The Jones On Main: Office Building At 708/712 Main St.

Texasota

59 minutes ago, Nole23 said:

Mr Nice Pie inside Finn Hall closes

"Finn Hall has lost its first food vendor. Mr. Nice Pie, the downtown food hall's pizza restaurant, has closed. A spin-off of Montrose's Love Buzz pizzeria, Mr. Nice Pie served oversized pizza slices and whole pies. The owners of Mr. Nice Pie have yet to respond to CultureMap's request for comment about why the restaurant closed or what's next; we will update this article if they do. "

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/03-19-19-mr-nice-pie-finn-hall-pizza-vendor-closed-downtown-food-hall/?fbclid=IwAR2R1_0MFp4DKUQrFznV7n0o6fypq7OmKSoZZrgeT2IsXr_sy9xEQCuP9Ps

They were open maybe one time out of the 20 or so that I have been there.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, downtownian said:

I had a mediocre slice of $8 pizza there.

I never tried that place, seems like they weren't ready at the opening with their oven out of commission. I imagine the vendors are paying premium rent, they better have a premium product that they can charge a lot for to make it up and stay in business. Decent pizza is pretty cheap to make, and you could already find that in three places within a three block walk of Finn Hall.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

This is NOT a Jones at Main, this is 702 Main. Please start a thread for 702 Main and keep this this thread about Jones on Main (located at 708 Main and 712 Main) only. Thanks.

Mods please move this to its own thread. @Urbannizer, @Triton, @intencity77, @Subdude

Done. 

30 minutes ago, Texasota said:

Wait wait wait. I thought part of the point of the "Jones at Main" branding was to clarify that the Gulf Building and the Great Jones Building (702 Main) were joined under the same ownership?

You are correct.  Or at least the people who operate The Jones On Main (and presumably also the people who own it), seem to be under the impression that the Shake Shack space is part of The Jones on Main.  The entire block is under common ownership and is included in the retail marketing materials for The Jones on Main.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

Yep, owned by Lionstone Investments and redeveloped by them and Midway. Shake Shack is at the ground level of The Great Jones Building therefore it is a part of The Jones on Main.

I went ahead and merged back into the original thread @Triton @CrockpotandGravel

Oh ok, sounds good.

Shake Shack took down the construction walls that extended out on to the sidewalk. The interior looks close too, looks like they are working on computer systems and whatnot, the screens in the kitchen area were on and there were workers stringing cable when I walked by earlier today.

I would guess they will be up and running in a couple of weeks. 

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, mollusk said:

Me, too... and that was after passing by the similar lines for the two places that are open in Understory.  

59 minutes ago, CaptainJilliams said:

Good to see they are getting some traffic! I figured they would.

And you know somebody that is reasonably business savvy is looking at that and saying...hmm Now if only I can capture some of that long line traffic. This is how you get more and more retail. At some point there is a threshold to how long people are willing to wait and will go to the next best option.

I think sometimes we forget just how many people work downtown. Now we are starting to keep them here instead of them going out of downtown for lunch. Long lines like this are a great sign that people want things close to work and that retail here is possible. It just wasn't demonstrated for so long. Now its very visible.

EDIT: By the way. This is why we have so many stuff lining our highways. Traffic on highways is actually good for business. A packed highway is like the vehicle form of foot traffic. Now we are getting "traffic" at the human scale, and hopefully this gets followed up with even more things just like packed highways brings a lot of good business to those on feeder roads and off ramps.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 4

Shake Shack did their homework, I'm sure, and they are a very popular brand that seems to be strategically expanding. That they chose DT is a very good sign and hopefully other brands of their caliber will follow suit.  The Rice Village type tenants that the other location is around might not be that far off. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...