The Jones On Main: Office Building At 708/712 Main St.

Texasota

Vy65, *why* did you think it was overpriced and overrated? Which vendors did you try? What was your criticism? Were the prices high for the amount of food, or compared to similar businesses elsewhere in the city? Were there issues with preparation - were things over or under-cooked? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Texasota said:

Vy65, *why* did you think it was overpriced and overrated? Which vendors did you try? What was your criticism? Were the prices high for the amount of food, or compared to similar businesses elsewhere in the city? Were there issues with preparation - were things over or under-cooked? 

$14 for two tacos from Goode Company is outrageous. $7 for a slice of pepperoni from Mr. Nice Pie is outrageous. I had the tacos but not the pizza since the pizza oven was down. 

Compared to the Tacos a Go Go location downtown, Goode Co.'s prices were nearly double for an inferior product. 

It's not just those two stands either. $14 for a falafel sandwich during brunch (Oddball) or $13 for a grilled tofu bowl are also ridiculous. 

It's a couple of bucks and ultimately not a big deal if the food were good. But the food was average and the servings were far from abundant.   

It's comical that whenever someone airs some criticism, the immediate reaction is to flay them as though they were some pariah. I hate to break it to the posters here, but, predictably, the experience at a glorified mall food court really is just below-average. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Vy65 said:

$14 for two tacos from Goode Company is outrageous. $7 for a slice of pepperoni from Mr. Nice Pie is outrageous. I had the tacos but not the pizza since the pizza oven was down. 

Compared to the Tacos a Go Go location downtown, Goode Co.'s prices were nearly double for an inferior product. 

It's not just those two stands either. $14 for a falafel sandwich during brunch (Oddball) or $13 for a grilled tofu bowl are also ridiculous. 

It's a couple of bucks and ultimately not a big deal if the food were good. But the food was average and the servings were far from abundant.   

It's comical that whenever someone airs some criticism, the immediate reaction is to flay them as though they were some pariah. I hate to break it to the posters here, but, predictably, the experience at a glorified mall food court really is just below-average. 

YEESH.

People are still going to have food delivered if the prices are that high. 

• Like 1

I peeked in for a look around lunchtime.  Didn't stay for anything to eat, but wow.  It's a great looking space completely unique in downtown (so far). Lot's of energy and the pictures don't do it justice. Great amenity for both downtown workers and residents.  Looking forward to some late nite Mala Schezuan soon.

On 12/5/2018 at 11:31 AM, Vy65 said:

I think it has to do with the locations that they are at, since I'm sure the rent prices there are high. I too was shocked when I spent $28 for Vietnamese food at Sit Lo there. That was just for a bowl of pho and "Vietnamese tots".... which really confused my Vietnamese fiance but that's another matter entirely. Overall, I think you're going to have to pay a lot more because of it's location and you can bring a large group of friends here, as I did, and they can have the option to eat whatever they want. That's another plus. The vibe and atmosphere is great too... especially the upstairs bar lounge.

Are there any historic pictures of this space?  I went last night.  They preserved the original terrazzo and the columns appear to have the original stone.  There was also an original railing and air grate up in Swallow's Nest.  Other than that, very few historic details left.

I didn't pay attention to my meal price, but my friend did note her meal was $20 for a cheeseburger, onion rings, and a tea. 

A homeless man came in towards the end of our meal and asked if he could help clear our table.  I imagine they have some sort of control for this.  

Additionally, the pizza place was still closed.  Not sure what is going on there. 

39 minutes ago, Triton said:

I think it has to do with the locations that they are at, since I'm sure the rent prices there are high. I too was shocked when I spent $28 for Vietnamese food at Sit Lo there. That was just for a bowl of pho and "Vietnamese tots".... which really confused my Vietnamese fiance but that's another matter entirely. Overall, I think you're going to have to pay a lot more because of it's location and you can bring a large group of friends here, as I did, and they can have the option to eat whatever they want. That's another plus. The vibe and atmosphere is great too... especially the upstairs bar lounge.

You may very well be right on the reason fro $28 pho (which is absurd), but the space/vibe/etc... doesn't come close to justifying the price tag. Hopefully Lyric market pans out better.

A fair argument for sure. A lot of it does come down to location and convenience, but at the end of the day, the only way these food venues can do business is if customers value the food more than they value their money. Time will only tell how successful Finn is.

I'll have to swing by sometime this weekend and see for myself.  

On 12/5/2018 at 11:31 AM, Vy65 said:

Its not that you are being called out for being critical, its that your criticism seems misplaced, and I would say bordering on arrogance. It just comes off as if you are the only client they need to please to be successful, or how dare they cater to a clientele/lifestyle that isn't your own, or how dare they price a taco when you know it should be priced by your subjective standard. I wonder if you went to a McDonald's and you would grade the place the same as a high end fancy restaurant. We also have no clue who you are or what the context was, etc... Not to mention you kind of have a rep of being a bit hyperbolic on this forum. Excuse people for maybe not taking you a bit seriously.

I don't know why you or some people are surprised. Just look at the interiors. Look at the building it is in and the locale. Notice the scarcity of options around it. Notice it's one of kind in some aspects. Look at the hipsterish names for each place. If it were a rattlesnake it would have bit you in the rear and stole your overpriced food at the same time! It was destined to be exactly what you are saying. My reaction to when I first read your post was "gee how perceptive of you. *sarcasm*" Its clearly catered to high-rise living downtown dwellers that have some bucks to throw around, or your in-town suburbanites looking to have a big night on the town. Its not trying to compete with areas around it. Instead its trying to compete with Uptown.

You might be right on the prices or the quality of the food (haven't been yet), but you are being a bit of a Captain Obvious with a slight bout of rage. Let people pay what they want to pay and let it play itself out or people will leave and it fails. I hope it doesn't though. I'm always on the side of more development, more new things, and in general more success for the city whether its for my lifestyle or others. 

Edited by Luminare

37 minutes ago, Vy65 said:

Sorry to hurt your feelings bro. I won’t mock the overpriced, underwhelming tacos at the glorified mall food court. You clearly need this so go ahead and die on that hill.

At least the "overpriced, underwhelming tacos" have economic value and are in demand. As for you? I'm not so sure.

I get that everyone wishes the place was cheaper. The reality is that right next door there is a hotel with out of towners who will gladly pay that simply because of the experience. I went this past wknd and I honestly don't see this place slowing down. Not to mention that the other food halls being built are going to be really popular. Downtown has an energy about it now that it never had before. Pretty exciting. 

Went today.  Place was packed at 1 pm.  I liked it.  Good crowd.  Mostly 20-and-30-ish folks.  Good beer .  Good food.  Good crowd.  So far, a success, it seems.

On 12/13/2018 at 2:14 PM, Nate99 said:

There are cheaper options out there to be sure, but not as many as there used to be. There are $11 grilled chicken salads for takeout in the tunnels. 

True.

and even la Calle — the best joint in town - I think, may have raised prices a bit.

On 12/13/2018 at 2:40 PM, j_cuevas713 said:

I get that everyone wishes the place was cheaper. The reality is that right next door there is a hotel with out of towners who will gladly pay that simply because of the experience. I went this past wknd and I honestly don't see this place slowing down. Not to mention that the other food halls being built are going to be really popular. Downtown has an energy about it now that it never had before. Pretty exciting. 

Definitely agree. I'm looking forward to stopping by at some point. I was on Main Street Friday night, and its amazing right now. It feels like a busy bustling city when I'm down there. Looking forward to more of downtown and other places getting this kind of activity.

Edited by Luminare

Just now, Luminare said:

Definitely agree. I'm looking forward to stopping by at some point. I was on Main Street Friday night, and its amazing right now. It feels like a busy bustling city when I'm down there. Looking forward to more of downtown and other places getting this kind of activity.

Hell yeah! And we aren't even close to downtown becoming what it needs to be. 

On 12/17/2018 at 1:07 PM, Luminare said:

Yea downtown is amazing right now. Took a date to the Nutcracker on Friday and there were tons of people walking around the theater district and then we ventured over to a few bars on Main street and it was packed as well. Downtown is definitely moving in the right direction. Exciting times.