The Jones On Main: Office Building At 708/712 Main St.

Texasota

On 3/3/2018 at 10:19 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Downtown in general. Downtown has come a long ways from its dreary days in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Places like this, nightlife, sports complexes, residential, and better public transportation through light rail were key in today's transformation. Finn Hall is not on equal footing as Lyric Market in size and variety, but this will be cool on its own.

It really has and we can expect so much more for downtown in the next few years. Downtown isn't an afterthought anymore. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

If Conservatory is a food court for adults (dark, cavernous, beer garden, unfriendly to baby strollers) then Finn Hall has an opportunity to become a food court for families (bright, open, ice cream, easily accessible). The restaurant lineup is exciting. Fingers crossed on this one. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Yes but now the real question is... how late will any of these places be open? Are these all lunch time hour places for downtown workers or will any of these places be open for dinner?

1 hour ago, Triton said:

Yes but now the real question is... how late will any of these places be open? Are these all lunch time hour places for downtown workers or will any of these places be open for dinner?

I can't imagine they would pay the rents they are paying if they were not open for dinner. Nor would that justify the cost of this renovation. The rents being paid and level of finish-out invested in restaurants in this area (new steakhouse at The Star and new upper-end restaurant space at BoA) show that central downtown has left its lunch-only days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Triton said:

Conservatory is open late (very late, sometimes).  Having a bar or two in there just about guarantees that this will be, too - our day drinkers are already pretty well taken care of in various dives and hotels.

• Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 9:54 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Time lapse video of the construction of Finn Hall inside The Jones on Main at 712 Main in downtown Houston.

The video is from Andy Simpson, co-owner of Oz Rey, Finn Hall's developers.

On the website, there's a June expectant opening date for Finn Hall.

The big, slightly off-center a/c duct really ties the room together.

I love that this is coming here, but comparing the architecture of this building's other first-floor spaces to this makes me sad for our era.

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:42 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

When is it expected to open?

Curious myself. This is obviously a big buildout, but it seems to be dragging through the finish pretty slowly. 

Edited by Nate99
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm not too concerned with their being over-saturation. Finn Hall and Conservatory are more casual options, while Bravery and especially Lyric Market, appear to be going for the more upscale experience. There's plenty going on downtown these days to support them all, and I think that Lyric and Bravery will draw people in town. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I made a lunch excursion there today, and got an oyster poboy from Low Tide.  For its first day being open and the place being totally slammed it's pretty OK - the oysters were a bit hammered, but I mark that up to being a lower volume item on opening day.  Sit Low's plates looked awesome; Nice Pie was the only place not serving yet.

• Like 1