The Jones On Main: Office Building At 708/712 Main St.

Texasota

Great new!  I wait at the light rail stop across from the old Gulf Building four days a week & I've been wondering what will be going in.  The MFAH had a walking tour to support Sculpted In Steel & we got to check the building out.  The bank lobby is spectacular & will probably remain as it is. The corner being reno'd was originally Foley's.  Also liked the frescos mentioned in the article--here's Modern Houston!   

gulf7.jpg.255ec5cd5d6609f5771f33bab2e02be5.jpg

Edited by MaggieMay
  • Like 7

The dining and drinking concepts will be located in the grand lobby of the building.

Does this mean the food hall is going to be in the banking hall? 20,000 SF is almost half an acre, so that sounds like the banking hall. Hard to believe, but I could understand them deciding that devoting 20,000 SF to in-person banking just isn't the most income-generating use of space in 2017.

gulf8.jpg

It would be the Art Deco version of Hogwarts.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, largeTEXAS said:

Nah, food hall will be at the corner of Main and Rusk, the original Sakowitz space. It's gonna be gooooorgeous!

Works for me. Have our cake and eat it too. I know the Sakowitz space was converted into offices - wonder what the ceiling heights are like, or if they remove any ceilings they added in and open it up a bit. Very unfamiliar with that part of the building, unfortunately.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2017 at 8:40 AM, H-Town Man said:

Works for me. Have our cake and eat it too. I know the Sakowitz space was converted into offices - wonder what the ceiling heights are like, or if they remove any ceilings they added in and open it up a bit. Very unfamiliar with that part of the building, unfortunately.

The ceilings are enormous. Maybe 25' or more. Can't wait to see it all shined up. The build out is going to be sick!

• Like 5

• The title was changed to 708 / 712 Main Renovation - The Jones on Main
  • 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

The food hall coming to The Jones on Main at 712 Main may not be named The Food Hall at Main and Rusk after all. According to Downtown Houston 2nd Quarter Market Overview, the food hall will be named Finn Hall.

From the market overview:

Finn Hall is set to open in early 2018 at 712 Main in The Jones on Main. The 20,000-SF food hall will feature a dozen chef-driven food outlets, a craft beer and curated wine bar, an art deco cocktail lounge, and private spaces. The food hall will serve breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Here's the website for Finn Hall
http://www.finnhallhtx.com/

Named for Alfred C. Finn, the architect, and kind of a play on Jones Hall. I like.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this article from back in May 2017 from the Houston Chronicle saying that a new food hall is being added in the building. Set to open early next year. Looking forward to going just so I can admire the inside of what used to be Texas Commerce bank. I remember going to Texas Commerce with my mom when I was little and thinking "wow, this must be what a palace looks like", lol. Here is the link: http://www.chron.com/entertainment/restaurants-bars/article/New-food-hall-set-for-downtown-Houston-11141556.php#photo-12890948

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wait wait wait wait. So they are going to include the banking hall as part of the food hall? Because that is definitely not shown on the floorplan.

Don't get me wrong; I potentially support it. It would double the size of the food hall for one thing.

But they had better not screw it up. That space is too good.

• Like 3