Texasota

708 / 712 Main Renovation - The Jones on Main

1 hour ago, j_cuevas713 said:

http://swamplot.com/where-a-new-shake-shack-might-be-headed-downtown-next-to-finn-hall/2019-01-10/

This article should go in a separate thread but Shake Shack is coming downtown just down the street from Finn Hall

A second Shake Shack downtown!  And presumably, open for more than 81-93 days a year with no cover price to get in

• Like 1

Downtown is alive, It has a pulse, a heartbeat and has been taken off life support systems.

Every time I go downtown on any day there are many more people walking, riding bikes, eating and drinking, in the bars and restaurants

and the parks and Avenida de las Americas are always crowded!!!!

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 5

Drop a ton of cash (tax incentives) on another neighborhood and it would likely be alive, too.

6 minutes ago, gmac said:

Drop a ton of cash (tax incentives) on another neighborhood and it would likely be alive, too.

Is that a bad thing? lol

6 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Is that a bad thing? lol

Yes, when it benefits those who don't need the help. Spend the money on low-income housing so less-wealthy people can enjoy the benefits. How many of these subsidized projects are even remotely affordable to the bulk of Houstonians?

• SkyHouse Houston
  • Block 334
  • SkyHouse Main
  • The Star
  • Market Square Tower
  • Aris Market Square

I understand your concerns. I couldn't live down town now, and live like I do where I currently live.

But try finding a closet in Manhattan that's affordable.

I'm just happy someone else is sleeping downtown besides the street people and inmates in the county jail.

The idea behind the subsidy is that it pays for itself and thensome through increasing the tax base in the long run.  The subsidy was thought to be necessary to get the first new residential projects going, which would pay higher taxes in the long run, and to spurn new projects without a subsidy.

• Like 3

A side effect of the new, fancy housing is the existing housing had to lower their prices to compete - Houston House's rents have gone down by hundreds of dollars since the Skyhouse duo opened

• Like 1

Wow.  So, the incentives have lead to not only more housing options, but some more affordable housing options, as well. 

• Sad 1

Some of it may because there were more rental options downtown, and some of it may have been renovations being done (they replaced all the elevators, and that is a special hell that I would not wish on anyone), but after everything is done the rental prices are all less than what I originally signed a lease for in 2013

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Walked through Finn Hall around 8pm and there was a decent crowd and they had a musician playing a guitar.   Prices were about what I expected for a place like this. The clientele looked like people staying out late after work and people on dates.  

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/travel/places-to-visit.html

Finn Hall was featured here as part of Houston being on the list of 52 places to visit in 2019. We are number 46 (don't believe its a ranking, but just a running list). Pretty good company honestly, though I think the reasons for Houston are a tad lazy. The GQ article about us was a lot more honest portrayal and really dug into what is actually exciting about the city today. Clearly we are coming to the forefront of the Food Hall boom over the past couple years and more are coming. ITs exciting to see how much the city has not only rebound, but is starting to really get into the national conversation in many areas.

I’m surprised that food halls are a major draw or even worth mentioning. We’re 3-5 years behind the food hall trend compared to NY or Chicago. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 10:34 AM, Naviguessor said:

Wow.  So, the incentives have lead to not only more housing options, but some more affordable housing options, as well. 

$1089 for 492 square feet.

Yowza, I'm glad you think that's affordable.

10 hours ago, gmac said:

$1089 for 492 square feet.

Yowza, I'm glad you think that's affordable.

That IS pretty cheap actually. If this is what the incentives made possible then I would say they did subsidize “affordable” housing. A person living in an $1100 a month apartment is probably not rich, probably working class. My first apartment in Houston 23 years ago was $800. It was larger than this but the location was terrible.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jgriff said:

That IS pretty cheap actually. If this is what the incentives made possible then I would say they did subsidize “affordable” housing. A person living in an $1100 a month apartment is probably not rich, probably working class. My first apartment in Houston 23 years ago was $800. It was larger than this but the location was terrible.

You can find stuff below 1000 in good areas if you know where to look. Just about to move to a new place. New place in Montrose will be 925, and my old place in Montrose was 875. These are not terrible places either. Just old houses that have been turned into apartments. As more and more midrises get built its only going to drop from there. 

• Like 2