The Village Of Southampton: Senior Living At 5020 Kelvin Dr.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.houstonchronicle.com/business/amp/17-floors-of-senior-living-planned-near-Rice-10925074.php?client=safari

Bridgewood Property Co. has purchased a 1-acre property near Rice Village for a 17-story apartment high-rise for seniors offering an urban location with skyline views.

The Houston-based company expects to start construction on The Village of Southampton in 12 months. It closed on the property at the northwest corner of Kelvin and Robinhood this week. The seller has leased back the property for a year. The property currently is occupied by a bar.

920x1240.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming they are referring to Bar Bleu, which is the only bar on that corner, it means this tower will be right up next to the 2520 Robinhood tower (infamous for Robert Durst and for dropping things on the former Hans Bier Haus below it).  Since it will be similar in height, they will obstruct each others views, with the existing tower blocking the Uptown view of the new tower, and the new tower blocking the TMC view of the old tower.

20 hours ago, bobruss said:

Now someone needs to develop a boutique hotel for the Village. I'm sure people who have family or friends in the med center would love to stay in a small hotel with so many dining and shopping options just blocks away. 

The idea was once proposed for Rice Village by the owner of (formerly) Hudson Lounge. 

http://swamplot.com/the-next-neighbor-in-line-for-2520-robinhood-wont-mind-getting-wet/2010-11-12/

And he tells the HBJ‘s Allison Wollam that he and his brothers have some plans for the rest of the property they own directly adjacent to the tower. Once the lending market turns around, he says, they’d like to build a 33-room boutique hotel with a rooftop pool on the site.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.chron.com/news/article/Bridgewood-Property-Co-New-luxury-senior-living-11000610.php

The Village of Southampton, a luxury senior housing community, is projected to begin construction one block from Rice Village in late 2017.

The Village of Southampton will have 17 floors of apartment homes with skyline views of downtown Houston, Rice University, Hermann Park and Texas Medical Center. The state-of-the-art senior housing community is expected to be completed in 2019, bringing independent living, assisted living and memory care options to the Rice Village neighborhood.

The Village of Southampton's amenities will include an indoor heated pool and spa, a fitness center, a movie theater, full-service salon, terraces, secured garage parking for residents and guests, valet and concierge services, formal and private dining, bistro and sky lounge/bar, with numerous additional living areas to encourage socialization and ensure that residents Live Life Well. Shuttle service to the Medical Center also will be provided.

• 2 weeks later...

The existing structure on this site was demolished I think yesterday morning as the site rubble was being cleared as I passed heading to the gym yesterday. Guessing this one will move kind of quickly! 

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The end of this article on the Robinhood Bar-Bleu article mentions that the owner of the bar sold the land to a developer who plans to put up a 20 story residential highrise:

“I recently sold the land that the club sat on to a real estate developer who will build a 20-story high rise,” Klienbart wrote on Facebook, “which will ultimately block of the views (of the Houston skyline).”

https://www.click2houston.com/news/houston-bar-owner-paints-karma-on-parking-lot-ground-after-feud-with-neighbors

I'm not sure it is... the Southhampton Senior Living was for the Northwest corner of this block and the site had already been cleared - this is the Southwest corner.  Perhaps they were needing the Senior Living Center needed the whole half block, but this could be a completely different developer.

Adams family owned a lot of the property in that area and I believe his family owned the southampton day school and were in the process of building a new building on this site where the pool was. He had the Bar Blieu on the south side of the block and the vacant parking lot. I believe that is this site. As reported this was proposed by the developer who purchased this property to be a senior high rise development. This will go up on the east side of the Robinhood.

Adam was good friends with the owners of the Bier Haus who had a major feud with the Robinhood over noise and even had a pitched battle with peopled being hosed by Robinhood tenants from above. 

This is something that has always aggravated the hell out of me. An established business carries on for a as long as they've been in business and then some developer comes along and buys the adjoining property and then the eventual tenants sue the original business for noise or other issues when they were just doing what they had always done. It usually never works out for the original business.

This happened with the Wabash feed store on Washington, which had been there forever, after some townhouses were built adjacent and then someone moved in and didn't like waking up to the animals.

They should have thought about this before they moved in.

6 hours ago, bobruss said:

This is something that has always aggravated the hell out of me. An established business carries on for a as long as they've been in business and then some developer comes along and buys the adjoining property and then the eventual tenants sue the original business for noise or other issues when they were just doing what they had always done. It usually never works out for the original business.

This happened with the Wabash feed store on Washington, which had been there forever, after some townhouses were built adjacent and then someone moved in and didn't like waking up to the animals.

They should have thought about this before they moved in.

Preach it, brother. If I were king, owners of existing businesses would be granted legal immunity against these types of nuisance actions by subsequent purchasers of nearby property who failed to undertake sufficient due diligence before closing, for as long as the business continued to operate. 

I was not aware that Wabash had gotten grief from their neighbors. As a semi-regular customer I like the new location as it's somewhat closer to us than the old one was, but it sucks if the neighbors' attitude was a factor in their decision to move. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I used to play bocce after work at Hans  Bier Haus. 

We played most afternoons. You wouldn't believe how many times we had concrete rain down on us while they were building the Robinhood.

My nephew bought it from Hans. So yeah something will be going overboard.

Karma.

Unfortunately Adam showed his bad side in his departure from the property.

Archived