Rita

RedScare

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thought you guys may find this interesting, this came straight from the top-

JSC buildings were not designed to withstand winds and weather associated with a hurricane.

The MCC-H does not provide for any special protection to personnel or equipment beyond what is considered normal for the Houston area. Therefore, the MCC-H will be shut down when a general evacuation order has been given.

Operations for the ISS can be transferred immediately to the BCC and Houston personnel can be released when JSC is set to close.

sorry, had to run to a meeting...

JSC i hoped you would know, Johnson Space Center NASA.

MCC-H Mission Control Center - Houston

BCC Backup Control Center, in this case it will be MCC-Moscow.

Now i hear the mayor of kemah, clear lake shores, and other Zone A communities are starting a mandatory evac Wednesday at 6pm. Zone B Thursday at 2am.

thought you guys may find this interesting, this came straight from the top-

JSC buildings were not designed to withstand winds and weather associated with a hurricane.

The MCC-H does not provide for any special protection to personnel or equipment beyond what is considered normal for the Houston area.  Therefore, the MCC-H will be shut down when a general evacuation order has been given.

Operations for the ISS can be transferred immediately to the BCC and Houston personnel can be released when JSC is set to close.

Mission Control is not built to withstand a cat 3 or 4 hurricane???

Insane.

Just back from the plywood wars. There was a sense of urgency in the aisles. Not due to the hurricane bearing down on us but due to the scramble for plywood. The spirit was one of cooperation despite the urgency and everyone was helping each other load the awkward sheets onto the roll-away carts.

Lowes Gulfgate was out of everything except the high-end cabinet stuff. I got lucky and got the last 7 sheets at $28 each. All that remained was the $35-$45 stuff. Ouch!

The water machine at the corner was temporarily dry as cars parked every which way considering their next move. Quickee mart was out of 1 gallon jugs.

I feel much better now knowing that , of course, it will now, after all that expense and work, more than likely miss us completely. :rolleyes:

It was constructed back in the sixties - so little thought was given to Hurricanes back then...

i was still shocked. it was founded in '61, but i think most of it was built after Carla. and many of the building at KSC were constructed in the 60's to withstand hurricanes, but they are more frequent in FL...

Just back from the plywood wars. There was a sense of urgency in the aisles. Not due to the hurricane bearing down on us but due to the scramble for plywood. The spirit was one of cooperation despite the urgency and everyone was helping each other load the awkward sheets onto the roll-away carts.

Lowes Gulfgate was out of everything except the high-end cabinet stuff. I got lucky and got the last 7 sheets at $28 each. All that remained was the $35-$45 stuff. Ouch!

The water machine at the corner was temporarily dry as cars parked every which way considering their next move. Quickee mart was out of 1 gallon jugs.

I feel much better now knowing that , of course, it will now, after all that expense and work, more than likely miss us completely. :rolleyes:

im not hearing all the exclusive news that yall are so can u fill me in on the predictions? are they expecting it to hit further south? i sure hope so

They have moved the center of the predicted strike zone a little south, but not much. And with a large category 3 or 4 storm coming in between Matgorda Bay and Freeport, Houston would not be totally out of the clear. We could still see a lot of rain and hurricane force winds. Such a landfall would also put us in the storm's northeast quadrant, where the most severe weather is.

I'm currently debating my plan of action. Right now I'm in Alabama, flying home about noon on Friday. Depending on what the forecast looks like tomorrow evening I may change my flight to Thursday evening and come home early so that I can run home and take care of a few things and then get out of town first thing Friday morning.

So Danax, there is still wood at Gulfgate, just not the cheap stuff?

My stupid boyfriend spent Tuesday helping a friend prepare for the storm instead of our house. He's a firefighter so he's working today. Tomorrow he's going to try to find wood. I don't care what he pays for it, as long as he gets it.

So Danax, there is still wood at Gulfgate, just not the cheap stuff?

My stupid boyfriend spent Tuesday helping a friend prepare for the storm instead of our house. He's a firefighter so he's working today. Tomorrow he's going to try to find wood. I don't care what he pays for it, as long as he gets it.

At Lowes, all that was left was the 3/4" oak at $36 and the, I believe, 1/2" pressure treated at $45. It looked like a lot of people were standing around deciding whether to pay that much or not. There was also MDF, which was thick but no one seemed to be willing to give it a shot. There is also lots of dimensional lumber still there and I'm assuming that will start be grabbed today as, although more expensive and laborious to install, would do.

Well, since there's no plywood left, I suppose I will not be boarding up. :mellow:

However, a friend has an office in a warehouse downtown...on the second floor. It seems to be the sturdiest structure among us. Our tentative plan is to hole up there. It is also just a few blocks from several hotels, so if it gets dicey, we'll head to one of the hotel bars. :rolleyes:

I want to stay in the city, because I have doubts about getting back in once the storm passes through. You know how those freeways get. Even my 4 wheel drive might not make it. B)

If Rita hits the Houston area, how bad do you think it will hurt the economy? Alician was just a tropical storm and it caused 5 billion worth of damage, how much will Rita be? Are you guys worried about the Houston area and how people could say "I am leaving the area for good."?

If Rita hits the Houston area, how bad do you think it will hurt the economy? Alician was just a tropical storm and it caused 5 billion worth of damage, how much will Rita be? Are you guys worried about the Houston area and how people could say "I am leaving the area for good."?

considering that houston's infastructure is far superior to NOLA's and our economy is much stronger, i would say no.

Archived