Hey guys, 

A documentary I was lucky to be a part of has just released a few of the segments on YouTube. The basic subject of the film is guns and gun owners in Texas, and covers a range of issues from campus carry to open carry, and why some people do or do not agree on these issues.

The segment I am featured in is titled "Hip Hop And Guns" and can be seen in the link below. The camera crew came to my home in Midtown and caught some footage of the Metro Rail and a couple of skyline shots.

So give it a view and enjoy! Thanks for watching ;)

I'm reading an NRA book called, Guns, Crime and Freedom. The gun debate would end today if everyone read at least the first two chapters.

It shows writings from the founding fathers about their thoughts on guns and their purpose.

They wrote that they're for self defense and that the militia in the 2nd amendment was clearly NOT a standing army, but is us the people so we can defend ourselves from an out of control government. Clear as day. It was published a long time ago but the arguments and principles are the same.

14 minutes ago, lockmat said:

I'm reading an NRA book called, Guns, Crime and Freedom. The gun debate would end today if everyone read at least the first two chapters.

It shows writings from the founding fathers about their thoughts on guns and their purpose.

They wrote that they're for self defense and that the militia in the 2nd amendment was clearly NOT a standing army, but is us the people so we can defend ourselves from an out of control government. Clear as day. It was published a long time ago but the arguments and principles are the same.

Exactly Lock! Thats always been my argument. I actually went into detail about the founding fathers and everything you just touched on, but they did some heavy editing.

Overall I'm happy with the final product, it was a fun little piece to film.

The militia was supposed to be the replacement for having a standing army - in the time of need to defend the nation, the idea was you call up the militia, who have supposedly been trained and all have armed themselves.  In addition to this national defense roll, it would be the last check on the government.  In many failed democracies, the government is ousted by a military coup.  Now imagine that, but the military = the people.  It makes the last stop gap against tyranny more democratic.

Of course, like some of the other stuff in the Constitution, this immediately fell by the wayside.  One of the earlier acts of Congress was to organize the national militia.  It never got called up well, and by the time of the Civil War it was replaced with two systems: the organized militia (National Guard) and the unorganized militia (every citizen in the country, who is technically a member).  I don't think it's been mentioned officially since the 1800s.

Archived