Sign in to follow this  
CrockpotandGravel

2401 N Shepherd

Braun Enterprises is redeveloping the tract of land at 2401 North Shepherd Dr.

XttGYtu.jpg?1

From Houston Business Journal:

Houston-based Braun Enterprises, one of the inner Loop's fastest-growing retail developers, has closed on two assets in bustling neighborhoods.

The company closed on properties at 1415 Richmond Ave. near Montrose and 2401 N. Shepherd Dr. in the Heights, Dan Braun told the Houston Business Journal. The acquisition of the 52,000-square-foot tract of land at 2401 N. Shepherd Dr. is Braun's 20th property purchase in the Greater Heights area, he said.

The Heights asset is currently leased to an auto body shop, Braun said, and the developer will keep the property as-is while the tenant is operating.

It's labeled as the Heights HEB Shadow Anchored Center on Loopnet (archived link):

Prime space on southeast corner of 24th Street and N. Shepherd Drive; adjacent to brand new Heights HEB.
Total Space Available: 24,155 SF
Lot Size: 1.05 AC

5KByxzZ.jpg

The marketing brochure:

L5WQcwZ.jpg

FSNJ7LN.jpg

6bGfxz6.jpg

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

The renderings don't show what the parking on the roof will look like. It's pretty shielded from the ground level, which is nice.

And now there is only one corner of this intersection that remains open for redevelopment - the southwest corner where The Copper Penny resides.  The Copper Penny has been a mystery since we moved in the hood 12 years ago.  It looks like its been there for ages, but I've not seen anyone eat there or heard of anyone eating there.    

http://swamplot.com/shadowy-retail-block-by-heights-h-e-b-will-go-off-the-grid-hide-parking-behind-and-on-top/2017-03-02/

On 2/27/2017 at 2:51 PM, andre154 said:

The renderings don't show what the parking on the roof will look like. It's pretty shielded from the ground level, which is nice.

The new renderings shows the roof parking, @andre154

• Like 1

More on 2401 N Shepherd from Houston Business Journal:

Braun Enterprises, an inner-Loop developer best known for its retail projects, is planning an ambitious two-story ground-up retail development at Shepherd Drive and West 24th Street in the Heights.

The Houston-based company will build a 24,000-square-foot retail development at 2401 N. Shepherd. Zach Wolf with Braun Enterprises is handling the developer's leasing in-house. He's talking with "national players" for the development, per a Braun spokesperson. Renderings show space allocated for tenants such as a ramen restaurant, a high-end fitness studio, a nail salon, a pizzeria, a Mexican restaurant and more.

Second-story parking will be included in the project, the spokesperson said. It'll offer around 150 spots.

Braun will demolish Miller's Auto Body Repair Experts and other commercial structures that currently operate at the site. Demolition should start in late 2018, and the retail project is poised to deliver in early 2019. Houston-based Tipps Architecture Inc. is the architect on the project.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2017/03/08/exclusive-see-a-houston-developers-latest-plans.html

So, the property is going to just sit there until late next year? That's a little disappointing.

Confirmation on Lovett Dental at 2401 N Shepherd

The 2016 announcement by H-E-B that they would open a new location at the site of the old Fiesta in the Heights at 23rd Street and North Shepherd, has driven an uptick in activity on an already busy corridor. Braun Enterprises purchased 1.05 acres at 2401 North Shepherd at the corner of 24th and N Shepherd in the fall of 2016. The first announced tenant for the complex is Lovett Dental. Their marketing flyer shows more than 20,000 square feet of available space for lease.

http://theleadernews.com/november-business-briefs-sweet-cup-opens-and-more/

This place used to be a shoe repair shop back in the 50s. Whenever we went north out Shepherd, I would always check out the placard in the window for Cat's Eye rubber heels, knowing that it was going to scare the crap out of me. The cat in the picture had such an evil look, and his eyes followed you when you passed.
It was quite a big deal to a 4-year-old.

imageproxy.php.jpg

cats-paw.jpg

Edited by Heights2Bastrop

Their rendering with a tenant named "Pizza Oven" gives me hope that, finally, we can get just one more pizza place stuffed in on North Shepherd.

23 hours ago, JJxvi said:

Their rendering with a tenant named "Pizza Oven" gives me hope that, finally, we can get just one more pizza place stuffed in on North Shepherd.

then let's rename shepherd PIZZA AVENUE!   I already have the jingle figured out to court more places to get a pie...

Down in the street there is violence
And a lots of work to be done
No place to hang out our washing
And I can't blame all on the sun, oh no

We gonna rock down to PIZZA Avenue
And then we'll take it higher

Oh we gonna rock down to PIZZA Avenue

Workin' so hard like a soldier
Can't afford a thing on TV
Deep in my heart I'm a warrior
Can't get food for them kid, good God

Oh we gonna rock down to PIZZA Avenue

Oh no
Oh no
Oh no
Oh no
Who is to blame in one country
Never can get to the one
Dealin' in multiplication
And they still can't feed everyone, oh no

• Haha 1

https://www.virtualbx.com/construction-preview/houston-braun-enterprises-clears-planning-commission-on-north-shepherd-square/

Houston (Harris County) – Braun Enterprises obtained a building line variance for the company’s latest commercial project, a shopping center in Greater Heights.

The Planning Commission agreed at its May 10 session to reduce the building line requirement along North 24th Street for the North Shepherd Square development, located at the northwest corner of the West 24th Street and Shepherd Drive intersection.

Braun Enterprises claimed to need to variance reducing the building line from the street by 5 feet to provide ordinance compliant on-site parking.

“Furthermore, by shifting the building forward, it creates a more walkable pedestrian realm that is in keeping with the city’s “Walkable Places” initiatives, while building synergy with the urban-styled HEB development under construction across Shepherd Drive,” the planning department staff report stated.

VBX reported in November 2016 that HEB Grocery Company was building a two-story supermarket in the 2300 block of North Shepherd. The Braun Enterprises project is cater-corner from the grocery store.

Braun Enterprises plans to construction two buildings. Building 1 will be two stories and have a total area of 13,956 square feet, plus a patio area of 1,160 square feet. Building 2 will have a total area of 10,573 square feet, plus a patio area of 508 square feet, according to the site plans.

The reported gross area is 24,529 square feet, of which 6,264 square feet will be dedicated for restaurant uses.

The center is being designed to include surface and structured parking for a total of 155 spaces.

Over/under on how long the tire place across 24th from HEB lasts? (Need to know 'cause I'm also due for a new set.)

From the drawings in the planning commission agenda, it looks like the parking along 24th will be parallel instead of angle-in, allowing for a sidewalk and landscape strip between the facade and the parking. (The rendering above has zero space between car bumber and building.)

This project is back on this week's agenda (will be deferred, it looks like), seeking another tweak to the building line along 24th. By reducing the 24th St building line another 2-ft in the back corner, they squeeze in 3 more ground floor parking spaces.

6 hours ago, Angostura said:

Over/under on how long the tire place across 24th from HEB lasts? (Need to know 'cause I'm also due for a new set.)

IDK, i hope they last a while!  other than their encroachment into the alley with their building by about 10 feet, and them blocking the sidewalk with their tire cart during the day, they're great!  i use them a lot for mounting tires ordered online.  actually i need to swing by there this week to have them mount the new spare tire for my 71 bronco.