundays. I think this will be a great add for that area of downtown!

The church is expected to close next week on a 40,000-square-foot building owned and occupied by the Communications Workers of America/Local 6222.

Interesting.  That is the poll location for the southern half of downtown - I wonder if it will stay there or move to a more convenient location (like on a rail line or within 2 blocks of a bus stop)

20 hours ago, dml423 said:

I actually meant to put this here a while ago bc it was discussed at the church in January. They are currently at 1010 Lamar (just rent the space) on Sundays. I think this will be a great add for that area of downtown!

Interesting.  Originally they were catty-corner on the First City Tower block.  

Thank goodness this church is taking over that terrible development.Regardless of your beliefs, I've always felt that a church provides a solid anchor for future development. A church brings with it a sense of community and neighborhood. Plus they are usually well kept up with. 

Gross! Enough with the damn big box churches, especially the kind who choose to influence our city's politics/elections and not pay federal taxes. There's already an embarrassing amount of these fugly "sanctuaries" all over town, downtown is just overkill.

13 hours ago, intencity77 said:

Gross! Enough with the damn big box churches, especially the kind who choose to influence our city's politics/elections and not pay federal taxes. There's already an embarrassing amount of these fugly "sanctuaries" all over town, downtown is just overkill.

Sorry thumbs down on your post. There are worst things this can become and a church going here isn't one. You don't have to drive by or visit this facility. Take a chill pill or BC Powder. You act like they're opening a three story crack house. Sheesh, some people just like to b***.

3 hours ago, terra002 said:

This will probably just attract more homeless people to the area. Churches are always giving hand outs to them. Look at the mess around the church on the light rail in the med center. 

There are a few things in life one can count on.  One of them is that a HAIFer will find a cloud to wrap around every silver lining.

4 hours ago, terra002 said:

This will probably just attract more homeless people to the area. Churches are always giving hand outs to them. Look at the mess around the church on the light rail in the med center. 

That church stopped helping the homeless in 2015, so if it's still a mess there it's not their fault.

4 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

There are a few things in life one can count on.  One of them is that a HAIFer will find a cloud to wrap around every silver lining.

^^^ along with death and taxes.  i concur completely.....

I am not a fan of "mega churches" for a litany of reasons that I won't go into here.

But, this church is not a "mega" church.  Yes, it is affiliated with one (i think) but this physical property can seat only 700.  That is a good size and, frankly, I welcome a lively congregation of 700 folks coming to worship and engage in other activities at this location.  I hope that it draws a lot of college students and families into downtown on a Sunday and I hope I find some of those very same folks at the brunch table next to me.

My takeaway:  "welcome to the neighborhood...."

Chron once reported it wasn't catty corner but 1010 Lamar itself:

"In October [2011] the church established downtown services again at the same address as the old church.

The environment has changed much in four decades. The old church was demolished and a new office tower was built at the site, which is near the Fannin intersection.

'When the property downtown was sold, it was written into the contract that we would always be able to use a space in the new building for Bible study,' said Diane Bagby."

http://tonyrosenthal.com/TonyRosenthalBronco.htm

Interesting interior atrium photo from 1981.  Architect Mo Nasr would later be known for finishing KPF's Heritage Plaza tower.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I wonder what demographic they intend to go after with this site? Millenials don't strike me as a church going group and downtown/midtown doesn't seem to have enough senior citizens to fill their pews/coffers.

FaOdylr.jpg

• The title was changed to Houston's First Baptist Church At 1730 Jefferson St.
  • The title was changed to First Baptist Church At 1730 Jefferson St.

Archived